Cultivated Reef

Elsefailed's 40g Breeder

elsefailed

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tbhanks

7d and 180 macro on a full set of extension tubes

excuse my little knowledge about camera, what is 7d?

thanks for the comments guys

a 7d is a canon eos 7d digital slr

its not really important what body of camera i use for web size images

im sure a 3 megapixel camera body with the right lens could of done the same (the 7d is about 18 megapixels)

whats more important is the lens

im using a tamron 180 3.5 macro on a sturdy tripod with a cable release

with correct white balance and standard contrast and saturation i try to get the image as close to real life as possible

cheers

Are you still using 1 Blue+, 1 Aquablue, 1 Fiji Purple and 1 Super Actinic for bulbs?

I ask because your tank looks a lot less blue in the pics than I would expect with that bulb combo.

Hi, I really like your bulb combo! It really looks nice! I have a 6 bulb fixture, but only using 5 at the moment. I wanted to change my bulb combo to get the same color as yours, so If you had to choose one more bulb to add to your current combo, what would you use?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

update!

4720085354_24e56dc5c3_b.jpg

4719436353_d5ffd7c0db_b.jpg

4719438045_e0c1c6a179_b.jpg

4720090912_dbd140204e_b.jpg

4720089364_12b6a52377_b.jpg

i just replaced bulbs and went with

blue plus

blue special

fiji purple

blue plus

i like the added blue now! a lot more pop i would say

Hi, I really like your bulb combo! It really looks nice! I have a 6 bulb fixture, but only using 5 at the moment. I wanted to change my bulb combo to get the same color as yours, so If you had to choose one more bulb to add to your current combo, what would you use?

Thanks!

im using a tamron 180 3.5 macro on a sturdy tripod with a cable release

Seems I'm not the only fan of that lens on here after all. :P Phenomenal lens, lot of fun to work with. Funny to think that it was my first "expensive" lens. (when I bought it, they were still selling for just under $1k)

the tamron is def an OK lens. i think ill sell it because the results are very close image wise to my 70-200 with extension rings. im all about being as light as possible and the extension rings are just more convenient

• 2 weeks later...
elsefailed

huge update!

switched out the old tank for a new corner overflow drilled tank

since teh wife almost flooded the tank when i was away i decided a drilled tank was the way to go

so now i am saving electricity and hopefully have a better overall system

i took the time to organize the wires under the tank as well as replace the sand with new finer sand

the tank this time also has a painted back instead of the tint on the back so its not as shiny as before

overall i am very happy its just as loud as before if not quieter and im using less electronics

lighting wise i switched to

aqua blue plus

aqua blue special

fiji purple

aqua blue plus

now its a little bluer and pops a little more!

IMG_0577.jpg

elsefailed
huge update!

switched out the old tank for a new corner overflow drilled tank

since teh wife almost flooded the tank when i was away i decided a drilled tank was the way to go

so now i am saving electricity and hopefully have a better overall system

i took the time to organize the wires under the tank as well as replace the sand with new finer sand

the tank this time also has a painted back instead of the tint on the back so its not as shiny as before

overall i am very happy its just as loud as before if not quieter and im using less electronics

lighting wise i switched to

aqua blue plus

aqua blue special

fiji purple

aqua blue plus

now its a little bluer and pops a little more!

IMG_0577.jpg

thanks!

i actually got ride of the yellow coris wrasse (kicked up too much sand) so the fish list goes

2 x clownfish

1 x anthias

1 x mystery wrasse

1 x blue/green chromis

1 x mandarin fish

elsefailed

thanks a lot!

yeah i think that the new white sand really helps with the brightness of the tank

i feel the tank is a lot brighter now!

WorrBaller

The color in your tank is amazing! I'm truly jealous.

How would the coris kick up too much sand? I've been wanting to get one for a long time but not if they make sandstorms on a regular basis.

elsefailed

the coris wrasse is a beautiful fish and played well with all my inhabitants but if he got scared he would dive into the sand kicking up a sand storm

also he sleeps in the sand so it was bound to happen!

WorrBaller

Gotcha. So it is only an occasional thing. I think I can live with that.

I tried one before but didn't have a lid/cover and I found fish jerky in the morning.

Archived