Pod Your Reef

Bongo Shrimp's 29g Lagoon

Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

I'm not really sure about boxer shrimp. Never had anything like them before. A friend of mine had two coral bandeds in separate tanks and he just threw them together fully ready for a fight if that was going to occur but they in fact paired up. (he didn't want them to fight, he wanted them to pair up, I just mean he knew fighting was a possible outcome)

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made my 1000th post yesterday. congradumalations.

All of the bandeds are mean.

They would do fine with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp though.

My pistol does seem like a pretty tough guy. But I'll consider other shimp, too.

Bongo Shrimp

Those tiger pistols can become killing maschines out of no where. I mean any pistol can but when they are bigger they are more destructive. I have to say I am randalli only person...

So, bangaiis are easy to breed right? Don't you all think I could raise the fry in the tank with everyone else? I've always loved the little tiny bangaiis.

Right now, just one, it's with an ugly cucumber lol but they could separate it if you really want

You could just ask to see if they could pick up any more soon

Those tiger pistols can become killing maschines out of no where. I mean any pistol can but when they are bigger they are more destructive. I have to say I am randalli only person...

So, bangaiis are easy to breed right? Don't you all think I could raise the fry in the tank with everyone else? I've always loved the little tiny bangaiis.

If my tiger gets to big I'll consider trading him in...but for now, he's fine.

You got coppers to breed, right? I'm sure bangaiis will be no problem for you.

Bongo Shrimp
Right now, just one, it's with an ugly cucumber lol but they could separate it if you really want

You could just ask to see if they could pick up any more soon

Remember they should be in a species only tank!!!

I'm pretty sure you have to sep the fry to get a decent survival rate, the larger young will eat the smaller young too :(

Bongo Shrimp
If my tiger gets to big I'll consider trading him in...but for now, he's fine.

You got coppers to breed, right? I'm sure bangaiis will be no problem for you.

I got them to breed but am still working on raising the fry. Raising the fry is the tough part of breeding.

Bongo Shrimp
I'm pretty sure you have to sep the fry to get a decent survival rate, the larger young will eat the smaller young too :(

Well, the reason I think it might be able to be done is because so many people end up having them breed in their tanks and fry survive.

animalmaster6

Alpheus randalli is most likely the only, completely reef-safe pistol shrimp.

Bangaii's are super easy to breed. Anyhting will eat the young though. Even the parents. I'm sure you have a decent grasp on breeding right Bongo? I see you on the breeding forums.

They are mouthbrooders and their mouthes can get extremely swelled up to the point where some of the fry will fall out. You need to capture and get the young before the male (or whatever gender doesn't carry the eggs in their mouth. i forget at the moment) eats them.

It's also very beneficial to the spawn if you have a Longspine Diadema Urchin. In the wild the young need to survive in them until they are bigger. Even as adults they can live in urchins.

Someone on the forum made a "fake" urchin. Let me pull up the thread...

Yep yep

Squared, they're not know to live long in captivity :(

You mean the harlequins or emperors? I definatly don't plan on getting emperors.

Well, the reason I think it might be able to be done is because so many people end up having them breed in their tanks and fry survive.

Hmm, I think that might depend on the tank size & livestock, but you might as well give it a try! :)

The emperors or halequins?

Emperors

animalmaster6

Fry surviving is pretty unlikely to happen. Not very common IMO. So many creatures eat them.

Edit: Oh and this only happens in very large reef where there are lots of hiding places.

Bongo Shrimp

I saw the fake urchin somewhere. I would make a fake, "seahorse safe" urchin. It doubles as a hitching post AND fake urchin.

Patent pending :P

Bongo Shrimp
Fry surviving is pretty unlikely to happen. Not very common IMO. So many creatures eat them.

Edit: Oh and this only happens in very large reef where there are lots of hiding places.

Remember there's only seahorses, the cards, a mandarin, and a goby in there. Nothing else. I'm going to look around. i thought I saw someone doing this with the parents in the tank.

Archived