Pod Your Reef

Elsefailed's 40g Breeder

elsefailed

thanks guys

clavius i love the 40 breeder setup not to big not to small and wide enough to get creative with it

im not saying you cant with a smaller tank

i think a smaller tank aquascaped right with just one large branchy rock or rocks rodded together would look just as great!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the nicest tanks I have seen.

Why did you start dosing Kalk? To keep your cal levels up for the sps?

thanks guys

i started dosing after a more sps experienced reefer told me that all those sps pieces wouldnt thrive unless i dose something

i still dont check parameters but everything is growing fast and has great color

Love the new rockscape. A few questions:

1. About how many lbs of live rock do you have in there, and what corals do you have growing up near the water surface? Are they exposed to air during evaporation, or do you run auto top off?

2. How do you like the LED? I'm running Metal Halide, and as much as I like the shimmer effect, the heat is tough to control on my 40b - I'd like to drop the fixture a couple inches, but the water temp averages 80F during the day as it is;

3. I may have asked this before, but what camera(s) do you use for the stills and video?

Your tank makes me want to go out and buy more corals today (and move my rockwork around, and dose Kalk, and buy a crab...)

1. About how many lbs of live rock do you have in there, and what corals do you have growing up near the water surface? Are they exposed to air during evaporation, or do you run auto top off?

not sure on the lbs maybe 40-60? they are large heavy pieces just not many

duncans, xenia, and green cap get exposed to air and i do run ato

2. How do you like the LED? I'm running Metal Halide, and as much as I like the shimmer effect, the heat is tough to control on my 40b - I'd like to drop the fixture a couple inches, but the water temp averages 80F during the day as it is;

leds are cool no heat really nice blue pop but not sure if its the best for sps

my light is a litle underpowered for sps i think

3. I may have asked this before, but what camera(s) do you use for the stills and video?

canon 7d with a lot of lens, tripods, ec etc

i feed just some free pellets i got with an order from marine depot nothing special once a day very little amount

HUGE UPDATE

taking down this tank

selling everything off except the rocks and corals

i am mving and upgrading tanks to a 75 gallon

36 x 24 x 20

i think this will help me get more creative with the rock work, add more nano fish etc etc

it will also be lit by aqua illumination leds so that should help the sps etc etc

Congrats on the upgrade - question though - are the rocks just stacked, or did you use something to hold them together? If just stacked, were you ever worried about a piece falling from the top?

C4rN4gE the rocks are stacked but they are just a few very large pieces so no worries on top pieces falling

the tall pieces are 12-16 inches tall =)

Christopher Marks havent taken it down yet

itll be up for two more weeks until i move

then im selling all the parts off etc etc

my new 100gallon 48 x 24 x 20 should be coming in soon

i cant wait to have more room the work with and more fish etc etc

i plan to have pretty much the same style of rockwork two islands one full lps zoas and acans and the other full high end sps!

maybe a schoal of chromis or other schooling fish or maybe just a bunch of nano fish to make the tank look huge

im really excited just trying to find all the funds to finish this up!

i may go for a ati powermodule for now and upgrade to ai sol super blues later

Hey elsefailed, could you tell me the bulb combo you were using when you shot these pictures? And if they are white-balanced, or non-edited?

Thanks!

Here's the pictures i was talking about:

2repf2a.jpg

and then these two:

2qareys.jpg

33ykgt4.jpg

Are all these pictures taken with the same bulb combo on? Also, i think i read somewhere back in the thread that your tank looks kind of purple before you white balance, so lets say i wanted colors like yours, but with less purple, what combo would you suggest?

Thanks dude. I can take the pictures down after you've seen them if you want me too..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi elsefailed - your 40g breeder was superb! Quick question - where did you purchase the 40g corner drilled tank that you upgraded to? That is EXACTLY what I am looking for, just don't want to do the drilling myself. THANKS!

• 2 months later...
i<3nanotanks
Hi elsefailed - your 40g breeder was superb! Quick question - where did you purchase the 40g corner drilled tank that you upgraded to? That is EXACTLY what I am looking for, just don't want to do the drilling myself. THANKS!

sweet tank! im thinking of setting up a 40 breeder :)

• 6 months later...

beautiful tank, but im following along for the macro pics. Still using the tamron macro? Ive got a canon digital rebel, and have always wanted a good macro lens to get shots like you have gotten. would you recommend the tamron?

FTS 1/20/11 (cleaned up a little and dosing kalk)

forsale-1.jpg

Simply amazing. Love the scape.

Making me contemplate about stacking rocks higher to get more open space on the sand bed.. haha.

Archived