Top Shelf Aquatics

New vortech mp10 and mp40 EcoSmart driver

timdanger

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
or maybe I just don't speak crazy well enough

that's cool, i'l just be the crazy guy not spending $55 for... NOTHING. if that makes me crazy, i and my $55 are ok with that.

From EcoTech

"Another thing I realized that I'm overlooking. The ES Nutrient Transport Mode is a VERY useful mode even if you just have one pump. This mode alternates between a resonant wave and a flushing function. This will definitely work well even in one pump situations, so long as the tank is appropriately sized to the pump and one pump is able to create a wave.

Even the tidal swell mode WILL work well in one-pump situations. It is just another option to compliment the many others that our drivers provide!"

that's interesting, since their website shows each of those modes as requiring 3 pumps working in tandem to perform those functions.

i'd be interested in an explanation of why these modes work with 1 OR 3 pumps.

that's interesting, since their website shows each of those modes as requiring 3 pumps working in tandem to perform those functions.

i'd be interested in an explanation of why these modes work with 1 OR 3 pumps.

They probably only half (or a 1/3 lol) work with one pump. You'll have on pump doing it's thing expecting that there's another pump counter acting it. You'd still get the surge probably, we'll see I have one on order hopefully arrives sometime next week.

They probably only half (or a 1/3 lol) work with one pump. You'll have on pump doing it's thing expecting that there's another pump counter acting it. You'd still get the surge probably, we'll see I have one on order hopefully arrives sometime next week.

that's what i would think. either it's designed to work together or it's not, right?

ecotech isn't going to say anything that's going to devalue their product, though.

I just got a MP10 today (original driver) and I have it to say it's an awesome pump. It's dead silent and a lot smaller than I expected. :)

I just got a MP10 today (original driver) and I have it to say it's an awesome pump. It's dead silent and a lot smaller than I expected. :)

I was up until 1am setting my new MP10 up also. I had two of the Koralia Nano 425 pumps (newer ones) in there previously and after firing up the MP10 in constant mode at about 50-60% it's not even a close contest. My ES upgrade will be on Tuesday and I already know the dimmable LED and knob control along with the indicator function built into the new LED (battery backup left, % of speed) will be worth the upgrade price. All the new modes will only be the icing on the cake.

I got the es upgrade for my MP10 and it seems to work a lot better than the original driver. I don't get the red flashing light when I'm in reef crest mode or when I have the pump turned down all the way in constant mode. Also it allows you to customize the short pulse waves (autotune) a lot better. So far I'm pleased with it. You can even turn the pump off without unplugging it.

Two pump review

"Well I am really liking the Nutrient Transport Mode at this point. Specifically running this program without a standing wave trained as this makes the two pumps go through a extended period where the alternating pulses go from real short and fast to almost a 2-5 second long pulse mode..

This is then followed by some steady flow right then left.. which seems to increase and decrease as well. Bear in mind I may not have this description completlty accurate but this program run this way is very random when operated without a programmed standing wave. It is much different than just a standing wave short pulse mode were you get nice side to side movement but not much flow from one end of the tank to the other. With this you actually get both. Combine this with a night mode and it might be my program of choice.

To me the Tidal Swell mode is similar to the original lagoon mode and its flow rates are very steady. You would need to stand in front of the pumps for a long time to discern one flow extreme (low or high) to another. I will say that there is something going on with this mode that is new as I have not moved my pumps positions but when I came home from work today I had a new sandscape. I question whether SPS will appreciate this mode as much as something more akin and crashing like the Nutrient Transport Mode though.

I am very happy with these.. the only thing I would like to see in a possible future update is the ability to have a master unit adjust the flow rates of all pumps to kind of duplicate what is going on with Tidal Swell Mode. But do so while still allowing the pumps to operate completly independent flow programs.. for instance 2 long pulse pumps with different pulse lengths, or one pump running long pulse and one reefcrest.. or reefcrest and lagoon.. etc. I think something along those lines would be the ultimate win for this pump and allow it to be custom tailored to an aquarium all while duplicating the tides.

All said and done I am very happy with the upgrade."

Here's the downside of the upgrade:

P3210001.jpg

P3210003.jpg

P3210004.jpg

P3210006.jpg

P3210008.jpg

P3210009.jpg

The mode button overlay broke very easily (see pics).

