Pod Your Reef

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

WOW I just read your whole thread. I never read up on breeding.I just assumed the eggs hatched and you added rotifiers from a bottle and that was it. Alot sure goes into this.I will tag this thread.

Welcome along... I'm trying to post as much detail as I can. I thought reefing was addicting until I got into this.

The little ones are still plugging away - I'd expect they'd be further along developmentally if I had the proper food. Looks like I will be getting some otohime a and b in the mail this week and my rots numbers are starting to pick back up.

I'm a little concerned about the current batch of eggs because the anemone spread itself right over the top of them today. Hasn't stretched that direction in month but go figure - large nest and he has to bother them. Hopefully the pair is Ok with it... otherwise the eggs may be gone by morning.

Day 15 and still going...

Good news is the otohime shipment is on the way and I'll have it on time for my next clutch! :happydance:

cool, the little guys still havent gone through meta yet?

They still look like tadpoles... but active and eating, look the same no color changes or at least not much. I'm sure it's the diet. If they make it long enough I'll try some the otohime on them and see if it doesn't help.

Chicagoclowns

And how is ol pete doing. Coloring up nicely? You should try bbs thats what joyce j wilkersons book recommended. You should be able to get some eggs from a local fish store.

Alright weirdedt thing i noticed today. Since i have been power feeding krill and mysis once a day with cyclopeze three or four a day m clowns are all brightening up. Now this obviously is a sign that their getting the proper nutrition however my semi picassos are the strangest. They are like glowing deep orange and for the first time today i noticed that they have the same blue highlights where the white meets the orange so im only thinking maby theres some snow in there gene pool.

Ne thoughts?

Ne thoughts?

I'm going to give it a go with the otomine and try it without the bbs... seems like plenty of people have had great success rates with just the rots and otohime. If my numbers are still low after this next clutch I'll order the bbs - just one more thing to look after and culture though. I'd deffinately have to mail order it. Here where I live I have to mail order most of my supplies. There is a fish store in town but it's mostly fresh water and the salt water department consists of 2 tanks. Beyond them the next nearest one is about an hour drive.

Old Pete? LOL... OK I guess?

I really don't know about picasso / snow deal as every Picasso I've ever seen was a true perc and I thought all snows where ocellaris. That's deffinately the cyclopeeze coloring them up - it's amazing what happens when you start feeding them a few times a day.

i never feed cyclopeez specifically but make my own frozen and the fish are shaped like me(n ice and plump). the colors on them look great. i think the best thing you can do is feed a balanced diet. power feeding them will help get things started but after a few weeks it kills a reef system(too much nutrients) i am a once a day feeder and never had a problem

DSCN3237.jpg

color looks good to me :D

DSC_0526.jpg

my 2 breeders

Chicagoclowns

maby it was yours or one of Christos threads haha from one of the first spawns there was only one survivor and it was named pistol Pete but maby i have yours and Christos mixed up lol.

Yea I know that picassos are percs and snows are occ but maby there were mixed somewhere along the line. I bought these as just plain percs from a store but there stripe pattern suggests semi picassos and now with the blue coming in I thought only snows has that kind of color

rrgc - Very nice colors... I've been rotating 4 different foods and a mix of my own frozen mix made from uncooked store bought seafoods. They really seem to like it. My fish do have cyclopeeze in their diet and seem to really enjoy it. I give it on occassion as more of a treat. I used to give them the dry but it scattered all over the tank and I wondered how much they actually got. So I purchased an ice cube tray that makes small cubes... then mix the dry cyclopeeze in RO/Di, then freeze the mix in the small ice cube trays. Then I just feed the cubes to the tank. The fish pick at it as it thaws and less of the cyclopeeze is dispersed all over the tank.

I have also cut back on the feeding for my breeding pair. I am however more careful about what they get. I try to avoid too much shrimp in the diet - I've read it can make the eggs hard and backed away from it. My hatches seem to go well at this point so I just assume keep the pair on the diet they are on.

Chicago - I think pistol pete is GTAquatic's

Chicagoclowns

I think your right. I bounce around the three of your threads and try to pick up as much information as possible so when i have my lucky day i at least have some sort of knowledge lol.

couple questions tho.

1. Are 5.5 gallon tanks sutable for larval to growout. (obviously something larger when they reach several months).

2. are you adding green water to your larval tanks Once a day or more?

3. Is having alot of diatoms on the glass and sand going to discourage breeding?

I was told to go with a 10g for larvae - it just makes it easier. As time progresses I can add more water and increase the air circulation. As of yesterday I would say I have about 7 gallons going. You wouldn't get much time out of the 5 gallon. Besides if you manage to get a large amount of fry to survive and 5 gallon would be very difficult to maintain water quality in. I have been doing water changes daily and since last week I've started putting back in more then I'm taking out.

