Cultivated Reef

Driftys' JbJ Pico!

driftsaru

great, my small green stylo frag is bleeching . . .ugh.. and my last two rics are showing signs of melting.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not cool, what are ALL of your parameters? including calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and other stuff like copper if you test for it?

not cool, what are ALL of your parameters? including calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and other stuff like copper if you test for it?

going to check asap, i have a hunch it could be a PH problem.....

yeah thats another important thing. make sure that your pH does not fluctuate throughout the week, AND most importantly, throughout the day.

I will give a quick and very rough run-down of how photosynthesis effects pH. During the day, when your tank lights are on your corals are photosynthesizing and in turn are raising your pH by just a little. when the lights in the tank go out the pH will drop unless you're running a fuge with chaeto on a reverse photo-period. then the chaeto starts to photosynthesize under its own fuge light and will keep the pH rather stable throughout the day ;)

yup everything is in check besides my PH :angry: iam going to re-mod my AC into a fuge again. seeing how I still use my stock light for the display, any ideas for a fuge light? nothing too bright, if anything id like a submersible light so it doesnt bother my gf and I when we go to bed

is your pH fluctuating throughout the day? how bad is it? much lower at night I suppose? :(

ok i dont know what to think anymore, my PH is currently 8.2 . my lights have been off since 8pm :unsure:

nothing seems wrong to me...keep checking throughout the next few days. ditto to salinity (though that should not be a problem with an ATO)

Have you had any alkalinity swings lately? If all your parameters...alk, calcium, salinity...are in check you need not worry about pH. I had a 120 gal sps reef for over 5 years and my pH never went above 8.0 It is usually changes in alk or salinity that cause things to bleach.

Have you had any alkalinity swings lately? If all your parameters...alk, calcium, salinity...are in check you need not worry about pH. I had a 120 gal sps reef for over 5 years and my pH never went above 8.0 It is usually changes in alk or salinity that cause things to bleach.

great, i dont have a alk test kit. . . my salinity has never changed from 1.025 +/- 1.... my Top off keeps it in check.

9 dKH is good but the important thing with alkalinity is consistency! Weekly water changes with the same salt brand should do the trick but it is good to check periodically during the week to make sure depending on how much alk your tank uses.

so i moved everything that was showing signs of melting into my main display. i also threw a ball-o-chaeto in my pico, it just looks janky now -_-

so i moved everything that was showing signs of melting into my main display. i also threw a ball-o-chaeto in my pico, it just looks janky now -_-

If you feel like you tried everything, try the leave alone method. Leave the tank alone for a couple of weeks. Might be as simple as extra soap on your hands, cologne, lotion etc as humans we are exposed to so many chemicals every day. Watch your temps see if they are fluctuating alot.

nice tank.. wheres the updated FTS?

this tank is falling apart. i moved most of my corals to my main display

this tank is falling apart. i moved most of my corals to my main display

Sorry man :( Im puzzled with mine too, it seems as soon as I made that last post. Mine start not doing so great either, hydroids everywhere, zoa's not opening up, mushroom seems to hate every spot and my coraline is bleaching for no known reason... Things are growing but not like they should...maybe this is part of the cycle its got to fail to get stronger, im not sure. I am probaly going to end up breaking mine down because i have to move across country in 60 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow i just tricked my angler into eating a Formula One marine pellet. i think im on to something here. . . that is all :)

• 2 months later...

Archived