Top Shelf Aquatics

squirrel's 16 bow

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl
very nice reef.

I have a 16 bowfront that I want to replace my 12 gallon nanocube with.

What are you using for filtration? Are you using a skimmer?

thanks devmasa,

my system is fairly simple, i use a tom mini rapids canister hooked up to a surface skimmer, and a prizim protien skimmer. though that dam skimmer is a piece of junk. lol, its obnoxiously loud and dumps micro bubbles into the system.

i use a mix of filter floss regular carbon and chemi pure. though the ratios of what to what are always changing.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

aw schucks thanks weetie,

though you guys gotta knock it off... :blush:

:lol:

its not finished!!!!

java script:add_smilie("omgomgomg","smid_25") <-- er weird... lets try that again....

omgomgomg

• 1 month later...
squirrelieygrrrl

well folks its been about a month....

not a whole lot has changed. have had some growth, added a couple of new goodies. i put a coco worm in there though i dont know if it is going to make it. he rarely comes out, sadly. though he hasnt yet dropped his crown so thats a good thing. but its been about a week since hes been in there and he still isnt really comfortable. not sure whats wrong there.... <_<

also added a plate coral, and a rescued mandarin.

poor little girl, she is sooooo skinny. the guys at the lfs starved her. so im gonna try to bring her back. today is day two of her being in the tank, and still no feeding response. to either frozen, pellet, or live. not sure if shes stressed or if its just a lost cause. wish her luck folks she is gonna need it.

fts-4.jpg

fts2-1.jpg

lilacacans.jpg

skinnymandy.jpg

watermellonsngorillanips.jpg

bluesteelplate.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

woot! so figured out what was wrong with the coco wom, low alk. curiously though the christmas tree worms seemed unaffected. odd. poor worm looks like hammered dog doo though. hopefully it will go back to normal with regular feedings. guess thats what i get for not testing my water in ages.

acromacro.jpg

pinkmonti.jpg

cocoworm.jpg

leftside.jpg

rightside.jpg

urgh. so those shots didnt come out as well as i would have hoped. but you get the gist. i really need to invest into an actual macro lens. stupid 35m just dosnt cut the mustard.

squirrelieygrrrl

ur far too kind.

or im my own worst critic. :P

i think your photography is great despite ur poop camera. :lol:

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks so much bud,

after seeing your post i had to go check out yours too. there great tanks, neat view. damn hard to photograph though with out distortion. thats about the only thing i dont like.

squirrelieygrrrl

minor update.

lost the mandarin. :tears: she wouldnt feed no matter what, i kind of figured it was a lost cause. though i tell you all i did every thing possible to bring her back. thankfully i didnt pay too much for her. im still waiting on one of the red/blues to be released from ora. i have a male on reserve once they arrive at my lfs. lets hope he shows up in better condition than my little female. fingerscrossed

also. <_< had a coral war the other night, that damn red mushroom is soooo aggressive and tends to kill anything it touches. i love how it looks but i really wish i hadnt put it in there cuz now i have to keep a large area around it empty. i lost most of my lilac acan, all except for 1 and a half heads. on the bright side at least i didnt loose the whole thing. -_-

im also battling byropsis, still..... that stuff is the bane of my existence. grrrrrrr :rant:

in brighter news, the coco worm has made a full recovery. :happy: so i guess all hope is not lost yet.....

pics of equipment, and the salvaged acan probably tomorrow.

squirrelieygrrrl

crrichey,

im with ya for sure. they have such personality. this little boy is quickly headed towards monster status. i cant put my hand in the tank at all with out being attacked.

squirrelieygrrrl

k,

heres the equip shots. the reason its taken me so long to post these is im running the tank on the cheapest crap possible, but it gets the job done so thats all that matters to me. so far ive not had a single bit of equip failure either. guess i should count my lucky stars there. :knocksonwood:

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

equip.jpg

you can kind of see the fan i use for cooling in the background. the best 10 dollar investment ever. its just one of those cheap mini desk fans, but it has the perfect amount of oomph to keep the tank cool with out causing too much evap. id take pictures of under the cabinet, but all thats down there is powerstrips and supplies. not terribly thrilling.

i have considered adding a sumpfugium to the system, i just havent come up with a solution as to how to connect it to the tank yet... overflow? seems problematic.....AC fuge mod? maybe....

squirrelieygrrrl

surprisingly that tom canister has been an invaluable asset to the tank, i basically use it like a chemical reactor and mechanical filter. the only caveat to using one of those is you have to keep it really clean. i give it the once over at least once a week. some times more if im having water quality issues. changing the media weekly.

Very nice looking tank. It seems like you've gotten most of the kinks worked out of your photography skills from the start of your thread too.

Thanks for the advice you've been throwing my way too. Tomorrow that rock is going to get a bit of a hair cut.

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks so much pyro.

always appreciated. though if you ask me i feel my shots still have plenty of room for improvement.

its totally my pleasure bud. best of luck to ya, hope it all works its self out.

squirrelieygrrrl

thank you pismo!

favia.jpg

this one i already had. any one know what specie it is?

tablingacro.jpg

finally! a semi decentish shot of the clam. the blue is so hard to capture with my camera for some reason.

clam-1.jpg

new acro, cant seem to capture all of the colors here also. the tips go from an almost yellow into a turquoise, then into that deep purple/blue which is captured correctly. any one wanna take a stab at iding this one either?

acro2-1.jpg

there are three others that came from pismo (thanks bud) that ill have to try and get shots of in the next few days.

Your tank looks great!!!!! I like this one even better than the 10g you had. Our 10g has been taken down as well. I just have one tank now...the trusty custom 35g that I've had FOREVER. I don't have a page for it yet. It's done an amazing turn around....new growth and the coral is coloring up. I think the difference was changing my salt from D&D to Red Sea Coral Pro salt. It's the only change I've made.

I was fighting bryopsis for a while as well...it was EVERYWHERE!!!!! It died out on it's own, after a while. I also no longer have aptasia. It went away on it's own. I guess I've finally got decent water quality going on in that tank. It's great to see you back here again :)

Archived