SaltCritters.com

Friar's Pico

friar1

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at Live Aquaria and they are inexpensive, plus very pretty.

On another note...

I have what appears to be two different encrusting algae on my tank sides. One is the familiar Purple Coralline Algae. The other grows very similar to it, but is an ugly green color. Is this coralline? Or something else.

Thanks,

Friar

Its coralline too. The green type is the type thats dominant on the back wall of my pico lol. i guess its kinda ugly, but it looks natural so i dont mind it much haha.

I'm going to try out some lettuce slugs in my 10 gallon. I'll tell you how they do, I will be buying from reefgardiner website, Morgan is pretty cool, and the zoas i got from Morgan last time were very impressive, so i figured i'd get good quality again :)

friar can't believe 5 mos has passed! corals are looking good and you did rescape/clean it up nicely this thread is a great documentation for controlling algae- anyone can get a bloom. if I don't do a bastering or a 10x changeout soon mine might as well, can see detritus building up on the rocks now from waste ejection from various worms, pods, crustaceans etc and the time to act is now, predictively, not reactively so this weekend here comes a storm. it sure wouldn't hurt to blast clean yours once as well just for a fresh start on the sixth month...just set it in a sink, mix up a couple five gallon containers and pour them all through the tank letting it overflow into the sink and the last round will top off the tank for a 10x changeout/sedimentation remover. mine has way more sediment and is built up, if you dont do one now maybe in another few months just to ensure nutrient export...

B

ooooh, that's a good idea brandon. I always see detritus coming up when I change water, problem is it doesn't always siphon out. I should try that when I get some time.

Corals are pretty happy now, I am pleased with the tank.

Friar

try basting everything before you water change (powerheads, filters, rocks, every surface that has crap on it) and get it into suspension, and let the pumps run to keep it there. I did that to my pico last night, and its looking a bit better now :)

Yeah Newman, I always do that, but more comes up when I pour the water back, a bunch more shows up. Well maybe not a bunch, but there always seems to be some left over. I really like using a toothbrush on algae spots, I have a lot of control that way and can clean really close to the corals.

Friar

Looking good friar! You are an inspiration to us other 1.5 gallons tetra tanks. I have just added my first piece of gsp. Hopefully my tank turns out looking as good as yours.

Thanks,

Though it's hardly inspiring :)

There are so many awesome tanks out there, mine can't hold a candle to any of them. It is a great way to get started in the reefing activity, though. I did not have to spend a ton of money, and I am able to see what works and what doesn't work for me on a smaller scale.

I think the next tank will either be a ten gallon or a three gallon. Either way, it will definitely be glass! But I do want to see how long I can keep this one. If I can go a couple of years without crashing, I will be very pleased.

Cheers,

friar

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks,

Though it's hardly inspiring :)

There are so many awesome tanks out there, mine can't hold a candle to any of them. It is a great way to get started in the reefing activity, though. I did not have to spend a ton of money, and I am able to see what works and what doesn't work for me on a smaller scale.

I think the next tank will either be a ten gallon or a three gallon. Either way, it will definitely be glass! But I do want to see how long I can keep this one. If I can go a couple of years without crashing, I will be very pleased.

Cheers,

friar

We can do it! I'm hoping for a few years too.

Looking good, Friar!

Thanks,

Yours too!

Posted in the lighting forum too:

Hi All,

I have a 1.5 gallon Pico, I am considering changing my lighting. Right now I have two 13 watt PC bulbs in a small fixture. I also have 3 Royal Blue LEDs I use to supplement my PC lighting.

Question:

For a tank this size what would be, in your opinion, a good ratio of RB to Cool White Cree 3 watt leds. I was thinking, 2 RB to 1 CW, but maybe 3 RB to 1 CW would be better?

All opinions welcome

What say you?

Thanks,

Friar

Thanks,

Yours too!

Posted in the lighting forum too:

Hi All,

I have a 1.5 gallon Pico, I am considering changing my lighting. Right now I have two 13 watt PC bulbs in a small fixture. I also have 3 Royal Blue LEDs I use to supplement my PC lighting.

