ReefCleaners.org

Bongo Shrimp's 29g Lagoon

Bongo Shrimp

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bongo Shrimp
Nice barnacle blenny. They are a definte for the 7.5g once it's up.

Yeah I saw him in his shell at the LFS and could not leave without him. So interesting. And tiny. No idea where he went today but I'm sure he's fine. Eats mysis like a champ.

• 3 weeks later...
Cute! How about some updated pics of the rest of the tank? It has been almost a year ... =0)

Wow I didn't see this sorry. The tank is a macro'd up and is kinda boring other than all my sponge growing.

Look at this monster! I have to sell it cause it's too big and it deserves NOT to be chopped up.

b0540c5e.jpg

Yeah it's Colospongia sp. Hard to get more exact than that. Most people give it high light and flow but mine grows like a vase under really stupidly old CF lights and minimal seahorse tank flow.

• 4 months later...
Bongo Shrimp
update?

I have not been adding stuff in here lately. Just growing tons and tons of my sponge. It got up to be 15" and I cut it back and its back to 13". Plus my other pieces are all over 6" or 7".

I have a giant peppermint shrimp in there which I am starting to suspect may be a different species than the average Lysmata wurdmani. Might even be a Klukenthal's Cleaner Shrimp cause he is huge.

I'm pondering an Orange Spot Filefish Pair.

Could use a trio of T.Tevegae, IMO.

Then again, I've never heard of orange spot file fish.

According to google, they look great but they munch Acropora all most exclusively :o. How would you plan to feed them? Train them on to frozen? As with most things on your threads, I'm intrigued.

• 4 weeks later...
Bongo Shrimp
Could use a trio of T.Tevegae, IMO.

Then again, I've never heard of orange spot file fish.

According to google, they look great but they munch Acropora all most exclusively :o. How would you plan to feed them? Train them on to frozen? As with most things on your threads, I'm intrigued.

If I got them I'd get a pair from DD which they say eats frozen already. Theres no coral in this tank to eat anyways.

Can you post pictures of the tank?

I will in a bit but remember it's pretty much a fuge and there is a fair amount of not so pretty algae. But with my sponge I like it. It's truly a textbook cryptic fuge IMO.

Oh and I'm getting 4 female reidi seahorses soon! Captive bred. Very excited!

• 1 month later...

Hey Bongo, I hate to do this, but I think you could give me an awesome answer. I'm looking for a couple of fish for my biocube, but I've got a maxi mini, anything you'd recommend?

I've been watching your youtube channel for the past half hour or so, pretty awesome stuff.

Are those adorable little cuttlefish still doing well?

Bongo Shrimp
Hey Bongo, I hate to do this, but I think you could give me an awesome answer. I'm looking for a couple of fish for my biocube, but I've got a maxi mini, anything you'd recommend?

I've been watching your youtube channel for the past half hour or so, pretty awesome stuff.

Are those adorable little cuttlefish still doing well?

Don't hate to do this. The point of the forums is to ask questions and I welcome all of them.

IMO a maxi mini is not something that should limit you in terms of fish. 9/10 times if a fish is found in a maxi mini it was either sick, dying or already dead. Just don't put pipefish or seahorses with them because those would be hurt or killed. Anyways, most fish know to stay away.

Glad you are enjoying my videos thanks! I lost the cuttlefish after about 5 weeks. Not sure why since they were eating and the water was fine. It could just be related to the whole "hundreds of eggs and one or two survivors". I would have gotten more but mysis are very expensive to have to order sometimes twice a week.

Don't hate to do this. The point of the forums is to ask questions and I welcome all of them.

IMO a maxi mini is not something that should limit you in terms of fish. 9/10 times if a fish is found in a maxi mini it was either sick, dying or already dead. Just don't put pipefish or seahorses with them because those would be hurt or killed. Anyways, most fish know to stay away.

Glad you are enjoying my videos thanks! I lost the cuttlefish after about 5 weeks. Not sure why since they were eating and the water was fine. It could just be related to the whole "hundreds of eggs and one or two survivors". I would have gotten more but mysis are very expensive to have to order sometimes twice a week.

Oh my god thats awful, man I'm so sorry. Thanks for the advice, I guess I'm just paranoid, he's only tiny anyway, probably 3" around or so. Whats next for the millionaire playboy bong shrimp?

Bongo Shrimp
Whats next for the millionaire playboy bong shrimp?

That not an accurate description by a long shot!

What's next? I don't have a next. For this tank I'm just growing lots and lots of purple sponge.

• 8 months later...

I know you have posted here in ages. Just wondering if you still have the chironepthea and if so, how its doing. I picked up 2 today. I've had a lot of nps in the past, so I'm hoping I can treat it well. Can you let me know about placement? It looked really happy in the pictures you posted. thx!

Bongo Shrimp

I do not still have it. It was in really low flow and I assume it opened up as a feeding response. It most likely wants high flow and I can tell you it always opened when I fed small frozen foods like cyclops and ova. I would give that a shot.

As for this tank I have completely redone it (no new rock or anything) and its cleaned up quite a bit with some tree sponges which I believe may actually be keepable.

Archived