Militant Jurist

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6

Hey MJ. Loving the tank!!!

I Love Engineer Gobies, pics? :flower: Please? :lol:

Your Dinosaurs are awesome!!!!

Glad to hear your dad is getting better :)

Militant Jurist
Coolness.

B)

Hey MJ. Loving the tank!!!

I Love Engineer Gobies, pics? :flower: Please? :lol:

Your Dinosaurs are awesome!!!!

Glad to hear your dad is getting better :)

Thanks! The engineer is awesome, but so hard to photograph! He's still a bit nervous, and spends a lot of time in his cave. He darts out to get food, and then darts back in! The wrasse does the same thing. Hopefully as everyone gets settled in, they'll all start to feel a bit more comfortable, and less camera shy.

The doc actually gave my dad the green light for a bit of a road trip, so he's actually coming down here tomorrow for lunch. It's about a 2 hour drive, so it will be his longest trip so far. :)

Sounds good! IDK if I'll get to cutting it tonight, so I may bring it with me to cut there.

Sounds great to me!

animalmaster6
Thanks! The engineer is awesome, but so hard to photograph! He's still a bit nervous, and spends a lot of time in his cave. He darts out to get food, and then darts back in! The wrasse does the same thing. Hopefully as everyone gets settled in, they'll all start to feel a bit more comfortable, and less camera shy.

The doc actually gave my dad the green light for a bit of a road trip, so he's actually coming down here tomorrow for lunch. It's about a 2 hour drive, so it will be his longest trip so far. :)

I went to the NE Aquarium today and I have a few videos and pics of a pair of Engineer Gobies ;)

That's awesome about your dad :)

• 3 weeks later...
Militant Jurist
Hey what is going on with this build????? :unsure:

It's got a bit of an algae problem right now, and that's what I've been tackling (in what little time I seem to have). My plan of attack is to first get a larger WC bucket (5g at a time just isn't cutting it). Second, I'm going to move the single rubbermaid sump from the 20L to the 75, and move the skimmer from the 29 to the 75's sump. That will allow me to use the cheato, mangroves, and chemi-pure for the 75's algae reduction mission. Once that's all done, I'll finally start putting together the two rubbermaid sump planned for the 75.

Ye-ah!!

:happy:

Militant Jurist
Damn large Monti ya got thurr.... :o

And that's the smaller of the two I got recently. The other is almost double that size. :happy:

Militant Jurist

Bad news: The tank was struck down by some kind of fast growing algae (or maybe dinos?) that managed to kill the red monti (the small, not the super large) and possibly a couple of mushrooms, which gives an idea of how nasty this stuff was.

Thankfully, I caught it early, and was able to move a few of the corals back to the 20L for QT. The tank has been lights out since Wednesday or so, and the fish, shrimp, and snails have all been OK (knock on wood). I'm not exactly sure what happened, but the stuff is disappearing. To treat whatever it was, I move the sump from the 20L to this tank, put in a fresh bag of chemipure, and added some of the flame algae to the sump to aid in nutrient export.

However, this is not a post of all bad news. I got a new coral yesterday at the local club swap. It's known locally as a porkyspawn. Here's a picture:

100_1456.jpg

Most of the tips have a purple looks, but some random tips have a bright green. It looks very cool!

Pretty sorry bout tht algea outbreak I for some reason have this yellow dusting stuff on my rocks that I have been fighting. It chokes out whatever it touches. But I will win I added a phos and carbon reactor and I am going to do a large waterchange today. Good luck with your new coral Looks very nice

Militant Jurist
Pretty sorry bout tht algea outbreak I for some reason have this yellow dusting stuff on my rocks that I have been fighting. It chokes out whatever it touches. But I will win I added a phos and carbon reactor and I am going to do a large waterchange today. Good luck with your new coral Looks very nice

Thanks! Phos/GFO seems to do wonders when it comes to combating algae problems. I need to get another media bag, and then I'm going to add some to the 75 as well.

