ReefCleaners.org

New vortech mp10 and mp40 EcoSmart driver

timdanger

He asked and I answered. I even gave a couple of reasons why I would make the choice such as the announcement last week that Apex controllers can now work with Ecotechs but only if they have the wireless option. I think that is certainly a piece of info I'd like to know about no matter what my budget. If you want to make a big deal out of guessing resale value more power to you. Again, I was simply stating my opinion based on my experiences buying and selling a variety of items which is that items at the higher end or those with more options tend to stand out from the generic items in the marketplace. In turn because there are fewer available (think scarcity) they generally command a higher price. In this specific case I could sell my 10w ES to someone wanting just a single pump with future options or someone with one or more 10w ES units currently or someone with one or more 40w ES units currently or someone who has a controller and wants to manage their pump through also. You selling your straight mp10 will not have the same group of buyers. You might have more people looking for a plain mp10 but I would argue those are composed more of the value group only looking to pay the least amount possible for the fewest features.

well, that certainly is a lot of information you've laid out here. and, it'd be very relevant if he were asking what kind of mp10 YOU should get.

however, again, he's asking what kind HE should get. you can answer that question based on your broad and diverse experience, etc., but at the end of the day, you're sitting here telling him what to do without knowing anything about his situation. so, again, i'm not going to presume to know his current and future plans. maybe he has an 8g biocube, and that's all he wants for now. still think he should pay for the wireless version? or, maybe he has a 40b and plans to upgrade to a 125 in the next year. totally different scenario.

now, to everyone who is saying "it's just $45" -- this hobby is expensive enough without throwing away a $45 gee-whiz tax on something without even getting to the question of whether you're going to use it. i'm not saying wireless functionality is not useful (in fact, as i've said all along, it might even be worth paying for the expensive upgrade charge if it's something you want/need), and i'm not saying that someone won't in fact use it, but let's get serious. for anyone for whom money is an object of consideration, it's crazy to pay a 20%+ markup for a feature without getting to the question of whether you plan to use it. that spending behavior, even if nominal in an isolated instance, adds up.

edit: incidentally, "budget" is not the only relevant question here -- again, it gets back to the concept of not paying for something you're not going to use.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my mp10 a few months before the new one was released. I didnt like how the original mp10 was advertised to have the autoshutoff feature when it doesnt work. With that being said, the new mp10 driver does have a working autoshutoff feature but because of the other features it comes with it wouldnt be fair for the original mp10 owners to expect a free upgrade. It would be nice if the upgrade for the mp10 was cheaper because the upgrade is targeted to the existing originial mp10 owners who were sold a falsely advertised product.

Archived