Pod Your Reef

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Awesome, very exciting!!!! :D

I'm pretty stoked - just 3 weeks after the move and they are back at it. This first nest is a little scattered (like she is out of practice) but a respectable size.

I'm going to go ahead and hatch them out - being New Years day eggs and all, I just can't pass it up.

So I spent the little bit of free time I had this week working on the brood stock system and this afternoon I put the finishing touches on and made my brackets for my lights. I have to admit - it looks awesome and I was right on track to move it into the house tomorrow.

That is until...

I walked out to the workshop and saw a bunch of water on the floor - one the upper 20L's cracked from the 3rd hole down to the corner. The only good news is that the Petco dollar per gallon sale is going again. I'll need to pick up another tank this week - paint it, drill it and get it ready to install. What I didn't do was support the drain lines on the upper tanks and I think that was my mistake.

Luckily I found out while it was still in the work shop full of tap water and not in the house filled with my pairs.

Sorry to hear about the tank, but at least it just had tap water in it. I love Petco's $1 a gallon sale. I look forward to seeing pics of the new brood stock system.

Sorry to hear about the tank, but at least it just had tap water in it. I love Petco's $1 a gallon sale. I look forward to seeing pics of the new brood stock system.

The funny thing is when I went out there I had my camera so I could shoot some video of it. It just wasn't meant to be this weekend. I'll have it done next weekend. (i hope)

you won the bet it seems!! crap. mine are kind of skittish still. they stay behind the pot in the corner. but they come out to eat all the time. dunno what up with them.

my darwins laid on friday so i should have made the wager dawin vs darwin. hehe

you won the bet it seems!! crap. mine are kind of skittish still. they stay behind the pot in the corner. but they come out to eat all the time. dunno what up with them.

my darwins laid on friday so i should have made the wager dawin vs darwin. hehe

Yeah...you'd of had me there. It's a really small and scattered nest though. I don't even know if it will be worth hatching. If I do hatch out this clutch it's going to be just because they are the first spawn of 2012 for me.

It was insane - on the left side of the picture (just over the firemen) is the fireplace and living room where the christmas tree stood - looks like that is where it started. That photo is no more than 30 minutes after the blaze broke out . I couldn't believe how fast it went up.

Like I said, luckily no one was home at the time... had that started in the middle of the night it might of been a completely different story.

Funny thing about living in a small town, the fire department doesn't chase you away - they tell you what you can do to help.

Edited by Pickle010
It was insane - on the left side of the picture (just over the firemen) is the fireplace and living room where the christmas tree stood - looks like that is where it started. That photo is no more than 30 minutes after the blaze broke out . I couldn't believe how fast it went up.

Like I said, luckily no one was home at the time... had that started in the middle of the night it might of been a completely different story.

Funny thing about living in a small town, the fire department doesn't chase you away - they tell you what you can do to help.

I'm just glad nobody was hurt. It is cool living in a small town. If the fire department can use your help, they should.

Just talked to the home owner - it was the Christmas tree. Tree was dry and they left the lights on when they went out.

That has to be hard to live with honestly. I'm sure everything will work out for them though.

phillyclownfish

Anyone here using rods breeders blend, if so how much are you feeding it? Was thinking about using it only three times a week due to the amount of fat in the food.

Anyone here using rods breeders blend, if so how much are you feeding it? Was thinking about using it only three times a week due to the amount of fat in the food.

Not I sorry... maybe one of these other guys will speak up.

Making plans to expand! :naughtydance:

Seeing how long it took me to put a brood stock tank together (no it's not done - well it's done just got to get it set up in the house!) - we should see this completed by 2020.

Making plans to expand! :naughtydance:

Seeing how long it took me to put a brood stock tank together (no it's not done - well it's done just got to get it set up in the house!) - we should see this completed by 2020.

Lol, hopefully you can get it done before then! :)

Lol, hopefully you can get it done before then! :)

I hope man... I'm going to go inch by inch and do most of the build myself. But this one is going to be a pretty big project that involve walls, electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning. It a step in the direction I ultimately want to go in but I'm sticking my rule of no going into debt to do it.

I hope man... I'm going to go inch by inch and do most of the build myself. But this one is going to be a pretty big project that involve walls, electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning. It a step in the direction I ultimately want to go in but I'm sticking my rule of no going into debt to do it.

Sounds like an awesome build. That is also an awesome rule to go by.

Alpha Aquaculture

Very cool! Can't wait to see what you plan! Could we get a sneak preview of some specs?

Could we get a sneak preview of some specs?

No... you get nothing! :P

Like I said this will be a intermediate step for a grow out system and step towards something like you have going on Alpha which would be a separate building / out side my house grow out.

I will breaking my system into two parts - Brood Stock and Hatch Tanks in the house - and the new expansion grow out system which will be moved to a workshop on my property. I'm shooting for roughly 500 gallons to start with room to double the capacity as it is needed. .

No... you get nothing! :P

Like I said this will be a intermediate step for a grow out system and step towards something like you have going on Alpha which would be a separate building / out side my house grow out.

I will breaking my system into two parts - Brood Stock and Hatch Tanks in the house - and the new expansion grow out system which will be moved to a workshop on my property. I'm shooting for roughly 500 gallons to start with room to double the capacity as it is needed. .

good luck on your new build... ive also had to make more room, especially this year im going to push to produce alot more of my nests and have lots of babies available, not just 40-50 babies at once....very fun but i get tired of moving tanks and tanks all over the house,,,lol ... wish i could afford a new building on my property but right now things are tight!!!! but yeah good luck forsure dude!!

Edited by oceancube

I can't afford a new building on the property right now either... but I do have an existing 30 X 40 workshop so the plan is to convert a portion of it.

In other news... here is something that I thought was a little weird...

My Snows had been spawning on a 9 day cycle.. every 9 days they spawned and 7 days later the eggs hatched then 2 after they spawned again. Well some time ago the pair starting eating the eggs around day 5 or 6 so I got in the habit of pulling the pot on day 4. It's been working out great but get this...

They spawned on new years eve and I pulled the eggs a couple of days ago for a hatch tonight... to my surprise they spawned again today. The old eggs haven't even hatched yet (tonight) and I already have a new nest. I've never had two sets of eggs from the same pair going at the same time.