Cultivated Reef

squirrel's 16 bow

squirrelieygrrrl

Zoa nudis are a real pain, but can be managed pretty easily if you use a tweezers to pull them off your zoas. Kind of a pain, but keeps them managed. The only way to rid your tank of them involves finding the egg sacs which are quite difficult to find so getting rid of them entirely will be extremely hard. Monti nudi's I have never had, but best of luck.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:( That stinks... I found one in my tank a couple months ago. Fortunetly, I mostly had frags that were removeable and my one large colony wasn't attached to the rest of my rock work.

A freshwater dip will get the adults, but not the eggs. I set-up a quarantine tank and decided to dip them once a week for 3-4 weeks before putting my zoas back into my display.

CoralRX is suppose to kill them too, and may be gentler on your zoas than a freshwater dip. If you decide to dip them in freshwater, try to match the temp and pH of your tank. 5 minutes is probably sufficient.

What a bummer, especially sine you have such mature colonies. I don't know how you would get rid of them with out dipping all you colonies...

I guess you could try getting a baby yellow corris wrasse temporary. They might eat them, but may not be a permenant solution if they don't eat them all.

Edit: yikes I didn't notice that you had monti nudis too... the above will work for zoa nudis, and I think coral RX claims to work on monti nudis too. let us know how it goes...

squirrelieygrrrl

chit!

figgers. i get the chemistry thing under control and now another problem has reared its ugly little head.

definitely not an easy fix as most of my corals are fully affixed to the rockwork. that would mean dismantling the better part of the tank to try and dip the affected colonies. yargh.......

well off to try and figure out a feasible solution. aside from manual removal which im pretty sure would take eons considering the size of my zoa garden.

the montis that are affected thankfully are not attached to the rocks so dipping is an option there. i did find an alleged dip recipe/regimen that supposedly works on the monti eating aeolid nudies from chucks addiction.

guess thats what i get for not QTing my new additions before adding them to my tank. that'll teach me!

the wrasse is a no go,

the shrimp would kill it faster than the corirs would kill the pests.

I could be wrong about the zoa nudi, but I just think the monti ones are so tiny that you wouldn't be able see them that well. Inspect your zoas when they're closed and look for eggs. They are white and layed in clusters that sometimes look like a spiral. If you don't find any.. you could always take the wait and see approach.

squirrelieygrrrl

ok,

so after some research and deep meditation, ive come up with this:

i dont think dipping is the right fix here. simply because i just pulled out of a chemistry issue, and that too many of the colonies are so large and grown together with the rock work. if i tear it all apart to dip everything its gonna throw the whole tank outta whack again, and i just cant afford to take the risk of adding yet another stressful situation to my acros.

manual removal while not out for the count entirely, as i said before would take the term arduous to its limits. :lol:

id rather let another critter do the work for me, but because of the angry shrimp to contend with it makes that difficult too. luckily after minimal searching i found that some people have been successful with both fiji damsels and talbots damsels. now heres the questions....

do you all think the damsel would be quick enough to get outta dodge if the shrimp got feisty?

how much time do they spend back in the rockwork?

would he get into it with Lunch the Maroon or vice versa? i know they are closely related. Lunch is pretty mild mannered as far as maroons go, any fish he has ever been in with he really didnt pester. infact my hand is the only thing he ever attacks. lulz.

is that a feasible fix?

squirrelieygrrrl

its a non commensal pistol shrimp. hes killed at least 6 or 7 fish as it is, a 6 line, and a pygmy angel. to name a couple. so i think a corris would be no problem for him. plus thats a spendy treat for the shrimp.

Wow. Your tank is PRETTY DURN AWESOME.

I've also been contemplating buying a purple plate from one of our LFS! Yours makes me REALLY want it!

its a non commensal pistol shrimp. hes killed at least 6 or 7 fish as it is, a 6 line, and a pygmy angel. to name a couple. so i think a corris would be no problem for him. plus thats a spendy treat for the shrimp.

I hope all pistol shrimp aren't like that! I was planning a goby/pistol pair for my new NC!

squirrelieygrrrl
Wow. Your tank is PRETTY DURN AWESOME.

I've also been contemplating buying a purple plate from one of our LFS! Yours makes me REALLY want it!

hey sara!

thanks so much for checking it out. :wub: are you talking about the purple monti cap frag near the zoas? or that big honkin purple and teal acanthophyllia down in the left bottom corner? cuz i dont have a plate coral in there, lulz. if its the acanthophyllia i absolutely love that thing. it is so bizarre! its constantly changing how inflated it is.

I hope all pistol shrimp aren't like that! I was planning a goby/pistol pair for my new NC!

no not at all. the key to my shrimp being a cuc/fish serial killer is that he is 'non-commensal', meaning that he dosnt pair up with anything. kind of a rarity as far as most pistols go. they require some sort of other organism to provide its defense. this guy relies on shear aggression and size. its much larger than your average pistol too, with a more developed pistol claw.

the tiger pistols you see paired with gobies are much smaller and quite blind so they need the fish to be their early warning system. so they can skedaddle back to the den/cave if there is danger.

squirrelieygrrrl

durr...

sorry sara! lmao. i just realized that there was a plate in there for a while. it was so big i took it back to the lfs. that thing was so pretty, it was called a blue jeans plate. i would have loved to have kept it but it looked so much smaller at the lfs!

youll have to excuse me, im a tad sick, and my brain is drug addled after all the cold medicine. :facepalm:

durr...

sorry sara! lmao. i just realized that there was a plate in there for a while. it was so big i took it back to the lfs. that thing was so pretty, it was called a blue jeans plate. i would have loved to have kept it but it looked so much smaller at the lfs!

youll have to excuse me, im a tad sick, and my brain is drug addled after all the cold medicine. :facepalm:

Haha, it's all good! It's Friday, my brain is totally fried too!

