SaltCritters.com

I WINNNN!

Rockfish

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice clam, price seems low in my opinion. Good find :)

i've been reading alot (or any info i could find on these guys) and many are under the impression that a T. Maxea clam is fake. there argument is that IF it was possible to cross breed T. Maxima and T. Crocea it would have happened already in the wild. I kind of agree with that. But what I don't understand is why importers would all of a sudden make up a bull#### story about a new clam species?? maybe to drive up the market value and make a few extra sheckles on a clam that's not your "typical" blue or gold patterned maxima??

any thoughts?? I found this quite interesting

animalmaster6
i've been reading alot (or any info i could find on these guys) and many are under the impression that a T. Maxea clam is fake. there argument is that IF it was possible to cross breed T. Maxima and T. Crocea it would have happened already in the wild. I kind of agree with that. But what I don't understand is why importers would all of a sudden make up a bull#### story about a new clam species?? maybe to drive up the market value and make a few extra sheckles on a clam that's not your "typical" blue or gold patterned maxima??

any thoughts?? I found this quite interesting

Extremely interesting!

talked to the owner of reefkoi where i got the clam from and he sent me an e-mail and this is what he had to say

I've talked to my supplier about that, he says for one thing they do not require cites permits for export to the US because they are a hybrid. He also told me the farm that produces them spawns a maxima and crocea togther in one tank and they get these only out of that tank.

I can now spot one instantly out of 200 clams........once you see them its very easy to spot them.

This one is developing a nice green tint to it, I've had it for a couple months and I think under the right lighting it will really develope into a cool clam.

If you flip it over and look at the byssal opening its wider than a typical maxima like a crocea is too.

Great score, it's a bewt. I have ordered twice now from Reefkoi and was really happy both times. Not every coral vendor is willing to ship to AK, and he did np.. Gratzz again on the sweet clam!

he will be here tomorrow before 10:30 AM so as soon as i acclimate and put him on a shell to get comfy i'll snap some pics or a quick video!!

From what I have read, and what I have been told, it is theoretically possible to cross T. crocea and T. maxima. I have seen only 3 clams in the last 6 years that fit the physical description of a T. "maxea" and They do look quite different than your typical maxima/crocea taking characteristics from both parents.

Now, it has been questioned if the strain was lab created, or if the two clams can actually be crossed naturally. The first time I heard of the maxea, I was told from a supplier that it was harvested from the wild, and that it was a "remarkable find". Whether or not that is true, it would be much easier to cross in a controlled system, so I would think that any maxeas that you see today are most likely captive bread, unless of course that has been proven to be "impossible".

Either way,

Without doing some sort of DNA test for genetics, there is no way to prove that it isn't just some rediculously deformed maxima or crocea.

Regadless of the clams heritage, it is gorgeous and has some serious coloration. I can't see any bland mantle color in that pic - it looks like a really nice grade gold/green clam to me!

he will be here tomorrow before 10:30 AM so as soon as i acclimate and put him on a shell to get comfy i'll snap some pics or a quick video!!

Beautiful Specie,

Now when you say put him on a shell, what do you mean? Do you use a shell for the clam to attach its bysall threads to? Ive never had luck putting clams in my rockwork and if this is how you do it, I may look into clams again (i dont think my sand bed gets enough light).

Beautiful Specie,

Now when you say put him on a shell, what do you mean? Do you use a shell for the clam to attach its bysall threads to? Ive never had luck putting clams in my rockwork and if this is how you do it, I may look into clams again (i dont think my sand bed gets enough light).

yea clams don't belong on the sand bed anyway......i usually take a very flat shell or a piece of rock and sit him on the sand bed on top of it....this way he can get comfortable and attach himself to something. The, when he attaches you can place him anywhere on the rock work you want

Makes sense. Idk if you can answer this but normally how long does it usually tank for a clam to set?

could be from a few hours to a few days.....my crocea took almost a week

on a side note.....he didn't ship my clam today and isn't answering the phone or my email!!

:unsure:

could be from a few hours to a few days.....my crocea took almost a week

on a side note.....he didn't ship my clam today and isn't answering the phone or my email!!

:unsure:

####... Maybe you don't winnnn!!! -_-

:angry: Sorry bro! fingerscrossed Hope you don't get screwed on this!!!

B)

have no idea what happened.....he wrote me an email asking me when i wanted it shipped and I specifically said today...

no notification, no tracking info, no return email, no answer on the business phone.....nothing!!

do i start to worry now?

Today is a holiday so maybe he wasn't able to ship. And maybe that's why he hasn't answered his phone. Reefkoi.com looks like a reputable place so I would expect him to get back to you tomorrow

Today is a holiday so maybe he wasn't able to ship. And maybe that's why he hasn't answered his phone. Reefkoi.com looks like a reputable place so I would expect him to get back to you tomorrow

very true....although i saw both fedex and UPS working my neighborhood today

makes me quite uneasy

Archived