Top Shelf Aquatics

Friar's Pico

friar1

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I spoke to soon, it seems the snail was just mugged and playing possum! B)

he is alright, coming out of his shell now.

I better learn to not be so worried about the tank hehehehehe

Friar

Now the snail is trying to turn over again. And... I spotted what I think is a new polyp on the Duncan! Woohoo! :lol:

Growth!

Now if I can get some purple stuff in there...

Patience!

Friar

sweet. keep your calcium and alk in check and it will happen. you can also start dosing part a and b. but test accordingly.

lol dont condemn hermits :P

Just make sure they have enough algae around (diatoms are favorite, along with possible leftover mysis bits or w/e you feed your corals)

If theyre not hungry they should not touch anything. so far my blue legged dwarf hermit hasnt touched a living thing. really active at night the little guy :) Rests all day.

what I remember best about those nice hermits you mention if you get non picky ones is when they do find algae or growth we try to select against, they pull on it until it detaches having the strength and pincers to do so~

usually its only hermits and turbo snails I have ever seen approach a small patch of algae quarter inch long, stand there and do something to it until it's notably reduced. the other go-to's like ceriths do wonders for microalgae and not so much for quarter inch fuzz it always seemed to me that using clean up crew approach for taming algae required more than one type of animal vs the water sterility approach using less animals and more water changes...nite guys Im down for the count did like 50 posts 50 pages since friday nearly passing out lol

most cuc used to just graze on by and I'd be thinking "go there, go there!" lol at least the hermits did what we put them in there for

Yeah, he didn't kill the snail, probably just rolled him lol.

I have to spot feed the hermit first, before I feed the Duncan, otherwise he just goes nuts and runs all over the tank trying to get food.

Still trying not to feed too often though. There is algae on the tank sides, the Nerite and ceriths go after it and pretty much stay off the rock now. The Hermit crab is pretty good at keeping it off the rock. No re-appearance of the Green Hair Algae, which is good.

I have begun dosing C-Balance A and B every other day between water changes.

Water Changes 90 to 95 % at least once a week, although three times this week because my baby ric started to float away and I had to get the water low enough in order to work in the tank and cover that one with wedding netting (BTW works good if you can get the right spot). I don't have enough room in that tiny tank to use the shot glass method of attaching the ric to a rock, so I had to cover it with a net on the rock in the tank.

The Zoa has three baby polyps on it, the Duncan, I think, has a new polyp and the Big ric is opening wider now. Oh the rics are Floridas BTW

Going to test the water again tomorrow, want to wait till after dosing.

By the way, Thank you everyone for all the advice!

Friar

perhaps he starved? Friar it sounds like your hermit has very little food available to him other than what you feed your corals...

Well I can easily add some algae food for him, it is sinking veggie rounds, and he loves it.

And the tube worm in the back is getting bigger now too.

Friar

Mr. Microscope

Yeah! What's the deal with those outer tentacle looking things?

Beautiful! Looks just awesome.

FTS! FTS!!!

:)

Yeah! What's the deal with those outer tentacle looking things?

Beautiful! Looks just awesome.

FTS! FTS!!!

:)

I have no idea about those outer tentacles? Anybody out there know what this is? The Duncan still is not opening up very much, But I wanted to leave it be and see what happens. It does eat.

This is kind of weird. I had a 10 watt 50/50 Coralife screw-in bulb in another fixture on that tank, same height about water, and the Zoa did not stretch up to that light very much. But with this new light, that should be about 26 watts altogether, the zoa stretches up to that light, like it is not getting enough. I know it's a brighter light, since I can see everything in the tank so much better. Just don't understand this reef.

Sigh... Wish the Duncan would open up.

Friar

maybe your zoa transformed into a paly?

and thats a ric no doubt about it, maybe its a different variation than the regular Ricordea florida?

maybe your zoa transformed into a paly?

and thats a ric no doubt about it, maybe its a different variation than the regular Ricordea florida?

The only thing I can think of is it's my lights. I got the bulbs and fixture from catalinaaquarium.com I cannot find these 6 inch 13 watt bulbs anywhere else, but I have to think it is what is causing these issues, like the Duncan not opening all the way and the Zoa stretching out and the ric with the long tentacles. I know for instance that the zoa squats down with these lights on if I also shine a flashlight on it.

Wowowo beautiful ric! i hope mine looks that happy one day :)

Hermits are in a love hate relationship with me. They completely cleared my tank of algae, but they seem to enjoy playing a nice game of soccer with my frags <_<

and yes, FTS please :)

thats a palythoa btw lol

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think those are meant to be longer than zoas.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks!

Wow. That ric looks awesome in there. What's in that bag on the right? Also, perhaps I missed this in your thread somewhere, but what kind of powerhead is in there? Looks nice. I like the bidirectional flow.

i think he's anchoring down another ric there lul. thats a really cool method, I might try that in the future if I get more rics that arent attached to anything :)

Oh My Goodness!

So a Paly huh? I was told by the fishstore that it was a ZOA, Red People Eater Zoa. The netting on the right holds a baby ric that came with the mutant ric on the left.

The Pump is a Hydor Pico Evolution Mini Pump 400 But I have added a Y at the end to split the flow up some.

I am still thinking my lighting is a problem. before I changed lights, That Paly/Zoa was much shorter and the duncan opened better than it is now.

But... maybe... the new light is too much for the Duncan, and The Paly is actually doing what it is supposed to??

Any Ideas? I am at a loss here.

Should I increase light? Keep it the same? Reduce Light?

Thanks,

Friar

Archived