I tinted the water twice a day while feeding rotifers. It was two fold for me - for one you want to the rotifers in the with fish to have enough to eat and second the darker water dims the lighting making it less stressful on the fry.

I'm not sure about diatoms - but I was told algae was fine and sometimes encoraged. I was told not worry about green walls or even cyano for that matter. One reference stated that the algae gave the fish the impression that food would be available for the fry. If it has any merrit to it... I do not know.

i actually used to use 1 gallon pickle jars for hatching, i know use 5.5 gallons and it seems easier for me because i do not have to add a bazillion rots for the fish to bump into them, once thru meta and eating well they get bumped to a 20 gallon grow in tank...used that on purpose

So you are hitting meta in about a week is that right? So after a week you are moving them to the 20 with I'm going to assume a sponge filter?

after a week to ten days. as long as they are all stable and eating the oto is when i move. usually after the last head stripe forms i wait a few more days then over they go. i also read that you are slow dripping the water back in. i read somewhere as long as you are not pouring the new water in you can speed the process up. so i usually pour my new waterchange water into a cup and let it overflow over the edges. this way no clowns get bumped around. takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to do the changes afetr meta, before i kinda run it at a fast drip rate (slow peaing stream)

It's funny because you talk to ten different people and get ten completely different ways of doing things. I guess I'm using a mix of what everyones given me and tweaking it to find what will work for me.

At the rate my current clutch is going my next clutch is going to catch them and pass them!

FishEyeAquaculture
i kinda run it at a fast drip rate (slow peaing stream)

This is how fast I do my water changes too. No dripping over here and no problems.

This is how fast I do my water changes too. No dripping over here and no problems.

Noted... thanks for the input!

reef keeper

This thread and all the other ones about clownfish rock!! Im buying a snowflake clownfish from hyperboy and trying to pair it with my picasso.

Thanks... wish I had more to update. I counted 13 this morning before leaving for work - they are getting more active it seems but I still can't make out head stripes. In the mean time I'm getting set up for a friday night hatch. I hope that I get many more of those babies to make it.

So this was interesting...

Through my local reef club I found out that our LFS owner started as a breeder and spent 10 years breeding clowns. I was in that part of town on a break today so figured I'd stop in and pick his brain a little. He did agree that the delay in Meta was most likely a nutritional issue and warned me to keep an eye out for any other defects in the fish. But he also mentioned he would be happy to buy my healthy fish once they where old enough.

Then I asked him about picassos and if he could get a hold of one for me. He said - no. I was a little suprised at the answer because he stated he could get me anything else. When I asked why he stated that picassos are misbars (which I kind of knew) that resulted that way because of some sort of difficiency in the breeding process. When I asked then what about snowflakes he said they are different as snowflakes had been selected and bred for wider bands to get the desired traits.

This left me a little confused since people like Doni (Doni's Reef) breed picassos using fish that have that particular misbar charectoristic and produce a percentage of offspring with the picasso pattern. So this would lead me to believe it is a genetic trait. Is it possible that the initial result came from some sort of chemistry / nutritional abnormality? Possibly - but once they have the charectoristic aren't they able to pass it to the offspring? I would think so.

I wanted to ask if it was that he couldn't get me one or that he wouldn't get me one due to his idea or belief of how the fish came to be. I mean I can go online and buy one in 5 minutes... obviously someone with a vendors license could get a hold of one as well.

I had a bunch of other questions for him but the whole picasso conversation left my head spinning and I called it a day.

Then I asked him about picassos and if he could get a hold of one for me. He said - no. I was a little suprised at the answer because he stated he could get me anything else. When I asked why he stated that picassos are misbars (which I kind of knew) that resulted that way because of some sort of difficiency in the breeding process. When I asked then what about snowflakes he said they are different as snowflakes had been selected and bred for wider bands to get the desired traits.

Sounds like as a breeder he was offended that someone screwed up, liked the result and capitalized on it. That is quite strange.

This is out of Coral Magazine - http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/li...-rare-clownfish

"The PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish is not a “designer clownfish” or a new species. It is, quite simply, an aberrant wild-caught Premnas biaculeatus. There is some debate about whether the pattern, or misbarring, is genetic or environmental. “I doubt that this Maroon clownfish is a mutant,” says Martin Moe, author of The Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder.

“The term mutant indicates a changed genetic basis for the misbarring, but most likely, in my opinion, a very unusual environmental or biological stimulus during the larval period created these patterns.”

Nonetheless Moe thinks the pattern may be reproducible. “I guess the best chance for setting such a trait in a strain of this species would be to breed it with other Maroons from the same general area where that predisposition might be present in the population and see what happens.”

Sounds like, he wouldn't based on his belief. I plan on getting a pair from Doni Marie. Her clowns look great and very healthy.

Glad you had better luck getting snowflakes.