This happened when I tried to put it in sleep mode. I wasn't pushing the buttons very hard either.

I think the original driver had a better button design and you would think they would work out the little things like this for the price of the unit.facepalm6.gif

• 3 weeks later...

so i'm getting ready to get a solana 34g and want to get vortech pumps or pump. what would you guys recommmend?

i have no idea and have thought of 1 mp10es, 2 mp10wes, 1 mp20, 1 mp40es so help would be appreciated.

so i'm getting ready to get a solana 34g and want to get vortech pumps or pump. what would you guys recommmend?

i have no idea and have thought of 1 mp10es, 2 mp10wes, 1 mp20, 1 mp40es so help would be appreciated.

One mp10 is enough, although if money isn't an issue get a mp40. ;)

One mp10 is enough, although if money isn't an issue get a mp40. ;)

i wish i could be one of those fortunate ones where money wasn't an issue but it is so on that note. should i get a wireless mp10es that way i would have the options to get 2 later is two really not necessary?

i wish i could be one of those fortunate ones where money wasn't an issue but it is so on that note. should i get a wireless mp10es that way i would have the options to get 2 later is two really not necessary?

Get the MP10wES - if you have an Apex controller thy are releasing a module that will communicate with the Vortech wireless units. Also resale value will always be better with these models.

Here's the downside of the upgrade:

P3210001.jpg

P3210003.jpg

P3210004.jpg

P3210006.jpg

P3210008.jpg

P3210009.jpg

The mode button overlay broke very easily (see pics).

This happened when I tried to put it in sleep mode. I wasn't pushing the buttons very hard either.

I think the original driver had a better button design and you would think they would work out the little things like this for the price of the unit.facepalm6.gif

Did you contact Ecotech support? I cannot imagine they would not have the case replaced ASAP for you.

I can't wait finally broke down and bought an mp10 ecosmart version, will be here in a couple days. I've been wanting one of these pumps for a while now!!!

Get the MP10wES - if you have an Apex controller thy are releasing a module that will communicate with the Vortech wireless units.

or don't. sounds like you haven't determined your requirements. how big is your tank? what are you planning on keeping? if money is a concern for you like you said, you should determine your flow requirements in advance -- that way you don't blow $45 on something you end up not using when you could've spent it on something useful/relevant to your application. however, it is just as likely that the wireless option may be good for you. i don't presume to know your situation.

Also resale value will always be better with these models.

based on what? if you're looking at what % of original value you're likely to retain when reselling one of these units, it seems to me that just the opposite is as likely (if not more likely) to be true. people who are only using 1 unit (which i've got to believe is the vast majority of mp10 owners) have no use for the wireless functionality, so it seems to me that the demand for the premium-priced mp10 might actually be lower than the non-wireless version. i very much like that ecotech doesn't make you pay the premium for wireless functionality if you don't need it.

or don't. sounds like you haven't determined your requirements. how big is your tank? what are you planning on keeping? if money is a concern for you like you said, you should determine your flow requirements in advance -- that way you don't blow $45 on something you end up not using when you could've spent it on something useful/relevant to your application. however, it is just as likely that the wireless option may be good for you. i don't presume to know your situation.

based on what? if you're looking at what % of original value you're likely to retain when reselling one of these units, it seems to me that just the opposite is as likely (if not more likely) to be true. people who are only using 1 unit (which i've got to believe is the vast majority of mp10 owners) have no use for the wireless functionality, so it seems to me that the demand for the premium-priced mp10 might actually be lower than the non-wireless version. i very much like that ecotech doesn't make you pay the premium for wireless functionality if you don't need it.

I only presume that they know their own budget and can think for themselves. If you have an Apex controller or are planning on getting an Apex controller I cannot imagine why you wouldn't get the wireless option now and give yourself more options. I think someone pointed out to you in another thread if $45 is going to make or break your tank you might want to get another hobby.

As for resale - I'm sure you are correct that they sell fewer wireless units which means the pool of wireless units available for resale is smaller. More units for resale = lower prices / fewer units = higher price. I'm guessing that people with a smaller tank upgrading to a larger tank will want more pumps not fewer and if you have more than one you might want ability to connect them together -OR- people with a single unit wanting to increase their tank flow will (guessing again) NOT move away from Ecotech but instead add units and want to connect them together.

