Cultivated Reef

New vortech mp10 and mp40 EcoSmart driver

timdanger

psykobowler

I like the idea of the upgrade but it would seem to be a waste to me unless the upgrade involves increasing power and tank capacity like going from an mp20 to an mp40w. I already purchased 4 mp40s, 2 mp20s and 1 mp10. Upgrading all pumps would require serious money. I especially dislike the idea of purchasing additional 2 power supplies to upgrade my 2 mp20s although the $75 price for the module makes it attractive. Then what do I do with the discarted mp20 drivers and ps? I called ecotech if it is possible to use the mp20 driver to an mp10 motor but they said no.

I will be purchasing 4 tunze 6205, 4 tunze 6105, 2 y adapters and a tunze 7095 controller for my 300 which already uses 2 mp40s. It makes the vortech upgrades appear loose change but I would rather save the dough.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just got my ES driver!!! This thing is SICKKK!!!

Unless you have 3 mp40's, I doubt it's worth that many exclamation points.... It's just a fancy looking driver with a on and off switch.

Unless you have 3 mp40's, I doubt it's worth that many exclamation points.... It's just a fancy looking driver with a on and off switch.

better operational modes, better fine tuning abilities, easier to set, easier to make waves,

it does have it's advantages, i've been fooling around with it all afternoon and I have to save i'm pretty impressed

remember i have this MP40w in a shallow 33 gallon so i get amazing wide flow

and for 75 bucks it's no steal BUT I feel like it does leave the old driver box in the dust

and yes the on/off switch does make life a bit more convenient IMO

My issue with this whole debacle is not the debate over the "value" of the upgrade, or whether this technology is worth it, but instead how Ecotech stealthily developed this product and made a surprise release. Why? Well the reason are obvious.. In order to not lose sales on existing in-distribution units, they would have to offer a free trade up program of some type. Why buy an MP40 now when I can get an MP40ES in two weeks? Sales would have declined while the new model is pending.. You might not feel the upgrade is worth it, but if you saw an MP40 and MP40ES sitting next to each other on the shelf, you'd pony up the extra cash at that point right, especially since you are already dishing about $400..

So in the end they took the profit maximization route at the expense of their existing and potential customers. Hide development until the day of product release, and leave a bitter taste in the mouth of the person that just bought an MP40 the day before release. Yet, they announced the Apex integration tech months ago because they knew it was an adjunctive technology and wouldn't render any existing model obsolete. In my case, I bought an MP20 two weeks ago and the only upgrade path to wireless is to upgrade to an MP40. Yet the Mp10 gets an upgrade path to wireless? Leaves me kinda left out in the cold on something I just blew $300 on a few weeks ago..

Just my 2 cents

better operational modes, better fine tuning abilities, easier to set, easier to make waves,

it does have it's advantages, i've been fooling around with it all afternoon and I have to save i'm pretty impressed

remember i have this MP40w in a shallow 33 gallon so i get amazing wide flow

and for 75 bucks it's no steal BUT I feel like it does leave the old driver box in the dust

and yes the on/off switch does make life a bit more convenient IMO

let's be honest here -- "better operational modes"? what's better?

i will give you easier to make waves -- but, i have never had any trouble making waves.

and, you talk about "amazing wide flow" -- but, you're not getting different flow than you got before you paid $75. so, where's the value? is it in the on/off switch?

My issue with this whole debacle is not the debate over the "value" of the upgrade, or whether this technology is worth it, but instead how Ecotech stealthily developed this product and made a surprise release. Why? Well the reason are obvious.. In order to not lose sales on existing in-distribution units, they would have to offer a free trade up program of some type. Why buy an MP40 now when I can get an MP40ES in two weeks? Sales would have declined while the new model is pending.. You might not feel the upgrade is worth it, but if you saw an MP40 and MP40ES sitting next to each other on the shelf, you'd pony up the extra cash at that point right, especially since you are already dishing about $400..

So in the end they took the profit maximization route at the expense of their existing and potential customers. Hide development until the day of product release, and leave a bitter taste in the mouth of the person that just bought an MP40 the day before release. Yet, they announced the Apex integration tech months ago because they knew it was an adjunctive technology and wouldn't render any existing model obsolete. In my case, I bought an MP20 two weeks ago and the only upgrade path to wireless is to upgrade to an MP40. Yet the Mp10 gets an upgrade path to wireless? Leaves me kinda left out in the cold on something I just blew $300 on a few weeks ago..

Just my 2 cents

agreed....good point!!

if you look on the product description page, here, you can see that the graphs that show the flow pattern for the tidal swell and nutrient export mode clearly indicate that 3 pumps need to be communicating wirelessly to use either of the new modes.

