Coral Vue Hydros

1/4 Gallon Open Top SPS Cube

thesmallerthebetter

Cwazy Clown

If you could post a circuit diagram of your thermostat that would be awesome! i think i sent you a pm, but its not showing up on my sent items... i havent been on this forum in a while.. hahaa

thesmallerthebetter
If you could post a circuit diagram of your thermostat that would be awesome! i think i sent you a pm, but its not showing up on my sent items... i havent been on this forum in a while.. hahaa

hey man,

i got your pm, but i got it the second i was rushing out the door to an eye appointment.

as far as DIYing a thermostat, idk how haha. what i do know is how to take the stupid case off of a hydroset and hide it in my project box :P

that being said, any 120V thermostat for a titanium heater (theres loads to be had on ebay) should work great for the heat tape :) just plug and play really.

ps: i scored a little something for the tank today after my eye appointment :) pics up once i get around to finding my camera

Edited by thesmallerthebetter
thesmallerthebetter

sorry guys, new pics up ASAP.

but!!!!!

tonight was a huge night for reefing at my place :)

a club member brought over a bunch of HOTTTT frags from his prop tank for me!!!!

ones ive been wanting.

GARF Purple Bonsai

ORA Red Planet

Tyree Setosa

Marijane Paly

:) so. im super excited and i wanna shareeeeeeee

so new pics ASAP!

two: my pump isnt controlled by a fancy wave driver, tho, i would love to partner up with someone with the knowledge to help with that. im just a hardware guy, not really an electrician or programmer (tho quite a bit of electronics fabrication went into this tank haha).

Ha!

I am the opposite, I know very little about working with metal, wood, acrylic and such,

I'm trying(I'd like to get better) but am still bad at it.

For electronics I know enough to do what your wanting if it can take in PWM,

I can learn what I don't know.

I'm a 17 year old student that loves these projects,

right now it's DIY LED drivers, etching my own PCBs,

arduino, LCD, maybe a touchscreen over the LCD ...

Basically a "Super 9 Cree Led Light"

I am not very electronics knowledgeable(compared to a EE) but I know how to mess with arduino,

I could figure out how to PWM control the motor if the motor likes to be controlled with PWM.

I was even working on code to ramp it up and down a few months ago,

it was getting sorta complex but with enough work it could theoretically be controlled

like a err "ortech".

The code was on the assumption we could PWM the Koralias,

never worked out....

It had low points, how fast to ramp up the PWM from 0(0% duty cycle) to 255(100% duty cycle)

and such....

Basically everything you'd ever need,

but it needed some cleanup that I could do, I'd rather rewrite it and finish for fun.

I've got some time to do this,

I'm in college but it's just testing out of stuff and other than the current LED light I've got no other projects that I'm planning on doing.

Edited by jm82792
Ha!

I am the opposite, I know very little about working with metal, wood, acrylic and such,

I am not very electronics knowledgeable(compared to a EE) but I know how to mess with arduino,

I could figure out how to PWM control the motor if the motor likes to be controlled with PWM.

it was getting sorta complex but with enough work it could theoretically be controlled

like a err "ortech".

never worked out....

It had low points, how fast to ramp up the PWM from 0(0% duty cycle) to 255(100% duty cycle)

and such....

but it needed some cleanup that I could do, I'd rather rewrite it and finish for fun.

I'm in college but it's just testing out of stuff and other than the current LED light I've got no other projects that I'm planning on doing.

17 and in college? Wtf?

I've been taking this.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

Prep and take.

I've earned like 40 credits already for under $2k.

UH Hilo takes like 30,

so I'm hoping to go to an online college to turn the credit into an AA.

I'm thinking Excelsior because it's a very good online college and they are well reconized,

but I'm still not sure.

Some places take as much credit as you can give of CLEPs,

others take like 25-30...

