ReefCleaners.org

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
Hey not all coal is bad. It depends on the percentage of carbon or sulfer in it.

*I am from KY so I may have brainwashed when it comes to coal.

Well, rational people know that, but you've got to remember that we're talking about the all-fossil-fuels-are-bad crowd. ;)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

New coralz today!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Question though: the shipment is arriving before noon, and I won't get home until 5:30 or later. I will have someone around the house when the shipment arrives. Should I just keep the package sealed up in the house until I get home, or should I have the coral bags taken out of the box and floated until I get home? I know long floating isn't good for fish, because of the ammonia toxicity build up as the temp increases, but I don't imagine the corals producing much ammonia during the 1 day shipping time. Still, I thought I'd better ask around first.

Militant Jurist
Have the bags floated in your tank til you get home. :)

Wilco!

I can't wait to see these corals and macro. :happy:

this has been a question i have always wondered but never bothered asking. i always just kept them in the box but couldn't understand why that would be better than floating.

Militant Jurist
I have floated corals overnight after coming home late from fragswaps to no ill effect. What did you get MJ?

I got some purple hornets (5 polyps I believe) and a christmas favia. There's a cool looking macro attached to the favia... I wonder if it's neomeris annulata? Here's a picture of a guy with some from the local club: 11.08.2006-3.jpg

Source: http://corareef.org/forum/showpost.php?p=5...amp;postcount=6

Deleted User 6

yeah, dive wasn't impressed with it. i loved mine, but it seriously grows everywhere. and it just pops up wherever it wants too - doesn't follow any logic.

Militant Jurist
I think it was Dive that had Neomeris annulata in his bicube and could not get it under control.

I really don't mind that so much. Considering the amount of bubble algae I presently have growing over the LR, having this stuff growing over it instead would be nice. Plus, I like the random/natural look. ;)

yeah, dive wasn't impressed with it. i loved mine, but it seriously grows everywhere. and it just pops up wherever it wants too - doesn't follow any logic.

I think I'll like it as well. It seems pretty cool, and I'm a big fan of the oddball stuff.

So everything is okay?

Not sure that it's Neomeris although I see the resemblance.

It looks different from the Neomeris I had a couple of years ago, it's darker for one thing.

Militant Jurist
So everything is okay?

Not sure that it's Neomeris although I see the resemblance.

It looks different from the Neomeris I had a couple of years ago, it's darker for one thing.

So far so good! I left the tank dark yesterday, but I flicked on this lights for a second this morning. I could see a least one mouth of the xmas favia had some feeder tentacles poking out, and one of the PH polyps was showing signs of opening. The lights are on a normal schedule for today, so hopefully I'll have good news to report tonight. :happy:

I have a feeling that neomeris comes in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors. I was told that the green stuff in my snorkeling pictures was also neomeris. Either way, whatever it's called, it looks cool. :D

MJ

that article was a good read, thanks for posting it.

the tank is lookin great. that fuzzy tip combined with the coralin algae does a lot to naturalize the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Militant Jurist
MJ

that article was a good read, thanks for posting it.

Glad you enjoyed it!

the tank is lookin great. that fuzzy tip combined with the coralin algae does a lot to naturalize the tank.

Thanks! The tank's been doing pretty well (aside from the algae issue), but even that's not so much of a problem per se. I've been crazy busy between work and home improvement projects. I built a 300sqft stone patio last weekend with the assistance of a friend and my dad - we moved a grand total of probably about 7 tons of material. The new project is digging out a new parking area, probably with a brick surface.

In the tank realm, the corals have continued to grow like crazy. The purple hornets and xmas favia have been doing great. Hopefully I'll be able to take some pictures tonight to finally post. They are on the frag rack for the time being. Since the 20L needs to come down, I moved the clownfish pair to the 29 yesterday, and the cleaner shrimp moves tonight. I'm not sure if the engineer goby is still alive, since I haven't seen him in a while. I don't think he can go in the 29 though. :(

All of the coral save one will be making the move soon. The one that can't go is the LARGE red monti cap. It's not doing the best right now do to some neglect (I've had a house guest staying in that room for the last month), but it's still alive. It's just a bit pink, rather than red.

Here's where I'm at with that coral: I got it for the 75, and I paid $15 for the massive thing. I could either (A) try to sell it to someone else for $15; (B) frag it and sell $5 pieces (after letting it recover), or © let it heal up a bit, frag it, and the mount lots of smaller monti cap frags in random places in the 29. Thoughts?

