Coral Vue Hydros

Evilc66's Barracuda

evilc66

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks great as does the light fixture.

As for the patent issues, couldn't you design the light as a dimming unit for both white and blue but ship it non-dimming.

A few parts and the DIY'ers can get a fully functioning system.

Of course it depends on how the guts all go together but gets you around the lawyers for now.

-r

There may be some ways around the issue like you mentioned, but we have to weigh the options.

No real updates on the tank, as I've been letting it run it's course while I have been working on new stuff. The cycle seems over, and a new CUC is starting to get to work. I had a strange white/clear jelly looking substance over most of my rockwork for a few weeks, but it disapeared over the weekend while at Reefstock.

Speaking of Reefstock, we showed of the latest prototypes of my pico fixture

DSC_06580021.jpg

DSC_06620017.jpg

DSC_06630016.jpg

Looks pretty hot in black right? Looks like there is going to be two versions. One running at 350mA and another running at 700mA. This will give two options for light levels. At 350mA it will be good for a mixed reef. At 700mA it will be good for sps heavy setups. The different mounts should work for a good number of different tanks.

While out there, we stopped by Jake Adams of Reefbuilders house and we snapped some pics of it over his 12" ADA cube tank.

DSC_06710009.jpg

DSC_06720008.jpg

DSC_06750005.jpg

DSC_06700010.jpg

DSC_06730007.jpg

DSC_06740006.jpg

DSC_06760004.jpg

DSC_06770003.jpg

DSC_06780002.jpg

DSC_06790001.jpg

Looks great! Love the lamp in black. Count me in for a setup once you've got things sorted. I'm still playing around with my Fluval Edge setup. I'll be posting things shortly.

-r

ledoverreef015.jpg

How do you keep the water from not pouring out?

;)

-----------------------------------------

Love the amount of life you have in the tank. Colors are wonderful (no doubt due to your awesome lights). Looks really cool.

DSC_06700010.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

No firm ETA, but we are working hard on getting the last details sorted. Shouldn't be too much longer.

• 2 months later...
Obsessed Reefer

So I've been trying to figure out what tank to buy to get back into the hobby, and I'm pretty sure I've fallen in love, both with the tank, but the lighting system. I always used to love bringing back threads from the past, granted 2 months isn't that old, when I know you run a busy life, but any updates on the tank and lights?

Pre-orders for the lights are starting to ship, and all future orders will ship fairly quickly, depending on how we can batch the anodizing.

Tank is looking better. I have a few corals in that are doing well. I just started changing over to ESV B-Ionic salt, and I'm hoping that will give me some nice results. This stuff really does mix in 10 minutes flat. I'll get some pictures up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Evil!

Just bought your 12.3 Pico Light from nanocustoms, (Presale), I'm sure by your last post they are being shipped out immediately?

And 250w Par! thanks for a great product. All the best, and continued success

• 4 months later...

I have a pico 3gallon jbj tank and im wondering if i bought 2 ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips the all blue and blue and white strips would be enough for haveing SPS and LPS corals

do you have any other suggestions not looking to spend a crap load of MONEYYY$$$........

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, this thread has been neglected. The poor tank has not been happy since it was switched over from the original acrylic version. It's much more stable than it used to be, but there is still some algae issues that seem to not go away. It's brown slime algae (not cyano) that comes back after a few days after syphoning it out. Corals seem to be ok, for the few that are in there, except for 5 heads of duncan coral that melted away within 24 hours. Wasn't happy about that. If things don't improve soon, I'll just take the corals out and tear it down and start fresh. Might do that once I get my Manta 15 in.

can we get a pic of the slime algae? are you sure its not cyano? if its some type of cyano, you can beat it easily with time, if its dyno then the tank may need what you mentioned..

Definitely not cyano. Had that before. Dino, maybe. It does seem to recede with the lights out. The filtration is running Chemi-Pure Elite right now. Might try another blackout and see where that gets me. I think some of the recent issues was contributed by some stray lead balls from the glass thermometer that broke a while back. I found two straglers that I didn't get during cleanup, but they have been out of the tank for months.

Might be worth a look. I may still have some lead hiding somewhere in the tank causing problems. I've gone through the back chambers pretty thoroughly already, but who knows. I have a bag of sand in the garage, unopened. It's only got 2lbs of rock in it, so I may just pull all the corals out and put them in the frag tank while I get it up and running with new sand and rock. Hmm. Two tanks cycling within a week or two of each other.

Archived