Innovative Marine Aquariums

New vortech mp10 and mp40 EcoSmart driver

timdanger

EcoTech is putting out a new "EcoSmart driver" for the mp10 and mp40. product details here.

seems pretty neat. no idea what kind of cost we'd be talking about to upgrade. but, the upgrades seem possibly worthwhile. i'm especially interested in seeing the tidal surge mode, nutrient transport mode. and, the auto-dim LEDs would be huge for those who have a bedroom aquarium.

no pricing yet, but they say they'll be shipping out at the end of the month.

who's getting one?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talked to a guy at Vortech and I'm pretty sure he said MP10 ES will be $220 and the MP10w ES will be $265. I should have written it down but those numbers are really close.

HUH!! Looks like MP20 owners are left out? :mellow:

Since I don't own a Vortech could someone enlighten me on what the advantage is for a wireless pump?

according to Reef Builders, the "upgrade" costs will be:

MP40:

Full price for the MP40w EcoSmart upgrade is $100

(This is discounted to $75 for all customers until April 30th)

MP20:

You need to purchase a MP40 Power Supply $50

MP40w EcoSmart upgrade is $100

(remember the this is discounted to $75 until April 30th)

MP10:

Full price for the MP10 EcoSmart upgrade $85

(no discount)

frankly, $85 is extremely expensive for what you're getting as an upgrade, and i personally can't see paying that. this pricing makes me much, much less interested. neat for those getting it new, but it just seems silly to me that ecotech would expect me to pay $85 on top of the $195 i already paid for my mp10, especially when the new mp10 ES model would sell for $25 more (or $75 more for wireless functionality). also, absolutely absurd that they'd be selling the upgrade for the mp40 for less than the mp10 ($75 for the first month versus $85 for the mp10!?)!

i'm sure they'll sell plenty of mp10s and mp40s with the new ecosmart driver... but as far as an upgrade goes, no thanks, ecotech.

That being said, the Reef Builders article didn't specify whether $85 was the price for an upgrade to the ES or the ESw or both. So, maybe that's the cost for the wireless driver and the ES is cheaper? that would be the only redeeming thing.

bananahands

Since I don't own a Vortech could someone enlighten me on what the advantage is for a wireless pump?

As far as I know, you only benefit if you have more than one pump. They communicate wirelessly (sp?) and coordinate their "efforts" to maximize the movement in your tank. Or you can set them up to go opposite, it just keeps your options open.

advantage of the wireless communication between pumps is so that they can synch up to create waves (one driver is the master, the other is the slave).

That being said, the Reef Builders article didn't specify whether $85 was the price for an upgrade to the ES or the ESw or both. So, maybe that's the cost for the wireless driver and the ES is cheaper? that would be the only redeeming thing.

Per the Vortech website the cost to upgrade an MP10 to an MP10 ES is $55 and to upgrade an MP10 to an MP10w ES is $85

Big Al's Online

From what I understand, the Nutrient Transport mode and Tidal Surge Mode require three wES pumps to function as intended.

I could be wrong, but that is what I got from the description of the modes.

I guess some will do it, but personally, I can't imagine putting in more than 1 Vortech in my BC29! Looks like the "plain Jane " version will do.

From what I understand, the Nutrient Transport mode and Tidal Surge Mode require three wES pumps to function as intended.

I could be wrong, but that is what I got from the description of the modes.

it kind of does seem that way, doesn't it? that's what i get as well.

i really have to question the value of this upgrade for any nano-sized tanks. so, what are we getting for the money? the auto-dim LEDs and an easier-to-tune wave-making function?

Per the Vortech website the cost to upgrade an MP10 to an MP10 ES is $55 and to upgrade an MP10 to an MP10w ES is $85

still, that cost makes me completely uninterested in upgrading. at least you are getting something functionally significant for upgrading to the wireless driver.

i mean, i don't necessarily think that they're making a killing on margins with the upgrade kits, but let's get real folks -- where is the value in paying $55 beyond the $195 retail cost of the mp10? anybody?

very disappointing. maybe instead of the non-wireless upgrade, ecotech should've worked on making the mp10 quieter.

I know it's kinda expensive but this is great news. I've been wondering when a wireless mp10 will come out. I only have a 5g or so tank but it's shallow and I cannot blast my mp10 without blowing sand and sucking air. So another mp10 on the other side would be great.

Does anyone know if this will allow a mp40wES to control a mp10wES?

Big Al's Online
I know it's kinda expensive but this is great news. I've been wondering when a wireless mp10 will come out. I only have a 5g or so tank but it's shallow and I cannot blast my mp10 without blowing sand and sucking air. So another mp10 on the other side would be great.

Does anyone know if this will allow a mp40wES to control a mp10wES?

Yes, the wES drivers (both MP10 and MP40) are able to talk to one another.

Yes, the wES drivers (both MP10 and MP40) are able to talk to one another.

Cool. Thanks. That gives me a little more options. I was contemplating adding another mp40 in my 120g. Now I can go with adding the mp10 (or maybe another mp40) and an mp10 on the other end of the tank. God so much options and so much more money to spend. :lol:

Will you pay me 55 bucks for a frag of that bright green monti cap in my tank thread?

Sure man, and then you can buy the mp10 upgrade! :P

55 bucks is hardly a big expense in this hobby, come on.

gtfo richie rich! :slap:

seriously though, while $55 isn't the biggest expense in this hobby, the question is what are you even getting for that money? if you don't have 3 mp10s, you're paying $55 for the auto-dim, on/off switch and easier wave programming -- and, that would make you a sucker.

Here are a few things from the website that aren't available with the standard MP10. No mention of being a able to saving settings in case of a power failure though and after snooping around it looks like the auto-tune allows you to create a wave easier than in the past.

Feed Mode - User can select the duration and speed for Feed Mode.

Night Mode - User can select the duration and speed for Night Mode.

Battery Backup Mode - The LED’s on your EcoSmart driver will count down to indicate how much power is available within the battery.

Auto-Dim - LED’s are turned off and display knob dimmed significantly, but pump functions in its current mode. User can program how long after use before the driver enters Auto-Dim.

On/Off Switch - Tap the on/off switch to turn off and turn on a pump. Hold this button to turn off all pumps in a master/slave group. Tap any pump in the groups’ on/off switch and that pump will turn back on.

Here are a few things from the website that aren't available with the standard MP10. No mention of being a able to saving settings in case of a power failure though and after snooping around it looks like the auto-tune allows you to create a wave easier than in the past.

Feed Mode - User can select the duration and speed for Feed Mode.

Night Mode - User can select the duration and speed for Night Mode.

Battery Backup Mode - The LED’s on your EcoSmart driver will count down to indicate how much power is available within the battery.

Auto-Dim - LED’s are turned off and display knob dimmed significantly, but pump functions in its current mode. User can program how long after use before the driver enters Auto-Dim.

On/Off Switch - Tap the on/off switch to turn off and turn on a pump. Hold this button to turn off all pumps in a master/slave group. Tap any pump in the groups’ on/off switch and that pump will turn back on.

$55 for adding things that should've been included in the first place? i'm underwhelmed.

Archived