Pod Your Reef

Bongo Shrimp's 29g Lagoon

Bongo Shrimp

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Bongo Shrimp
What temp is your water? Don't sh's need colder water?

What do you feed them and how often?

Yep seahorses need cooler water. It runs about 72-73F.

I feed them usually twice a day every day frozen hikari mysis.

I demand updates :lockdown:

Ok so I was on vacation for a week. God forbid.

While I was gone my banggai cardinal fish spawned and I mangaed to somehow secure a super cool goby/pistol pair which is arriving this week. Think you can guess what it is? (animalmaster cannot guess since he knows already :D)

Bongo Shrimp
If you say magnificent shrimp goby im going to jump out of a window....

Ok fine, and with that I'll just say it.

Better than a magnificent. Try WHITE CAP GOBY WITH RED SPOTTED PISTOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bongo Shrimp
Bongo not sure they will bond. The white cap only bonds with one specific type of pistol.

No- that's the thing. I'm getting him with the specific type of pistol!

Bongo Shrimp

Here they are right before acclimation! Funny thing happened when I put them in. They dissapperaed for a little while and then I found the shrimp digging but no goby. Then I saw my randall's pistol(!) which I though was long gone and with him- the goby. So the shrimp is missing his big snapping claw but once he gets it back I bet he will "fix" things, if you know what I mean.

3dbd3af4.jpg

With my PINKY finger for size comparison (no my pinky is not abnormally large haha):

40c92ac0.jpg

ReelScience
I'm just a little bit more skeptical of your ability to keep these organisms than it seems many users of NR care to be. Filter feeding organisms can take a very long time to starve to death in aquaria. Scientists and researchers with their Ph.D's in marine biology have a very difficult time keeping crinoids and sponges alive with their resources and you think your tiny little nano reefs are going to cut it in the long run?

Get real.

I think you should cut Bongo some slack. He said his sponges are growing! They wouldn't do that if they were slowly starving to death. If you carry your criticism to its logical conclusion, we should all give up our tanks and just admire the reefs in the ocean.

Bongo Shrimp
I think you should cut Bongo some slack. He said his sponges are growing! They wouldn't do that if they were slowly starving to death. If you carry your criticism to its logical conclusion, we should all give up our tanks and just admire the reefs in the ocean.

Thanks for your complement. You do know that was a +1yr old post right? ;)

Dude! More than jealous!

I've been wanting a white cap w/ shrimp for some time. I heart them! Can you add some more photo's?

-Dave

Bongo Shrimp
Dude! More than jealous!

I've been wanting a white cap w/ shrimp for some time. I heart them! Can you add some more photo's?

-Dave

I will as soon as the goby starts venturing further out of the hole. He is very timid and I think just getting used to the tank. Same with the shrimp but he's busy doing what he does best---> Digging.

Bongo Shrimp
Thats awesome bongo...i didnt realize how small they were..well at least compared to that pistol.

Thanks! But how about compared to my pinky finger?!?!

I should have put a dime in there for comparison...

For sure man. If you dont mind me asking where and how much did you scoop them up for? I almost picked up a white cap until I found it did not have a pistol with it. Which are very hard to come by. :(

-Dave

Thanks! But how about compared to my pinky finger?!?!

I should have put a dime in there for comparison...

Its still looks tiny compared to your huge pinky :lol:

Bongo Shrimp
For sure man. If you dont mind me asking where and how much did you scoop them up for? I almost picked up a white cap until I found it did not have a pistol with it. Which are very hard to come by. :(

-Dave

You know my policy about telling people where I get stuff. I will tell you though that it came from someone taking down a tank, not a store. And I don't discuss prices sorry.

And yeah, IMO the shrimp is even harder to find than the goby presently. And even the goby is not the easiest to come by.

Its still looks tiny compared to your huge pinky :lol:

He is! Just imagine, the fish could fit ON a dime.

He is! Just imagine, the fish could fit ON a dime.

Wow thats insane.....im glad hes got such a huge pistol to protect him.

Bongo Shrimp
Wow thats insane.....im glad hes got such a huge pistol to protect him.

I'm glad too but the funny thing is, right now he is with my long thought dead randalls pistol. I think only because he already has nice burrow. I think once the big one grows back his big snapper claw he will claim the tank as his own ;).

Bongo - No worries. I am on the search now! I see LA has one but +200 for just the goby is up there now.

I look forward to your photo's. Keep up the good work!

-Dave

Bongo Shrimp

Thanks everyone! Right now the goby is being very timid hiding in the burrow with the randall's pistol. I think in a few days he will start coming out more. The pistol is remodeling for his new partner.

Archived