Yeah, one of my friends just told me the same thing, that I should wait until I put up the 29 :-( Waaant!

squirrelieygrrrl

lulz!

absolutely wait till you have a larger sandbed. mine liked to wander around a bit too and it was always wandering in to things it didnt agree with. they sure are neat though.

squirrelieygrrrl

semi update!

finally got my order from the good Dr.s, installed the new ushio 20k. wow! the difference is substantial. guess i need to change that sucker out more regularly. also finally changed the carbon and chemi pure. it had been a month plus since those were swapped. so hopefully that helps a bit.

i snapped a few shots, though these were taken before my package came. ill try and snap a few later to show the difference in light and water clarity.

DSC03946.jpg

i just love shooting mushies, theres something about the color/texture i just like.

DSC03938.jpg

looks like the monti is finally coloring back up, its been about 3 months since the semi crash.

DSC03920.jpg

and a different view of the zoa garden.

gawd! i cant wait to get my cadlight, im so over curved glass and having every shot i take be a challenge.

no real news on the nudie problem, so far i havent seen any more evidence of them on the zoas. i definitely still have them on my montis though. gonna have to get that under control before they completely kill my pink digi.

Beautiful new pics!!!!! I agree with Rain....those mushrooms are so pretty. They are definitely on my stocking list. I actually started my new tank with those in mind as being a dominant feature of my tank. Can't wait to see more of your pics!

squirrelieygrrrl
Squirrel, you get such great light in your photos! Love this last set. I heart your red mushrooms a LOT! :wub:

thank you Rain,

here i was thinking this set turned out a little dark! :lol:

Beautiful new pics!!!!! I agree with Rain....those mushrooms are so pretty. They are definitely on my stocking list. I actually started my new tank with those in mind as being a dominant feature of my tank. Can't wait to see more of your pics!

fanks gena,

gotta love a nice shroom. :P i fell in love with 'em looking at some one elses tank a long time ago. cant remember who tho.

only thing about those shrooms is there really aggressive, you can bet if they touch something else they are gonna give it a nice burn. possibly kill it completely. thats why i have them all corralled in where they are. so they dont kill/damage anything else.

No, I don't think the pics were too dark at all. In fact, I love the darker background with pops of color. It makes for a more moody photo. :happy: After seeing your pics and all the other great ones out there, I'm really trying to get a handle on my camera. I just can't seem to get close enough. I'll have to play around with the other lens. That might be able to handle more macro shots a bit better.

I wanted to ask you about your Acanthophyllia deshayesiana. How large is it now? And how long after cycling do you think I have to wait before I could get something similar in my tank? I'm thinking more Scolymia though just cause some of them are a tad cheaper. I don't want to kill something that's $$$ right off the bat. :P

Also, I had no idea that mushrooms were aggressive! I thought those were safe to pack in with other corals. Oh, speaking of packing them in - the meat coral and button coral are listed as semi-aggressive on Live Aquaria. Any ideas on how far they have to be from neighboring corals?

Thanks! :)

squirrelieygrrrl

no, thank you!

really its just that i cant stand washed out corals. something about that bugs me to no end. i swear we photograph one of the toughest subjects ever! im still trying to get it dialed down. i know that feeling of not being able to get close enough, i bludgeon my way through macro shots with my 70mm.

the acanthophyllia is roughly the size of a small orange... er approx 4-5'' in diameter. i absolutely love mine. its one of my more hardy corals, id say as long as your params are with in normal ranges and have been holding steady for a month, your totally safe to toss one in your bc. occasionally you find them mis-labled at the lfs as cynaria, so you get them for less. thats how i got mine.

ikr?! i dont remember my other mushies being so aggressive in my 10 gal. theres some thing about these red ones that are particularly rough on other corals. ive nuked my fair share of frags on the sand bed with those guys. after a handful ive learned my lesson there. honestly i dont know if the acanthophyllia is truly aggressive or not, i prize it so much i keep it away from every thing else. i dont know if i could bare to see it messed up.

and now moar picturrrrs!

DSC04032.jpg

DSC04035.jpg

DSC04034.jpg

DSC04036.jpg

DSC04046.jpg

DSC04061.jpg

DSC04067.jpg

just for you Rain!

DSC03980.jpg

yay! the coco worm is finally regrowing his crown!

DSC03982.jpg

DSC03991.jpg

those last two were for color difference as a result of the bulb switch.

Like nebthet, I love your red yuma too. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for red shrooms and red yumas. Also, thank you for the Acanthophyllia shot! :wub: How much has it grown since you got it?

When I get my Scolymia or Acanthophyllia, I'm going to be babying it too. Must keep it away from whatever my husband buys. Anything that happens to catch his eye seems to be semi-aggressive. :P And honestly, it's not even a guy thing. It's truly whatever he thinks looks neat happens to be either possessing sweepers or can multiply like crazy. :lol:

squirrelieygrrrl

muh pleasure!

no distinguishable growth in 8(ish) months. i have a feeling they are very slow growers, though i dont feed mine much. maybe with more food it would grow a bit more quickly.

i lol'ed at your comments about your husbands tastes in coral. slippery slope my dear! next thing you know you two are going to have his and hers tanks!

Archived