Cultivated Reef

Pico Contest

hlander

bluefunelement

I'll have at least 2 of these setup contest time - which should I enter or can I enter both?

Home Desk Pico 3/4G

pico34th.jpg

Work Glass Pico 1.25G

glasspico.jpg

Mystery Work Pico 1G

:ninja:

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
its gonna be kinda tough i think cause most dead rock is used for large systems that if buying LR would cost a fortune so most of the dead rock is rather large

Why would people even want dead rock for their large systems?

Cheaper than LR. Get half LR and half dead rock and you can save money.

animalmaster6
I'll have at least 2 of these setup contest time - which should I enter or can I enter both?

Home Desk Pico 3/4G

pico34th.jpg

Work Glass Pico 1.25G

glasspico.jpg

Mystery Work Pico 1G

:ninja:

I don't see why you can't enter both. It would be lots of work though.

It looks like they have water in it. Do they have water? if they do you can't enter it.

Cheaper than LR. Get half LR and half dead rock and you can save money.

I wouldn't do that...

bluefunelement

Dry rock makes great base rock - I setup both my 24 and 29 with 60+% dead rock and now it's 50% coralline covered after 6months.

This was liverock from my reef tanks 10years ago and only cost my 2.50/lb then so I am proud to recycle it.

Let me know if I can - one's at work and one's at home so no extra work -

water is fresh in both - waiting for filters and lights.

I don't see why you can't enter both. It would be lots of work though.

It looks like they have water in it. Do they have water? if they do you can't enter it.

I'm in. :)

I'm going to college next year, so my goal is to design a tank that can be shipped without taking anything out of it. That means everything will need to be cemented down, and it will need to be completely water-tight. We'll see how it goes. B)

I wouldn't do that...

just think, when you setup your 125g tank im guessing you are gonna go with about 1.5lbs/g like alot of people like to run. now this will be almost 200lbs of live rock(187.5 to be exact), now if we give an average of lets say $5/lb of live rock. that will bring you to almost a grand for just rock alone($937.50 to be exact), now lets say dead rock is $2.50/lb, for half the rock(93.75lbs) it will cost you $234.38 for the dead rock and $468.75 for the live rock, this equals $703.13 for rock saving you over $200

animalmaster6

I'm going to college next year, so my goal is to design a tank that can be shipped without taking anything out of it. That means everything will need to be cemented down, and it will need to be completely water-tight. We'll see how it goes. B)

Yay! Jamie has joined the party! :happydance:

just think, when you setup your 125g tank im guessing you are gonna go with about 1.5lbs/g like alot of people like to run. now this will be almost 200lbs of live rock(187.5 to be exact), now if we give an average of lets say $5/lb of live rock. that will bring you to almost a grand for just rock alone($937.50 to be exact), now lets say dead rock is $2.50/lb, for half the rock(93.75lbs) it will cost you $234.38 for the dead rock and $468.75 for the live rock, this equals $703.13 for rock saving you over $200

lol too expensive...

Dry rock makes great base rock - I setup both my 24 and 29 with 60+% dead rock and now it's 50% coralline covered after 6months.

This was liverock from my reef tanks 10years ago and only cost my 2.50/lb then so I am proud to recycle it.

Let me know if I can - one's at work and one's at home so no extra work -

water is fresh in both - waiting for filters and lights.

Awesome if it is just freshwater you can definetly join! Just don't add saltwater until the 25th.

You can start adding equipment but remember! You only have $350 for lighting.

bluefunelement

someone was planning to use this ikea pico

2008_04_28-Ikea-SKOM.jpg

bluefunelement
You can start adding equipment but remember! You only have $350 for lighting.

yay - I can enter both?

as for lighting - free

tanks - free

rock - free

corals - free

can we have a Scrounge and Found category as well :D

animalmaster6
yay - I can enter both?

as for lighting - free

tanks - free

rock - free

corals - free

can we have a Scrounge and Found category as well :D

?

Lighting and corals isn't free at all!

If you have made a thread for your tank, please post a link so i can add it to the list. The only reason i am waiting until the 25th is so that everyone that wants to enter has a chance to. Also some people have left town for the holidays. I cannot wait for this contest to start so i can crush you all :P

animalmaster6
I dont see why you cant enter both. If you have made a thread for your tank, please post a link so i can add it to the list. The only reason i am waiting until the 25th is so that everyone that wants to enter has a chance to. Also some people have left town for the holidays. I cannot wait for this contest to start so i can crush you all :P

:o

12412695_400x400.jpg

I dont see why you cant enter both. If you have made a thread for your tank, please post a link so i can add it to the list. The only reason i am waiting until the 25th is so that everyone that wants to enter has a chance to. Also some people have left town for the holidays. I cannot wait for this contest to start so i can crush you all :P

as long as both tanks together dont add up to over 5 gallons and he can stay within the spending limits for both tanks combined because if he had to separate spending limits for both tanks he would have an unfair advantage. i still think its unfair he can setup two because he has twice the chance of winning.

animalmaster6
as long as both tanks together dont add up to over 5 gallons and he can stay within the spending limits for both tanks combined because if he had to separate spending limits for both tanks he would have an unfair advantage. i still think its unfair he can setup two because he has twice the chance of winning.

You make a good point!

why not 2 i think its fine

if he stays in the spending limit and doesnt go over 5gals

because the voters might not like one tank of his but they may like the other and vote on that one. where as we only have one tank for the voters to like or dislike.

because the voters might not like one tank of his but they may like the other and vote on that one. where as we only have one tank for the voters to like or dislike.

exactly

If you have made a thread for your tank, please post a link so i can add it to the list.

make a vote poll on just his 2 tanks

then after one is selected than the one that wins the vote can be put in with all the other contest tanks for the final vote

animalmaster6
make a vote poll on just his 2 tanks

then after one is selected than the one that wins the vote can be put in with all the other contest tanks for the final vote

That's an awesome idea!

Archived