Cultivated Reef

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
Good joke huh? :P 4real.. how did L get a thread that long? friggin insain.

I know! There's a huge following though, and I think it's been running for quite a while.

However.....

We just hit Post #1000!

party.gif

post-3012-1171677592.gif

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know! There's a huge following though, and I think it's been running for quite a while.

However.....

We just hit Post #1000!

party.gif

post-3012-1171677592.gif

WHOO HOO posts in the 4th digit.

When you gonna go over and wet the old monkeys back bro?

Have you ever figured out how your gonna enclose the back / top plumbing of your tank? Has the drains got any quieter after beign up and running for a few weeks? I sure know mine did. But then it only ment that I had to tinker with the gate valves to adj the flow of drain to the return pump.

Militant Jurist
WHOO HOO posts in the 4th digit.

When you gonna go over and wet the old monkeys back bro?

Have you ever figured out how your gonna enclose the back / top plumbing of your tank? Has the drains got any quieter after beign up and running for a few weeks? I sure know mine did. But then it only ment that I had to tinker with the gate valves to adj the flow of drain to the return pump.

The old monkeys have always been welcome. I was talking about adults in the same way that Willie Wonka talked about adults. THOSE kinds of adults. ;)

Yeah, my drains have gotten much quieter. Still not silent, but I figure once I put a proper enclosure around the stand, it should go away. Now, it's just background noise.

As for the top/back, I think I'm just going to use plywood and box it off. I'm going to use some kind of netting though, to make sure that anyone who tries to jump just gets knocked back in. I'm contemplating using window screen, unless someone else has a better suggestion!

Oh, and I've been putting some thought into my future stocking. I think I'm going to get the pair of chalk bass in January, and the Starry Blenny sometime in March. I don't want to get any fish in december, because I'll be gone for quite a few days around the holidays, and I don't want new fish to be forced to go a few days without being fed.

I dont wanna be onna THOSE adults. Can I be Slugworth? He looks like a guy in the know.

I think you should make a slide of some sort. So if yer fish jump then they will take a slide down to the fuge. WOO HOO! I have seen folks use the eggcrate stuff and just make a vertical wall from the top rim of the tank to the inside of the hood. This way it will hold itself up. Then you have no need to build a frame to hold the screen.

Militant Jurist
Your plan for timing the stocking of new fish sounds great. :)

And Willie Wonka is always cool, both versions. I don't wanna be an Oompa Loompa, though. :P

Thanks!

I was a much bigger fan of the original version. The Depp version was a bit too dark for a Willie Wonka movie. You don't have to been Oompa Loompa, but remember, that the schnozberries taste like schnozberries!

:P

I dont wanna be onna THOSE adults. Can I be Slugworth? He looks like a guy in the know.

Sounds good to me! B)

I think you should make a slide of some sort. So if yer fish jump then they will take a slide down to the fuge. WOO HOO! I have seen folks use the eggcrate stuff and just make a vertical wall from the top rim of the tank to the inside of the hood. This way it will hold itself up. Then you have no need to build a frame to hold the screen.

Haha I like the slide idea! Maybe put a loopdiloop in it, so they have a rollercoaster ride as well? I like the eggcrate idea. Eggcrate + window screen sounds like a good plan to me! Not to mention, less work. :P

Thanks!

I was a much bigger fan of the original version. The Depp version was a bit too dark for a Willie Wonka movie. You don't have to been Oompa Loompa, but remember, that the schnozberries taste like schnozberries!

:P

I did love the original, but in a lot of ways the Depp version was more faithful to the original book. Now don't turn me into a blueberry!

Militant Jurist
= morh time to play with your gunz. Oh and play with your old monkey :o

:lol:

I could go somewhere with that last statement, but I'll keep things relatively PG-13 here in the Barrel. ;)

I did love the original, but in a lot of ways the Depp version was more faithful to the original book. Now don't turn me into a blueberry!

Yeah, that's true. I just grew up since being a wee little kid with the original movie, so that new one just didn't compute. I won't turn you into one, but if Richie's brownies turn you into something, we'll make sure to put you through the juicer and get you back to normal. :P

I could go somewhere with that last statement, but I'll keep things relatively PG-13 here in the Barrel. ;)

Yep you could. I forgot to put in the word thread in that last sentence. Oh well more :o for opy to read.

Militant Jurist

So, here are three reef-related questions:

The polyps don't seem to be all that well extended on my acro. Does it need more flow?

100_1023.jpg

Is this an encrusting or a plating monti?

100_1021.jpg

Oh, and what kind of coral is this (the one on the right)? I'm guessing some kind of monti.

100_1025.jpg

So, here are three reef-related questions:

The polyps don't seem to be all that well extended on my acro. Does it need more flow?

100_1023.jpg

Is this an encrusting or a plating monti?

100_1021.jpg

Oh, and what kind of coral is this (the one on the right)? I'm guessing some kind of monti.

100_1025.jpg

First, i can see polyps.

second, some acros just naturally have very shot polyps. but you should check you water anyways. ;)

your monti is definitely different from mine. i think yours is probably a encurster, but i could also be a plater because its growing off of the plug

def. a monti. and i can tell you for sure that that one encrust. ;)

Militant Jurist

I was just worried about the PE because it's nothing compared to my green slimer. Then again, I know the green slimers are known for their wicked polyps. ;) I'm not so worried about the water itself. It's not quite on the receiving end of the flow the way the slimer is. The acro is placed more in the intake draft of the flow, rather than the output area.

Yeah, the green monti seems to be confused about what it's doing. Time shall tell!

I really like the encrusting monti. I wonder if it has a name..... if not, I'm sure it will get one! B)

I was just worried about the PE because it's nothing compared to my green slimer. Then again, I know the green slimers are known for their wicked polyps. ;) I'm not so worried about the water itself. It's not quite on the receiving end of the flow the way the slimer is. The acro is placed more in the intake draft of the flow, rather than the output area.

Yeah, the green monti seems to be confused about what it's doing. Time shall tell!

I really like the encrusting monti. I wonder if it has a name..... if not, I'm sure it will get one! B)

Chilli.

;)

:haha:

Militant Jurist

So, I've got a bit of a dilemma. In my 20L, the red monti cap at the top center of the tank has been bleaching a bit, and has barely been growing. I think it's because it's getting way too much light for a cap, because the slimer right next to it is doing great, as are the other montis in the tank.

Soooo......

I'm thinking of moving this cap to the 29g. The alk has been consistently within range, and while the calcium has been a bit low (mid-300's), I'm working to slowly increase that number.

What do ya'll think about this plan to move in SPS?

Militant Jurist
Yeah, I'm pretty clever when I don't have to come up with the ideas. :lol:

That's when it counts, right?

Oh wait.... :huh:

I think you need to move it as well...

Only to my tank. They get cookies in there. SPS like cookies. :o

Militant Jurist
I think you need to move it as well...

Only to my tank. They get cookies in there. SPS like cookies. :o

Well, if that's the test, then all of our coralz should be with Richie, because then they'd get magic brownies! ;)

Mine seem to be happy though. I think it's all of the drugs they get for being in the Loony Bin of the Barrel!

Well, if that's the test, then all of our coralz should be with Richie, because then they'd get magic brownies! ;)

Mine seem to be happy though. I think it's all of the drugs they get for being in the Loony Bin of the Barrel!

This is very true my friend. Mine love the vodka. :D

:D

Where is your tank, cow kid? Do you have a current thread?

Its in muh house duh! http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180612

Would be in my sig if I knew how to do the cool little linky words like you guys. But I'm old, so it aint.

Archived