Coral Vue Hydros

DIY 6 GALLON AIO SPS/LPS PICO! RICH FOLKS NEED NOT APPLY!

scooternerd

My Suggestion

I've always loved Canon cameras...easy to use, compact and takes GREAT pics.

A very good suggestion.

I have a Canon PowerShot A720 IS that I love.

And P&S from that series is good, as well as the Canon SD series, as linked above.

One of their strengths is that they took pretty good Macro shots, and they have a lot of different options.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@ OP, i love the pico! What do you do, several water changes to keep things in check? Thats the method im going to subscribe to for awhile and see if growth improves on everything in the tank...if not, ill need to look into another avenue for growth.

i do bi weekly water changes of 20% i stir the DSB once every other day sometimes daily the mangroves help out also. the weird thing about the mangroves is they are getting 0 artificial light and are doing better then under a 6500k spot light! :huh: oh well as long as it works!

thanks on the cam suggestion jz and weeti! evry one else :P :P :P-_-:happy:

i may just bite the bullet and spend a little extra on an actual camera. i saw THIS camera . any good?

Well wait, what light are the Mangroves getting?

I'm just curious cause I'm gonna put a couple of Mangroves in the 10" cube I'm putting together and they will be getting sunlight only, not artificial light.

Well wait, what light are the Mangroves getting?

I'm just curious cause I'm gonna put a couple of Mangroves in the 10" cube I'm putting together and they will be getting sunlight only, not artificial light.

they are getting sunlight through the blinds but very little as the window is about 12" away and on the north side of my house

few shots from today.

i have seen 2-3mm of growth from this green slimer frag already!! imagine that! under PC lighting ;)

100_2569.jpg

hammer

100_2568.jpg

pink panthers

100_2570.jpg

superman monti (with sand on it) stupid CBS!

100_2571.jpg

orange center no names

100_2565.jpg

EE's

100_2557.jpg

mangroves are doing extremely well!

100_2573.jpg

FTS

100_2555.jpg

Looking good.

I saw that Pentax you posted. The problem is that it's not one of the big players, IE not thousands of accessories and lenses to chose from.

The Nikon D40 would be a better bet, and it costs a tad less. It has the same MP (which is irrelevant, truly the quality of pixels matters). Then, you could get an old manual focus and meter macro lens for under $50, or use the stock kit lens for decent pics. That's the route I went. I love the camera, and I use the kit lens for quick focusing for my fast fish, and the old macro lens for closeups of coral, etc.

I paid ~$430 for a factory demo roughly a year ago, so you should be able to find similar, if not better prices.

If you can step up, the next best camera I'd reccomend is the Canon T1i. It's a next gen camera compared to the D40, and plays like one. It's got HD video (which is cool, but not the main purpose), great quality, fantastic low light performance, and a slew of other features.

This one is a much bigger price tag to chew on: roughly $800 when you're said and done.

I'm more of a nikon guy myself, but the new Canon T1i has made me reconsider. If I didn't have lenses and accessories I'd be switching to canon

Also, the body is important, however the lens is more important. A good lens can cost $10,000 for a professional photographer, while a flagship camera body costs in the range of 2-3,000. You should budget or at least plan on upgrading and adding lenses in the future, while the body is something you could use for years. The lenses also go from body to body. My favorite lens is at least 20 years old, meant for film SLR's.

You'll be much happier getting any DSLR over the P+S because of lens flexibility, but also if you spend $100 less on the body, and $100 more towards a new lens you'll get better results.

At any rate, as long as you go DSLR and stick with one of the major two players there will be plenty of options and you'll be on the right track.

I like it. I think you should give Ripley some acans to stomp on in the vast expanse of sea floor.

yeah right! acans are for rich folks! best she is getting is some sps that i got free :P

thats her name :) thanks hayseed :P

Lol, no problem. Has she destroyed anything lately?

nope just some macro that i stuck in there! she efen ate it! lmao all of it!

Shrimpz have to eat too u know :rolleyes:

Ripley is bad ass. :scarry:

i know but i feed her like ten pellets a day! fattening her up for thanksgiving ;)

just like to add that my xenia is attached to the false wall already! exactly as planned

muauauuauauaahhahahahahahahaa ;)

took out my SM monti. CBS kept knocking it over. i added the 5.00 back in to the budget. per the rules this is allowed. :)

I'm just not sure your threads title is obnoxious enough. Try out something different :)

ok thanks :huh: is this thread in the lounge?

took out my EE frag CBS keeps moving them! 12.00 back on da budget biches might add some more sps and lps this week a have a small orange didgi monti and a small duncan frag i want to add.

Archived