Here's hoping you'll be able to eradicate the Evil Algae soon. :flower:

:happy: Nothing quite like the smell of genocide in the morning.

I'm hoping today to begin the double-sump project for the 75. I'm going to see if HD has a pair of rubbermaids that will fit within my stand.

Militant Jurist

Mission update: I found two 18 gallon totes that will fit under the sump, once I remove the handles.

Two questions will need to be answered before the sump is operational.

1) Which should go first, the equipment or the fuge? If I go equipment in the first tote, it should help prevent microbubbles from the skimmer getting into the DT.

2) Where should I drill, height-wise? 1/2 up from the bottom? 2/3 up? 3/4 up? If I go halfway up, the tanks will stay equal for longer, but if I go 2/3 or 3/4, the first tote will typically be fuller. At 3/4, the first tote would be nearly the same all of the time. I'm inclined to go 3/4, if I put the equipment in the first tote, so that the skimmer will have a more steady water level. However, that means that the return pump will be kept among the live rock.

Militant Jurist

Another bit of good news today: I had thought the gorgonian was a goner, but when I went to feed the tank today, its polyps were fully extended. :happy:

I still haven't seen the wrasse since the start of this ordeal though.

Needreefunds

I think I would drill them so as to set the water level required by the skimmer and install that in the first tub.

Keep up the fight Tyler.

I am still having a battle with Cyano in my 75...you, me, Kim...mebe it's a 75 thing. -_-

Sorry about the losses.

Militant Jurist
I think I would drill them so as to set the water level required by the skimmer and install that in the first tub.

Keep up the fight Tyler.

I am still having a battle with Cyano in my 75...you, me, Kim...mebe it's a 75 thing. -_-

Sorry about the losses.

Thanks Richie. I guess I just have to be thankful that I haven't had this kind of loss before now. The more thought I've put in to it, the more I'm inclined to do just that. I won't have to worry about the skimmer running crazy (or dry), and it's much easier to watch the water level in one sump than to keep an eye on smaller changes in the two. Eventually, I'll get an ATO.... someday. :P

Yes the dreaded 75 algae curse LOL

I think you're both right! Maybe it's a sign we should stay with nanos... then again, I ignore signs all the time. :P

Needreefunds

I set up and ATO already...

I automatically dump 2 gallons of RODI into the sump every other day. :happy:

Militant Jurist
I set up and ATO already...

I automatically dump 2 gallons of RODI into the sump every other day. :happy:

I have something like that.... I call it the TTO (Tyler Top Off). :P

Thanks! Phos/GFO seems to do wonders when it comes to combating algae problems. I need to get another media bag, and then I'm going to add some to the 75 as well.

:happy: Nothing quite like the smell of genocide in the morning.

I'm hoping today to begin the double-sump project for the 75. I'm going to see if HD has a pair of rubbermaids that will fit within my stand.

IME, using something like Blueline or Brightwell's phosphate remover is better. I use it when I remember.. but it stripes out phosphates faster than GFO can do and it doesn't affect alk.

You can have a dose from me if you want to try it. I used to use GFO and had a lot of trouble getting phosphates down. Now I have no trouble and I can zap phosphates down to 0 overnight (I didn't do that on purpose.. you should still do it gradually).

Militant Jurist
IME, using something like Blueline or Brightwell's phosphate remover is better. I use it when I remember.. but it stripes out phosphates faster than GFO can do and it doesn't affect alk.

You can have a dose from me if you want to try it. I used to use GFO and had a lot of trouble getting phosphates down. Now I have no trouble and I can zap phosphates down to 0 overnight (I didn't do that on purpose.. you should still do it gradually).

That's awesome! Sounds like you've found the nuclear option for phosphates. I'm going to test the water in the 75 tonight to see where the parameters are now, and if I still have phosphate showing up, I'll take you up on your offer of a dose. Thanks!

Archived