Innovative Marine Aquariums

I WINNNN!

Rockfish

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't freak out yet. Goodluck and I can't wait to see it when you get it. It should be a great addition to an already gorgeous reef

:blush:

thanks!! still a big work in progress though

told you not to worry :P

well thank you for the kind works!! I'm a bit of a worry wart!! especially when it comes to clams!! LOL :D

GOT HIM THIS MORNING!! And let me just say that right off the bat looking at the scutes on the sides of the shell and the overall shape of the foot and shell it's like NO other clam i've EVER seen!

pics in a few!! omgomgomg omgomgomg

ok first pic!! seems a bit dark right now but like I said.....very weird shape and coloration all around.....will take some side on pics when i put it in the tank!!

here he is!!

IMG_0075.jpg

more pics!! still very dark but when the mantle colors up I think it's gonna be one hell of a clam.....and the difference in the shell, foot, and mantle is VERY pronounced.....def not a maxima or a crocea at all!! I am believing the hype about hybrid clam thing!!

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

you can see to the right my sea cucumber is very interested in it!!

I'm glad to hear it arrived in good shape! I have had that hybrid clam since september........I was kinda getting attached to it LOL

I had it under lower light so I think if you slowly bring the lighting up it will lighten and that green will be amazing! Now, I have to go get more so I can have one to look at everyday ;)

Thanks again

Chris

I'm glad to hear it arrived in good shape! I have had that hybrid clam since september........I was kinda getting attached to it LOL

I had it under lower light so I think if you slowly bring the lighting up it will lighten and that green will be amazing! Now, I have to go get more so I can have one to look at everyday ;)

Thanks again

Chris

AMAZING clam Chris!! I did mind a few pyramids on it before i put it in ur tank just give you the heads up but other than that it's beautiful

I have him under 250 watts of MH with a 14K Phoenix bulb so he should color up quite nicely!!

thanks again for all the help!!

I LIKEEYY!!!

too bad its impossible to make a viable fragment of a clam, i would be all over it. sure you dont just want to send it to me?!?

looking good :)

Man I looked him over really well and didn't see any snails......they must have been hiding somewhere! thanks for the heads up.

yea they weren't too big but after just having a problem with them I can smell them on a clam!! just stuck a 6-line in there too and he's doing a great job at night!!

As a recent Clam fan and owner that is fantastic. Worth ever penny.

It would be interesting to do some work on looking at the genetics of it to establish it's origins.

As a recent Clam fan and owner that is fantastic. Worth ever penny.

It would be interesting to do some work on looking at the genetics of it to establish it's origins.

already wayyy ahead if you!! The problem is there isn't much info anywhere on these guys so i'm trying to go directly to the source and contacted the supplier in the south Pacific

When and if they e-mail me back i'll post it up here so you can hear it from the horse's mouth!!

so this is from Brett @ Pacificislandimports.com who is the soul importer of these clams (so far)

ROB, THIS IS BRETT HERE AT PACIFIC ISLAND IMPORTS. I'M GLAD YOU LIKE THE CLAM. FROM WHAT THE BREEDER HAS TOLD ME WHEN THEY SPAWNED THE MAXIMAS IN VANUATU THEY HAD SEVERAL LARGE CROCEA IN THE TANKS. AS YOU KNOW IT IS A CHAIN REACTION WITH THE CLAMS WHEN THEY SPAWN, YOU ONLY NEED TO GET ONE TO START SPAWNING AND THEY WILL ALL SPAWN. EVEN DIFFERENT CLAMS (MAXIMA/CROCEA/DERASA/SQUAMOSA ETC) WHEN IN THE SAME SYSTEM WILL START TO SPAWN. THE BREEDER SAID THEY WERE LAZY AND DID NOT REMOVE THE CROCEA FROM THE TANKS AND SO WHEN THE MAXIMA WERE SPAWNED THE CROCEA DID AS WELL. SOMEWHERE IN THE MILLIONS OF SPERM AND EGGS RELEASED SOME CROSSING TOOK PLACE. OUT OF ABOUT 200,000 SMALL MAXIMA SUCCESSFULLY HATCHED, ONLY A FEW HUNDRED ARE HYBRID. THE FISH AND WILDLIFE HERE COULD NOT IDENTIFY THEM, AND FROM THE THOUSANDS OF CLAMS I HAVE SOLD HERE, THESE ARE DEFINITELY DIFFERENT. I WILL FIND SOME ODD PICS OF THEM AND EMAIL THEM TO YOU. I CURRENTLY HAVE ABOUT 6 OR 7 IN STOCK RIGHT NOW, MOSTLY GOLD AND GREEN. THE ODD THENG ABOUT THESE CLAMS IS THAT THEY SEEN TO GROW FASTER THAN THE OTHERS, WHICH IS ODD BECAUSE THE CROCEA IS THE SLOWEST GROWING TRIDACNA OUT THERE. ANYWAYS I HOPE THIS SHEDS SOME MORE LIGHT ON THE MATTER, AND WHEN I FIND THOSE PICS I WILL EMAIL YOU, THANKS, BRETT

Archived