To be honest, I don't think it clearly states anything. It states suggestions for where slave pumps should be positioned, but does not say whether they are necessary or not.

With this in mind, I'm off to ask Ecotech. I personally do not believe that these new modes require more than one pump, but we'll see.

**EDIT** Just checked and you DO need more than one pump to take advantage of the new modes. :)

They did confirm today that the MP10 wireless will be compatible with the reef controller modules. :)

Brandon

To be honest, I don't think it clearly states anything. It states suggestions for where slave pumps should be positioned, but does not say whether they are necessary or not.

With this in mind, I'm off to ask Ecotech. I personally do not believe that these new modes require more than one pump, but we'll see.

**EDIT** Just checked and you DO need more than one pump to take advantage of the new modes. :)

They did confirm today that the MP10 wireless will be compatible with the reef controller modules. :)

Brandon

did they say how many you need for each? it looks like you definitely need 3 for tidal surge, but i'm not 100% sure you need 3 for nutrient export (though it looks like you do).

Just my 2 cents

You "blew" $300?! I think you still have a very fine pump and feel the need to whine that Vortech didn't personally call you and clear the release of the new models. You could always return your pump to the store and get the newer one OR use the upgrade path (which is discounted right now $25) and get the $75 MP40w to MP40w ES upgrade and the $50 MP40 power supply. You actually SAVE $20 over just purchasing an MP40w ES outright for $445.

It's crazy that people are b!tching about a company that 1)does NOT just sit around and keep selling the same product but instead invests money in innovation 2)that actually cares enough to give previous customers an upgrade path 3)offers discounts and rebates for recently purchased items.

You "blew" $300?! I think you still have a very fine pump and feel the need to whine that Vortech didn't personally call you and clear the release of the new models. You could always return your pump to the store and get the newer one OR use the upgrade path (which is discounted right now $25) and get the $75 MP40w to MP40w ES upgrade and the $50 MP40 power supply. You actually SAVE $20 over just purchasing an MP40w ES outright for $445.

It's crazy that people are b!tching about a company that 1)does NOT just sit around and keep selling the same product but instead invests money in innovation 2)that actually cares enough to give previous customers an upgrade path 3)offers discounts and rebates for recently purchased items.

couldn't have said it any better myself

I don't know what i'd do without my vortech.....i think its one of the most important pieces of equipment in my tank other than my lights

if you don't understand why, you haven't been reading.

Uh, no, I don't believe I specified that I expected a personal call from Ecotech, nor did I imply that I wasn't appreciative of the fact that they try and innovate new technology. I also didn't say my MP20 was not a "fine pump". All I commented on was the fact that they took a somewhat shady route in both the development and release of this new unit. Tell me then, why not release the fact that it was under development? Why keep it as some sort of top secret project until the day of release? If you can discern some other logic than the one I described, more specifically a reason on Ecotech's behalf that favored the client rather than the seller, then please share. Almost every other company not only informs the client of impending new models, but offers rebates on the soon to be discontinued technology as an incentive to clean inventory. Cars, TV's, computers, software-- they are all discounted once a company announces the arrival of new technology. They don't pretend it's the latest and greatest on the 9th of March, sell it to a customer, and release the new model the next day and say "well, I know you bought this yesterday under the pretext it was the latest model available, and within 24 hours it was discontinued, but at least you can upgrade for X dollars"..

The FACT of the matter is that the way this released was in order to maximize sales and clear current inventory. As someone mentioned in a previous post, the MP20 is now the "red headed step child". Yes there is an upgrade path for me, and that's to move from an MP20 to an MP40-- that already existed. if i wanted to do that I just would have bought an MP40 right off the bat. What I am "whining" about is that people can move from an mp10 to mp10w and an MP40 to MP40 ES, while there is no direct same model upgrade path for MP20 owners. If you don't think Ecotech announcing the Ecosmart in advance would have had a serious impact on off the shelf MP20 purchases, and therefore be able to infer their obvious motives, I don't know what to say..

I like the pump, I like the tech, and I like that they innovate-- nowhere do I or have I implied otherwise. I just said they took a shady and unorthodox route in the development and release of this new driver that was insensitive to their existing and potential customer base. That is all.

Nemo Niblets

It's not like the vortech is the same price. it's more expensive, so just upgrade if you want it and don't upgrade if you don't. You aren't losing much money, if any at all.

I spent 175 on my MP10, and the new MP10w ES us 250. That is 75 bucks less. The upgrade is 85. I'll spend ten bucks more if I wanna upgrade.