Edited by jm82792
thesmallerthebetter
Ha!

like a err "ortech".

never worked out....

and such....

hey man,

pm sent :)

id love to have you on board with this :)

hey great job getting your college started early that is really nice dedication I did not have at 17 lol I was a nintendo 1 addict, mike tysons punchout more specifically

ha! you ran across one of my online arguments strewn across the web I didn't see you wrote that until just now. I never mind who stops in to post brother but those battles rarely pan out positive so if you have the brain cells to spare (that you won't get back lol) you may type anytime anywhere a nano reef friend is always welcome. I have seen that no matter what is typed, the position of the original attacker is rarely swayed, all I can get em to do is type more than they do, much faster, and get them to quit posting. we hardly ever end up agreeing lol that's why I said everyone pays for it in loss of brain activity lol

it wasn't thescienceforum.com was it

B

thesmallerthebetter
hey great job getting your college started early that is really nice dedication I did not have at 17 lol I was a nintendo 1 addict, mike tysons punchout more specifically

ha! you ran across one of my online arguments strewn across the web I didn't see you wrote that until just now. I never mind who stops in to post brother but those battles rarely pan out positive so if you have the brain cells to spare (that you won't get back lol) you may type anytime anywhere a nano reef friend is always welcome. I have seen that no matter what is typed, the position of the original attacker is rarely swayed, all I can get em to do is type more than they do, much faster, and get them to quit posting. we hardly ever end up agreeing lol that's why I said everyone pays for it in loss of brain activity lol

it wasn't thescienceforum.com was it

B

it was indeed thescienceforum.com haha :P

sorry everyone, i have been killing myself at work the last few days, quite litterally.

also, ive had like a dozen or so request for schematics on the pump, details, all that jazz in the last few days as well. heres my reply to all of you at once.....

WAIT IT OUT. you will not be disappointed. as soon as i get a few days off in a row imma get to work on something you allllllllll will appreciate.

as for pics....im sorry to let you guys down man. the freaking camera has fallen into the black hole of my workshop and hasnt decided its a good idea to resurface yet.

but as far as updated, most of the new additions were crap. the ORA Red Planet, bleached out, the setosa RTNed, as did the bonsai. the Marijane is happy tho. the red planet is holding on, and seem to be re coloring up, an to my surprise the setosa seems to be regrowing over its skeleton. the garf is a gonner.

but yea, ill get pics up. everyong else is still happy as a clam, the green granulosa is getting greener and greener too :)

again, sorry for the long absence, and i hate to say it but i might be away again for another week or so comming up here. like i said, work sucks the big one latley.

thesmallerthebetter

late night catastrophe!!!!

so i get home from work 30 minutes ago to find the tank silent.....

the pump has fell off the glass, the ato is empty, and the whole thing smells like molten electronics (anyone whos ever tinkered around enough to find out what "doesnt work" knows the smell). so i quickly unplug everything, do a total break down, tank off base, open up base....and out pours this putrid white liquid....needless to say im petrified....

well after about 5 minutes of solid profanities i start to get to work figureing out what happened.....

turns out a few days ago when i replaced my ato clip (i use these little wire clips from TV production to hold the tube to the glass, and they wear out every few months or so, and this was an old one from the old tank) i used a larger, more robust clip. welllllll that clip seems to make a little steady flow of ATO water down the side of the tank, and into the base.....

so the heater shorted and melted. the heat from that shut down the esc to the "pump" and the thermostat blew as well....

so i got to work cleaning everything up......

luckily i had a spare reostat and some more heat tape to set up as a back up heater, and everything else seems okay.. so i havta wait a few days for the new thermostat to get here so i can put it back together, and get everything back to normal.....and this time imma silicone the box shut haha.

soooo....

everything is okay now....i think.....minus the sticky notes everywhere saying not to touch my shotty wire nut ridden heater contraption hahahaha

Edited by thesmallerthebetter
thesmallerthebetter

everything seems okay this morning, tank has stayed about 81 with the new jerry rigged heater, but i just turned the reostat down a tad shooting for that magic 78.

the new thermostat should be here by wednesday.....

everything seems okay this morning, tank has stayed about 81 with the new jerry rigged heater, but i just turned the reostat down a tad shooting for that magic 78.

the new thermostat should be here by wednesday.....

Nothing dead? Thats good :)

thesmallerthebetter

naw. nothing dead :)

the red planet seems kinda pissy....as does the marijane. but other than that everyone is a-ok