Top Shelf Aquatics

NRF's 75- near disaster!

Needreefunds

I've got a Sedra pump on mine, and I love it! Granted, mine would be a bit weak on flow for a 75, but they make larger pumps.

I'm not a fan of relying on the sump return for flow.

I tend to treat it as a nice side benefit :P

Know what I mean?

As for flow, I have the MP20, a Tunze 6005 IIRC?? and several k-2's if need be. Prolly add another MP20 down the road to clean up the system after all is up and running.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yea, Nathan......what return pump ya runnin' ?? :lol:

I've been-a-chewin' on that one too. :rolleyes:

Mag 9.5

its kinda strong though.

but then again i like lotsa flow. :lol:

anyways i heard that the slower the flow thru your sump and fuge the better.

I'm not a fan of relying on the sump return for flow.

I tend to treat it as a nice side benefit :P

Know what I mean?

As for flow, I have the MP20, a Tunze 6005 IIRC?? and several k-2's if need be. Prolly add another MP20 down the road to clean up the system after all is up and running.

LOL i have a MP40 AND a MP20 running on mine usually.

ATM the wetside broke for the MP40 so im using the MP20s wetside on the MP40.

oh yeah and i was running them both at like 80% :lol:

Militant Jurist

Yeah, I know whatcha mean Richie. I don't rely on it either, but I treat it as a nice extra. However, I thought you might want a more powerful rate to have a higher flow-through for the sump. I use filter floss in mine, so I like the 4 to 500GPH flow through on my 10g sump.

Mag 9.5

its kinda strong though.

but then again i like lotsa flow. :lol:

^^^^ see above reply ti MJ ^^^ :P

anyways i heard that the slower the flow thru your sump and fuge the better.

I agree. There is a balance to be found there methinks.

You could always add a ball valve when you re-do your sump and throttle that back some. :)

^^^^ see above reply ti MJ ^^^ :P

I agree. There is a balance to be found there methinks.

You could always add a ball valve when you re-do your sump and throttle that back some. :)

yeah. sadly i opted not to put a ball valve on my return...stupid on my part. now i gotta turn the pump off every time i feed -_- lol.

oh yeah and glad to help :D

yeah. sadly i opted not to put a ball valve on my return...stupid on my part. now i gotta turn the pump off every time i feed -_- lol.

oh yeah and glad to help :D

Meh. prolly easier to just turn off the pump anyway :happy:

And Thank you as well good Sir. The thoughts are greatly appreciated. :)

I had to put 2 ball valves on my 125g The flow thru the sump ws way to fast!! micro bubble and slurping sound hell!! now itsa quiet :D I have a Mag 12

I added a K2 in da sump for da secret coralz :ninja:

edit- ufo.gif I have 2X K3's in the display

Deleted User 6

I need some pics to help me figure out what's going on! So far I'm thinking somewhere between you're building a Wendy's drive-through or a dog house.

Militant Jurist
I need some pics to help me figure out what's going on! So far I'm thinking somewhere between you're building a Wendy's drive-through or a dog house.

That's got me depressed. :(

The original Wendy's is less than a block away from my law school, and it's being torn down for some catholic foundation. :angry:

I had to put 2 ball valves on my 125g The flow thru the sump ws way to fast!! micro bubble and slurping sound hell!! now itsa quiet :D I have a Mag 12

I added a K2 in da sump for da secret coralz :ninja:

edit- ufo.gif I have 2X K3's in the display

:o Maria wuz 'ducted :o

Meh, can't decide on a return pump... mag 7 or 9.5 :huh:

Better make up my mind before the Drs. sale ends Monday - 20% off

Second half of sand delivery finally arrived.

Ordered a filter sock holder and sump inlet hose kit.

Made some progress on stand.

Putting too much pressure on myself with this build. I really need to slow down and try to enjoy it.

It's just the constant shuffle of tools and materials and clutter around the house that bugs me I guess.

If I had a garage or workshop / space- it would be different. But hey, we all have to make the best of it, right?

I'll feel better when the transfer is complete.

* end whine* :happy:

Mag 7 ?

Taggin along.

Get er running and I'll shoot you a tank warming frag!

Great to have ya as always Brett! :)

lol @ tank warming frag.

:lol:

Thanks!

Mag 7 ?

i just remembered that your putting a ball valve on your return so i would say just get the bigger one.

then you can increase the flow as the pump naturally slows. ;)

Aww, Richie. You're doing a great job, enjoy this! If it takes some extra time...so what? It just shows the care you put into this hobby and the critters in your tank, as evidenced by the many people following this new build. :)

I know what you mean about the stress of things laying around, but it'll be done before you know it.

i just remembered that your putting a ball valve on your return so i would say just get the bigger one.

then you can increase the flow as the pump naturally slows. ;)

Think I will Nate. Better to have more and throttle it back if need be. Tough to "add" more if it ain't there to give :P

Cheer-1.gifCheer-1.gif Go Richie, Go!!! Cheer-1.gifCheer-1.gif

I'mma tryin' Lisa!

:lol:

Yeah... DO THIS!!! :happydance:

Thanks buddy - see above :P

Aww, Richie. You're doing a great job, enjoy this! If it takes some extra time...so what? It just shows the care you put into this hobby and the critters in your tank, as evidenced by the many people following this new build. :)

I know what you mean about the stress of things laying around, but it'll be done before you know it.

*sniff* *sniff* Can ya feel the love ? :tears:

Great to have so many of mah buddies following along.

:grouphug:

Looks like you might get water in before me. :). Of course that is not too hard.

I need to run an ro di line to the tank to fill mine and get some sand. The line will run the ato eventually.

Looking good Richie. Waiting for pics of a slick stand!

Oh, and having a garage does not help ;)

Looks like you might get water in before me. :). Of course that is not too hard.

I need to run an ro di line to the tank to fill mine and get some sand. The line will run the ato eventually.

:P ooooo, plummin' is fun! :rolleyes:

Looking good Richie. Waiting for pics of a slick stand!

Don't know how slick it is, but for a DIY, I'm happy with it so far.

001-31.jpg

002-32.jpg

005-29.jpg

Whatcha think, Not so bad ?? :huh:

Oh, and having a garage does not help ;)

No? Pitch black out there now...... I could be cuttin' in a garage. :lol:

Point taken though. ;):P

Not bad? It's great! Is that white pine finish plywood? Nice work on the trim, btw.

Thanks MJ. I think it is the white pine, but not positive.

They just called it sanded ply at Depot.

I need to pick up some latches for the removable right side next. I have just a few brads holding it in place for now. Hopefully I can knock it back out :P

I hope to find some friction ball type latches at Depot or lowes, we shall see.

I should have cut my plexi while I had my cutting station set up, but wasn't thinking far enough ahead.

Ordered my return pump and stuffs for install. * yay *

So some progress was made on a day I woke up feeling like sheet. :happy:

Holy CHIT bro... :o That is one beautiful stand you built right there buddy!!! Be proud of that!!! Now... Kick back, relax, and grab a beer!!!

B)

Archived