inTank Media Baskets

Evilc66's Barracuda

evilc66

I saw you hadn't posted since before Christmas and I was about ready to send a search party out for you. This was def worth the wait though. Looks great, keep up the good work.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My desk is an absolute disaster right now. So many tools, parts, projects and junk on it. Needs to be cleaned, but not right now.

The light still needs a little polish. The heatsink was a first run that Chris and I did late at night when we met up a few months back. We learned a lot about how to machine it since then, so it will be a lot cleaner. The next prototype will be anodized black, and will be that way in production too. Got a few more things I want to polish off too.

Performance has been pretty good so far. At full tilt, I was measuring about 250 PAR on the sand. That's more than enough for most any coral you could want. We are not 100% sure if dimming will stay for production models because of the patent issue. This is really killing the industry.

I hope to have the new parts soon so I can build up a final prototype. Should look pretty sexy in black.

nice. what patent? you mean some else patented dimming capabilities? what is this world coming to?

the black will definately look sexy!

well then how is the kr-92 produced. does eco-lamps not have to abide by the patent or are they paying royalties?

Don't know. Do they manufacture in the US or over seas?

Eco-Lamps operates outside of the US, so they can get around it. They can get nailed for importing into the country though, but Orbitec hasn't picked on them yet.

Great looking tank, love the light. You do some great work with that stuff!

Thanks. I try :)

Slick looking light. definitely an upgrade to having a huge sunpod or something stuck on top of a pico.

Ya. Doesn't quite look like a massive lump on top of a little tank. Hard to do without LEDs. I think I can make it even thinner. You may have to come over and check it out some time AJ.

money hungry people. oh well. we live in out own little world. lol

Sad but true. I would have less anger towards them if they actually had a product of their own.

Ya. Doesn't quite look like a massive lump on top of a little tank. Hard to do without LEDs. I think I can make it even thinner. You may have to come over and check it out some time AJ.

Oh for sure. I'm a huge fan of ingenuity... Of course it doesn't hurt that this will come anodized black as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking fixture, mate. Sucks about the ever-lingering patent issues shooting you in the foot (I love Orbitec, but goddamn, drop the patent thing already!), though surely there must be some way to skirt it being that you're a smaller product producer?

How're you finding the Luxeons compare to the CREEs for colour binning and stuff? We don't get them over here so I've never seen them up close.

any news if are going to start making these pico fixtures??

They will be made. It's just a matter of when. I want to build up one more prototype as a finished product, then Chris and I need to figure out the cost end of things.

Nice looking fixture, mate. Sucks about the ever-lingering patent issues shooting you in the foot (I love Orbitec, but goddamn, drop the patent thing already!), though surely there must be some way to skirt it being that you're a smaller product producer?

How're you finding the Luxeons compare to the CREEs for colour binning and stuff? We don't get them over here so I've never seen them up close.

Why do you love Orbitech? Nothing to love there IMO. If they actually had a product on the market, that would be one thing.

Luxeons are similar, and the tint from one LED to the next is pretty close. The end colors are slightly different than the Crees, but nothing off-putting. The royals seem to have a little more purple to them. One of these days I'll get an XR-E and a Rebel on the spectrometer to see the spectral differences.

Hi this is my second post new to this stuff.Anyway i have a jbj 6g cube and i like the light setup you have. I live in australia, I have been reading a lot of posts about leds. And i figure i might all well get it right from the start. And you seem to be the man, so the question is can you buy something here in aus, I cant seem to find much information about leds over here. I see the maxspect 60w has a compact version, Also the eco lamps look good, but they are a bit bulky . Maybe you can suggest something suitable. I dont really want to diy . Time is a bit of an issue. If you cant suggest something .Maybe you could let me know your choice between the maxspect or the eco lamps . the maxspect are lot cheaper. But are they similar quality to the eco. You thoughts would be appreciated...ps i want to keep some acans possible some lps sps...

money hungry people. oh well. we live in out own little world. lol

I don't think that it would occur to most inventors today that they could have patented a dimmable LED.

LEDs have always been dimmable. It is how they work. And we have had LEDs for over 40 years.

You give them more power, they become brighter. It is how they work.

They have also been available in various colors for that same amount of time. It is how they work.

So, in effect, it is like someone convincing the patent office that you invented the letter E, and be given a patent on it. No one really expects to actually get that patent, because it has been around a long time.

What this company did was convince the patent office that they invented two features that all LEDs have inherently. And they were given a patent for it. And that will not change until someone challenges them in the courts.

Orbitec was not even a company when the first dimmable colored LEDs were actually invented. But that does not matter. They have the money to pay IP whores/lawyers to send out cease and desist letters to scare anyone who has a dimmable LEDs system. And most of those people don't have the money to fight them. So they cave.

Compuserve held the patent on the .gif image format. Because they actually invented it. They tried to enforce the patent, and lost several lawsuits. They don't try to enforce the patent now. Because everyone violated their patent. I do, you do, this site does. Everyone violates it. Plus the 10/20 years of patent protection is over anyway.

Hi this is my second post new to this stuff.Anyway i have a jbj 6g cube and i like the light setup you have. I live in australia, I have been reading a lot of posts about leds. And i figure i might all well get it right from the start. And you seem to be the man, so the question is can you buy something here in aus, I cant seem to find much information about leds over here. I see the maxspect 60w has a compact version, Also the eco lamps look good, but they are a bit bulky . Maybe you can suggest something suitable. I dont really want to diy . Time is a bit of an issue. If you cant suggest something .Maybe you could let me know your choice between the maxspect or the eco lamps . the maxspect are lot cheaper. But are they similar quality to the eco. You thoughts would be appreciated...ps i want to keep some acans possible some lps sps...

Either option would work, and the quality seems similar on both. Those are probably going to be your only two commercial options though for the time being.

Thanks for the reply .I suppose you get asked a bit about making custom leds for the members etc .I think you would have a niche market here .

money does speak all languages

Archived