ReefCleaners.org

Evilc66's Barracuda

evilc66

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We shall see ;) I talked to Chris about the new mount. Should have news about that early next week. I'm excited to see the new mount.

Well, I went and did it. The tank is stripped down, all the rock and sand are in the trash, and the corals are in the frag tank. The tank is currently having a white vinegar soak in the downstairs bathtub, and will be cleaned and dried tomorrow.

Now, while I was dissapointed to tear the tank down, it did prove to have one benefit. I found the culprit of all my problems. Turns out that I missed a number of lead balls from when my thermometer broke. Once I pulled the pump out, there they were, staring at me, taunting me. I've got sand waiting in the garage, and I'll pick up new live rock tomorrow after work.

Great! Back to square one. :angry:

So last night I got the tank and all the equipment all cleaned up, and made sure there were no more rust spots. Got some nice rock from the LFS, and started refilling it. It's been running over night now, and the water was cleared up as of this morning. I have a little too much sand in there right now, but I'll fix that today. I should have some pictures of the new scape this evening. Now we wait.

Nah. Not difficult at all. With the whole tank being only 3.5g, any work that needs to be done only takes minutes. I spent longer picking the rock out at the LFS! I'm using that ESV B-Ionic salt, so it mixes super quick.

Deleted User 6

Good to hear we're back on track. I use the ESV salt too - do you test after each batch for calc/alk/mg, or just mix to 1.025 or whatever?

I'm getting my new rock in from John at RC this weekend. No sand though - I'm going to try my first BB tank. I already think I like it - a quick turkey baste of the rocks/bottom into some intank filter floss removes a ton of crud.

Did you decide on lighting?

Looking forward to pics! And finding out what will be used for lighting of course...

Tonight I set up my new RO/DI unit... :)

P.s. I've got a frag you can have that would be perfect for a pico like this! ;)

Good to hear we're back on track. I use the ESV salt too - do you test after each batch for calc/alk/mg, or just mix to 1.025 or whatever?

I'm getting my new rock in from John at RC this weekend. No sand though - I'm going to try my first BB tank. I already think I like it - a quick turkey baste of the rocks/bottom into some intank filter floss removes a ton of crud.

Did you decide on lighting?

I've just been mixing to 1.025, but I really should start checking my mixes. My only problem is that I typically mix in multiple 5gal buckets, so I'd have to test each one for it to be truely accurate. Obviously, this is only an issue with the larger tanks, but many times I'll do all my water changes at once on all tanks.

Lighting for this tank isn't changing. The only change will be in getting the new mount for the PicoLamp. I may also end up changing it out for one of the production anodized versions that I have instead of the un-anodized prototype.

Looking forward to pics! And finding out what will be used for lighting of course...

Tonight I set up my new RO/DI unit... :)

P.s. I've got a frag you can have that would be perfect for a pico like this! ;)

One of these days I'm going to stop over and check out your setup, and pick up that frag from you. Maybe this weekend if you are free?

Hey man no worries it's not like it's taking up a lot of space or anything!

Actually my tank looks super bare right now in comparison to the 29g. I'll be filling it up with corals sloooowly. I really want to get some strong pieces and focus on getting some good growth. I also have some more work to do on the secondary tank as well, and I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my ATO.

Anyways, I'm almost always in the area so feel free to give me a call anytime!

Deleted User 6

I do the same with the salt. I figure if something dies, it was weak to begin with. And I have no room in my life for weakness, lol.

Figure out the new scape yet? I got a bunch of rock from John to play around with. You're officially my pico competition. ;)

Yeah. I removed some sand to a point where I like it better. Scape hasn't changed since I started it back up. I'll try and get a picture or two up tonight after class.

Well, obviously I'm horrible at commiting to getting pictures up, seeing as I have posted none. I'll try and get one or two up at lunch.

Pitchers!

DSC_06290004.jpg

FTS

DSC_06300003.jpg

I was geeked to find this rock. Most of the other rocks that were in the tubs at the LFS were pretty barren when it came to coraline algae.

DSC_06320002.jpg

Same rock.

DSC_06330001.jpg

Some nice hidey holes over here.

I'm starting to notice diatoms for the first time today. I'm hoping my cycle will be pretty short, as the rock was only out of water for about 5 minutes. If I start noticing high levels of ammonia and nitrite, I may just start soft cycling the tank to get it moving a little faster. I might just let it be and let this tank and the Manta cycle at the same time. Hopefully that will show up this week.

Archived