I only presume that they know their own budget and can think for themselves.

he was asking what to get -- so you're advice is "think for yourself, and then get this one"...?

If you have an Apex controller or are planning on getting an Apex controller I cannot imagine why you wouldn't get the wireless option now and give yourself more options. I think someone pointed out to you in another thread if $45 is going to make or break your tank you might want to get another hobby.

because buying something you won't use is a waste of money? i guess you could always just think of it as a tax on people who are bad at personal finance.

As for resale - I'm sure you are correct that they sell fewer wireless units which means the pool of wireless units available for resale is smaller. More units for resale = lower prices / fewer units = higher price.

sounds definitive. i'd say there's no way it could go any other way. the wireless units will "definitely" retain their value better than the non-wireless units.

I'm guessing that people with a smaller tank upgrading to a larger tank will want more pumps not fewer and if you have more than one you might want ability to connect them together -OR- people with a single unit wanting to increase their tank flow will (guessing again) NOT move away from Ecotech but instead add units and want to connect them together.

"future-proofing" might be a good idea if you have plans to upgrade. otherwise, you may just be overbuying. and, by the time you are actually upgrading, there may be something else out that's better and cheaper. it seems to me that he's asking what to buy for his current tank, though, not some future tank that doesn't exist. again, though -- you don't know what his plans are, and neither do i. so, why presume to guess what's best for him? regardless of the actual outcome of the decision, the default answer should not be "overbuy."

He asked and I answered. I even gave a couple of reasons why I would make the choice such as the announcement last week that Apex controllers can now work with Ecotechs but only if they have the wireless option. I think that is certainly a piece of info I'd like to know about no matter what my budget. If you want to make a big deal out of guessing resale value more power to you. Again, I was simply stating my opinion based on my experiences buying and selling a variety of items which is that items at the higher end or those with more options tend to stand out from the generic items in the marketplace. In turn because there are fewer available (think scarcity) they generally command a higher price. In this specific case I could sell my 10w ES to someone wanting just a single pump with future options or someone with one or more 10w ES units currently or someone with one or more 40w ES units currently or someone who has a controller and wants to manage their pump through also. You selling your straight mp10 will not have the same group of buyers. You might have more people looking for a plain mp10 but I would argue those are composed more of the value group only looking to pay the least amount possible for the fewest features.

he was asking what to get -- so you're advice is "think for yourself, and then get this one"...?

because buying something you won't use is a waste of money? i guess you could always just think of it as a tax on people who are bad at personal finance.

sounds definitive. i'd say there's no way it could go any other way. the wireless units will "definitely" retain their value better than the non-wireless units.

"future-proofing" might be a good idea if you have plans to upgrade. otherwise, you may just be overbuying. and, by the time you are actually upgrading, there may be something else out that's better and cheaper. it seems to me that he's asking what to buy for his current tank, though, not some future tank that doesn't exist. again, though -- you don't know what his plans are, and neither do i. so, why presume to guess what's best for him? regardless of the actual outcome of the decision, the default answer should not be "overbuy."

wow that was some intense bickering. Too me even being poor its only 45 dollars. You both made very good points though.

Jack i did like that you mentioned the controller i had no idea.

People looking to buy things who are researching gather info from multiple areas and like myself i bundle all that together to make my own final discission. I admit i'm inpatient and sometimes buy first and think later but thats my problem. I fell that you both combined helped me.

Pretty sure i'm going to go mp10wES x 1 for now but waiting to get solana tank first

So where is a cheap place to buy vortech pumps?

automatik_33
wow that was some intense bickering. Too me even being poor its only 45 dollars. You both made very good points though.

Jack i did like that you mentioned the controller i had no idea.

People looking to buy things who are researching gather info from multiple areas and like myself i bundle all that together to make my own final discission. I admit i'm inpatient and sometimes buy first and think later but thats my problem. I fell that you both combined helped me.

Pretty sure i'm going to go mp10wES x 1 for now but waiting to get solana tank first

So where is a cheap place to buy vortech pumps?

I am looking at a lot of information on these too and pretty sure I'm going with the same choice. Cheapest I have seen it is on eBay for $220+free shipping. Other than that they seem to run around the $260-275 range.

Archived