Question:

For a tank this size what would be, in your opinion, a good ratio of RB to Cool White Cree 3 watt leds. I was thinking, 2 RB to 1 CW, but maybe 3 RB to 1 CW would be better?

All opinions welcome

What say you?

Thanks,

Friar

Mine is just a few rocks and CUC...corals coming next week!!

You can look in the DIY LED Project thread and look at what CDelicath did. I mimicked the system, 3 RB and one cool white. I splurged and got TWO different Bucpucs...even though one would easily have driven all four LEDs. This allows me to tune the color from stark white to blue-blue.

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Well,

It has been a while. So, I had to get rid of the mithrax crab, he munched on the Duncan. Still have algae, I guess I have been too lazy to really attack it.

But I began about two weeks ago to daily feed my Duncan. It only had one head two weeks ago. it has been that way since I got it. I never really tried to spot feed it til now. Well after two weeks, there are FOUR little heads around the base of the Duncan! Wow, what they say is true. If you feed your Duncan they will multiply. I feed mine one piece of freeze dried mysis shrimp every day.

I think I keep getting Algae because of too much bio load. I do have that red brittle star in there and he is pretty large. So I am running a nitrate sponge and I am going to put in some Purigen in the little In-Tank filter (I have to make two small bags out of the one bag to make this work.)

I am also going to try some more aggressive water change schedule. I have only been doing a 90% water change once a week. I am going to move that to about 50% as often as I can, daily if I get the time.

That's all for now. All my coral are still alive and apparently thriving, just looking at a lot of GHA. Still read these forums regularly, and still in the game!

Friar

for the last several months ive been doing two and three times a week changes just to overdrive the system, and to keep it clean. 2x a week 100% is not hard work, 10 gallons are kept in the pantry open capped just waiting for use. I go to LFS once a month to reup premixed reefcrystals water thats a pretty easy schedule.

the tank doesn't have to be algae free it can be an ongoing project you work while coral gardening like you are. I think duncans are the fastest growing LPS I have ever seen hands down in terms of adding new biomass. one treatment with a flame and it will stop growing, two and three treatments over a couple days and it will peel off in one hour you could have it cleaned up man!

• 2 months later...

Well, no FTS yet , but here is a picture of the Duncan. I began feeding it back in December, 2010 and it took only a little time before there were 8 new heads on the thing. I think it's eight! I lost count. Anyway, I was feeding it one small freeze dried mysis shrimp daily, nothing else. I does the tank with C-Balance 2.3 mL's each part daily.

Duncan040111.jpg

friar things are looking nice I had wondered about this setup! the rock around your duncan shots looks purple, did that c balance ever start to fling coralline on your glass yet? thats a really assertive growth phase for coralline when it starts to wind up on glass, pump surfaces, plastic etc lemme know!

B

HI Brandon,

Oh yeah, it is all over the tank sides. Unfortunately, I let it grow there for a while because it wasn't growing anywhere else that i could see (Nooob Mistake!) Now I can't get it off. Scraping only scratches the Acrylic and it pretty much doesn't come off anyway.

Tank is very healthy now except for GHA. I believe I have a phosphate problem, because I could not get a handle on the GHA until I hooked up a canister filter (ZOO Med Filter for turtle tanks) With Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen in it. Now the Algae is getting under control. I still spend time brushing/burning/pulling it off, but the re-growth is not nearly as bad. My rocks may be leaching phosphate, not sure, but the tank is actually very healthy now and well along the way to being mature since I am growing sponges and other life that I previously had not seen in this tank.

Coming up on 1 year old, on this tank, and although I really like the experiment, I think I am going to set up a three gallon and move my livestock into it.

I may use the Tetra for a fuge though.

If it wasn't for the permanent Coralline on the tank sides, I could keep this tank for a long time.

I am still dosing 2.3 mL each part, ten minutes apart of C-Balance daily. Really made a difference in Coralline growth.

I really like this hobby. And I plan on staying with it, it is a fun learning experience. Thank you for the inspiration! and Help! And that goes for everyone on Nano Reef!. Really a great community.

FTS coming soon, but watch out for that coralline!

Friar

Archived