Cultivated Reef

Evilc66's Oceanic 30g Cube

evilc66

Do the contest in the middle of a GB and I'll win hands down! I was begging and pleading with CM about getting more message space because I was filling 500 PMs in a week!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skimmer and return pump will be here Tuesday. I love getting packages. It's like Christmas any time of the year :) I have also been working on my sump. It's no masterpiece, but it will work.

Ill be keeping an eye on this. Just picked up the same tank with stand on craigslist. Currently sitting empty while I figure out how to setup. These are nice looking tanks.

bonsaidarrell
Gotcha. Hasn't bee a concern on the larger overflows, but I might put some egg crate over the opening. The Glass-Holes design helps prevent most issues like that though. The inside of their overflows looks like this

The gap at the bottom stops larger snails from getting through, but still flows plenty of water.

From experience, I would recommend the egg crate. I thought it was safe, but a snail did manage to get down in and slow the flow enough to overflow the display.

blizzardscout2

I cant wait to see your new setup after the swap over. I can only hope to get my BC14 anywhere close to yours. I think the Oceanic 30g cube is an awesome tank, there is one setup in one of my LFS that is done really well.

Thanks! The BC14 has been a two year work in progress. It has done very well for me, and has been very stable other than a few small algea outbreaks. I definitely have all the great guidance at NR to thank. This was the first really forum I found, and I've never left :happy:

I got sand today and will be mixing up slat this afternoon so I can hopefully do the changeover tomorrow. Moving the corals safely is going to be a tough one. It's the manti caps that I'm somewhat worried about. The green one is huge and will be ver delicate. I have frags of it if I need. I may just frag it up and let it start growing out again in the new tank.

Evil, hijack ... for inspiration : )

No LEDs yet, but 55 to 72 bow is up and running.

post-34811-1250873883_thumb.jpg

Good luck with the coral transfer ...should be fine.

Got 20 extra gallons of water ready to go. Finished up the plumbing today, and got the sump platform built and painted yesterday. Going to try for the swap tomorrow. I might pull some of the loose corals out tonight and place them in the 40B for safe keeping until tomorrow.

evil..... Very nice set-up, those Oceanic cubes are sweet tanks! My LFS has a couple of them set-up in his store and has seahorses in them. It makes for an awesome sight, yellow and orange ponies! I'll be tagging along! ;)

This is nerve wracking. I'm starting to fill the new tank, and getting the corals off the old rock. I just hope I don't kill anything.

Everything seems to have lived overnight. My clown is now out of his corner of the tank and doesn't seem stressed at all. I'm probably most glad about that.

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

He's only a little guy. Had him for a year and a half and hasn't grown beyond 2". It's not like I don't feed him :)

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

This is the only rock I have put in so far, mainly because it was too big to fit anywhere else. The mushrooms are a little pi$$ed off though.

I'm digging the toothless overflow. From the top, you barely notice it. It's just a hole in the water. It's nice and small in the tank. It's dead silent too.

I realized after I got everything filled that I didn't take any good pictures of my sump.

DSC_0115.jpg

It's pretty simple. Drain comes in at the back left corner, up front to the skimmer, heads right to the fuge, and then back to the return pump. It's the same basic layout as the sump in my large system. Makes great use of the available space.

DSC_0116.jpg

(Don't pay attention to that thermometer. It's 3F too high. Tank is actually at 79F)

This skimmer looks like it might be a winner. It churns out some bubbles. Micro bubbles have been better today than they were when it was first fired up yesterday. We shall see how this performs in about a week.

Quiet One 2200 pump I'm not so happy with so far. Certainly doesn't live up to its name. Maybe I just don't have it isolated from the sump walls.

Archived