I built a 300sqft stone patio last weekend with the assistance of a friend and my dad - we moved a grand total of probably about 7 tons of material.

WHAT! Wasn't your dad just in the hospital for some heart related issues, or am I thinking of someone else?

8 bazillion degress out, 7 ton of brick etc. etc., are you mad!!!

Militant Jurist
WHAT! Wasn't your dad just in the hospital for some heart related issues, or am I thinking of someone else?

8 bazillion degress out, 7 ton of brick etc. etc., are you mad!!!

Nope, you have the right person. The doc has him running/biking about 7 miles a few times a week, and cleared him for a full return a while back. He bounced back from it so quickly that I think he surprised even the Doc! His only limit is he has to keep watching about properly lifting heavier objects, but he's allowed to haul car parts around and go everything he normally would do at work.

Even with that, we kept him in the shade, and did most of the heavy lifting between myself and my buddy. My dad just moved sang and gravel bags around his truck bed, and then cut them once they were ready to be dumped. We made sure to keep plenty of water around for him as well. It was a bit of a cloudy and windy day that day, so it wasn't too bad in that respect either. With the brick driveway, he'll have some help from my brother, but it's more just to make it go faster, rather than because of any limits.

Militant Jurist
Wow! He did recover quickly then. Good for him, and glad to see he is doing so well.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to believe that it hasn't even been 5 months since he had his heart attack. Earlier in the summer, we did a fair bit of golfing, and now that's he's feeling even better, he's gone back to pretty much all of the work he did before. He's just taking it a bit easier, and trying to relax more. Probably a good idea for all of us. ;)

My house has had a pretty drastic transformation this summer. I re-did all of the landscaping in the front yard, built a stone patio out back, next there will be a driveway expansion, and hopefully I'll have the time and money to re-build my screened in porch, which is in desperate need of repair. I'm hoping to get it all done before the vet returns, so that I can just sit back and enjoy it all with her. B)

You live right in the city or on the outskirts? Just asking cause there are some nice older homes right in the city and I picture your house being like that and you fixing it up. (I'm thinking like right down along 23 from Henderson south)

Militant Jurist
You live right in the city or on the outskirts? Just asking cause there are some nice older homes right in the city and I picture your house being like that and you fixing it up. (I'm thinking like right down along 23 from Henderson south)

Kind of both. I'm in Columbus proper, but between Bexley and Whitehall, in that very narrow strip of Columbus between the two that centers on James. It's a 1941 house, but because of the area in which it was built, I have a pretty large lot for the city. It's basically a quarter of an acre, with a depth of 135' or so. It's old enough to have wood shingle siding.

Militant Jurist
I think you should post a pic or two so we can see the results of all your hard work.

I'll take some tonight! The landscaping isn't completely done yet, since most of my plants won't arrive til this fall, and even then, they'll be bareroot. But what I have looks cool. :happy: My house is white, so I got some nice deep-black mulch to put around, with some very colorful plants. This fall, I'm getting some cool irises, and in the spring I've got some crazy plants coming.

That's great to hear about dad.

For some really interesting harder to find plants take a look at wayside gardens. I can't remember where the from specifically but its out east so things should ship well. There good for having things that others don't like cherry trees, specialty bulbs, so forth. Not sure which zone your in off the top of my head. But even with it being in the northern east coast there are a bunch of great things to put in. Can't wait to see it all.

Oh yeah if your into iris, take a look at one called Iris chrysographe. Its a true black iris, but may need to go in a pot depending on zone.

Militant Jurist
That's great to hear about dad.

For some really interesting harder to find plants take a look at wayside gardens. I can't remember where the from specifically but its out east so things should ship well. There good for having things that others don't like cherry trees, specialty bulbs, so forth. Not sure which zone your in off the top of my head. But even with it being in the northern east coast there are a bunch of great things to put in. Can't wait to see it all.

Oh yeah if your into iris, take a look at one called Iris chrysographe. Its a true black iris, but may need to go in a pot depending on zone.

Thanks!

I'll take a look at wayside gardens. I've been ordering from Gurneys, since they are online, have lots of sales, and pretty much have a no-questions asked guarantee on most stuff for as long as you own the garden. I'm always open to other options! I've been looking for a true black, so I'll try to hunt down the chryso.

Archived