Coral Vue Hydros

Friar's Pico

friar1

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everytime I say "The Duncan's opening up more", it stops opening up and starts hiding again. So I won't say that.

Friar

B)

I think my Hermit crab molted. He disappeared for a few days and when he came back he seems bigger with very striking colors.

perhaps? did you find a molt?

in a 1.5 gal its easy to find his molt lol. probably stuck to the filter intake.

and you just said it again :P

Hehe, no, i said I wouldn't say that. So Technically, I didn't say that. I just implied something that may or may not be true ATM. ;)

As for the Molt, this pico has many areas that are not visible unless I turn the tank around, which is not possible at the moment. So I may never know ....

Hermie:

That's what my Daughter calls the Hermit Crab.

She also calls the duncan Stony, because i told her it was a Large Polyp Stony coral. The Zoa (Paly) is Zoe, and the rics are Big Rick and Little Rick.

Go figure...

:D

badfish816

that's cute. that is what Tyree should have done with all their corals. just let their kids name them. lol

Just FYI:

I live in a single wide mobile home in an area that gets in the hundreds during the summer. I would definitely have problems with the tank overheating, because of the lighting I am using, if we did not have a swamp cooler blowing at the tank from across the room. As it is now, with the heater in the tank and the swamp cooler on a timer, the tank stays at 78 F at all times.

It would be very hard to keep a stable temp on this tank without some kind of good airflow and a room temp of 75 -78 F. The lights I am using get very hot, I highly recommend a fan or other airflow around the Tetra 1.5 gallon tanks in order to keep the tank from overheating.

Azoo makes a clip on dual fan that would probably work very well for something like this.

Tank is 48 days old now

Friar

So here is my Dosing and WC regimen. I do a almost 100% WC on Saturdays, skip Sunday, Dose C-Balance on Monday, skip Tuesday, Dose Wednesday, Skip Thursday, Dose Friday, WC Saturday.

Dose 1ml each of part A and B, ten minutes apart

Getting some good purple growth on the rocks now. Corals seem happy.

Friar

Oh yeah, and light feeding the corals a couple hours before water change.

I do have some algae growth, GHA I think, it came after some heavy feeding, so I am going to see if WC's and lighter feeding will take care of it.

It is not now spreading, but the hermit only seems to trim it.

No worries, moderation works for me.

I will be getting some blue LED moonlights I think will really make the tank look cool at night.

Pics coming up in a few days.

Friar

Ok, so I highly recommend Blue LED's However you can get them, for lighting up your corals.

Moonlights apparently will fluoresce the corals (if they are blue moonlight LEDs) but only really are spectacular with all other light shut off, better at night. Well, that's when the corals close up so..

Anyway, I did get some blue LED moonlights for the tank, Really should have gone the extra mile and DIY'ed some Royal blue Crees, but being the impatient man I am, I got these instead. Yes at night with other lights off, the corals really POP but like I said, they are closing up by then.

Will try to get pictures tonight, before the corals close. Should look pretty neat.

I am definitely going to get some Royal Blue Crees in August and rig something up to my Catalina Fixture, being as it is already a giant heatsink.

Man, Blue LED's really light corals.

Excuse my ramble..

Friar

brandon429

Yes Im listening too nice build again Sir, really progressing well welcome to the purple thumbs association.

Well, Thanks you guys!

But,

Still have an Algae issue, though still not spreading fast. I am going to pull it off where I can, and let Hermie eat the rest.

Also have some really good coralline growth although you can't see it in the pics It's cool to see the purple stuff start to take over.

So Pics, the second to the last last one is color enhanced, to give a closer feel of what it looks like, but Blue LEDs make even these corals glow. I am definitely going to DIY a set of blues for this tank, maybe a white too, but not yet.

Blue1.jpg

Blue2.jpg

Blue3.jpg

July FTS:

JulyFTS.jpg

Man those palys are HUGE!

Well...... Just remember, it is a 1.5 gallon tank lol, just think of everything else as really small.. :)

Found this scene in the tank today...

The Nerite snail on top of Hermie, looks like Hermie is going to have a nice shiny shell!

SnailHermie.jpg

Archived