I called the MP20 the red headed step child because we werent paying it any attention in our discussion. It is still an awesome pump, and I agree with Bio that Ecotech could have done this a little better. Marinedpot is offering the old MP10's for $20 below the usual price, hopefully this is a trend we will see since there will still be a market for the older style vortechs. Like we discussed earlier, they should adjust their marketing strategy similiar to the introduction of the gen2 MP40W.

I currently have an MP20 in my tank running for the last 1.5 years. I have on order a Mp10w es. I could care less about how Ecotech went about doing this. What they did is pretty much common practice in anyother industry. They don't need to tell anyone squat about what new products are coming out. I bought an 09 vehicle and a week later the 10's were on the lot, boohoo. Look at computers/electronics. Do you complain when you buy a TV to find that the tv company released a new version a week later? Happens all the time.

Umm ok, you bought an '09 vehicle and had no idea they were releasing the '10 the following week? The vendor hadn't discounted the 09 models on his lot to clear inventory for the arrivals of the '10 models? The automakers website had no marketing pictures or details on their new models that were already on a truck pending delivery to your dealership? Mkkkay.. Funny, when I bought my '08 328i, the 09 models were already on their website two months before hitting the dealership and I got a 5K incentive to buy the '08 model rather than wait for the 09..

When I was about to buy an Intel I7 processor, Intel announced the tech and supplied preview models to reviewers months before release.. I wanted to buy a Nvidia 8800GTS video card, but they announced the 860GT with specs months before they hit stores.. The list goes on..

I currently have an MP20 in my tank running for the last 1.5 years. I have on order a Mp10w es. I could care less about how Ecotech went about doing this. What they did is pretty much common practice in anyother industry. They don't need to tell anyone squat about what new products are coming out. I bought an 09 vehicle and a week later the 10's were on the lot, boohoo. Look at computers/electronics. Do you complain when you buy a TV to find that the tv company released a new version a week later? Happens all the time.

From EcoTech

"Another thing I realized that I'm overlooking. The ES Nutrient Transport Mode is a VERY useful mode even if you just have one pump. This mode alternates between a resonant wave and a flushing function. This will definitely work well even in one pump situations, so long as the tank is appropriately sized to the pump and one pump is able to create a wave.

Even the tidal swell mode WILL work well in one-pump situations. It is just another option to compliment the many others that our drivers provide!"

here's mine

IMG_0571.jpg

Ahh! I'm so jealous. Just having that case over the old one makes the upgrade worth it. Atleast I can put it outside now instead of hiding it in my cabinet. It sucks the discount is only until April 31st. I was going to wait but looks like I have to act on it quickly.

From EcoTech

"Another thing I realized that I'm overlooking. The ES Nutrient Transport Mode is a VERY useful mode even if you just have one pump. This mode alternates between a resonant wave and a flushing function. This will definitely work well even in one pump situations, so long as the tank is appropriately sized to the pump and one pump is able to create a wave.

Even the tidal swell mode WILL work well in one-pump situations. It is just another option to compliment the many others that our drivers provide!"

I'm waiting for someone to reply that Ecotech should pay all previous owners $25 for releasing this feature on the newer models. 3...2...1...

Umm ok, you bought an '09 vehicle and had no idea they were releasing the '10 the following week? The vendor hadn't discounted the 09 models on his lot to clear inventory for the arrivals of the '10 models? The automakers website had no marketing pictures or details on their new models that were already on a truck pending delivery to your dealership? Mkkkay.. Funny, when I bought my '08 328i, the 09 models were already on their website two months before hitting the dealership and I got a 5K incentive to buy the '08 model rather than wait for the 09..

When I was about to buy an Intel I7 processor, Intel announced the tech and supplied preview models to reviewers months before release.. I wanted to buy a Nvidia 8800GTS video card, but they announced the 860GT with specs months before they hit stores.. The list goes on..

try buying a Toyota in BC Canada. Models such as the Tacoma truck don't get discounted. Your right about computer parts, but there are thousands of review/news websites, not a whole lot of aquarium product review sites. In the end it really isnt such a big deal. They still offer the non ES mp40 on their site The ES is an "upgraded" model for a higher price, just as the M3 is the higher price model to your 328i. People shouldn't get all worked up as Ecotech is offering an upgrade path at a very reasonable price. It reminds me of my brother in law trying to take his 50" tv back after owning it for 2 months and the store lowering the price,lol.

I'm waiting for someone to reply that Ecotech should pay all previous owners $25 for releasing this feature on the newer models. 3...2...1...

Sweet! Where did that come from?

Brandon

From EcoTech

This is good to know. :)

Brandon

Archived