inTank Media Baskets

Elsefailed's 40g Breeder

elsefailed

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks tigah im a great fan of your tank, its perfect! you keep the tank so clean!

tumbleweed im using ati blue plus, special, actinic, and fiji purple

i custom white balance my camera before i shoot and thats what i got, its really close maybe its a tiny bit more purple

heres a shot out of the camera before custom white balance

IMG_5811.jpg

Cool it looks great. I understand about white balance I usually shoot in RAW and edit the white balance in photoshop, but I try to maintain the tanks true color as best I can, as it looks like you do too. I'm starting to wonder if I should ditch my Current Sunpod 2x150 MH for a new t5 unit, the colors look so much better. Hows the growth with the lighting you run?

hey i wouldnt know about the growth to tell you the truth since i see it everyday it always looks the same

but the first pic i took of the tank compared to now im getting pretty good growth i guess

i really dont have anything to compare it too though

• 4 weeks later...
Curly Joe Reefer

love those acans. I had nothing but problems with mine untill a month or 2 ago. Now there really takin off and i'm looking into getting some more. Anyways, great tank as always and keep those great growth shots coming

OClownsandNanos

Love the color in the tank and the two islands look! Will be starting up my own 40 BR soon and had a question for you about your screen top - what type of plastic did you use in the back? Looks like you did a conventional screen top for most of the tank (with mesh and window frame), then somehow hooked on the black plastic with cutouts in the back to the top. Could you go into more detail re: how you did that and what materials you used? I am going sumpless and will have an AC110 fuge hanging off the back, as well as my heater and may eventually may get a skimmer too so I'd really benefit from learning exactly how you made your top.

Thanks so much for your help!

sorry i couldnt find a picture that demonstrates what i have done better maybe ill snap a shot later when i get home

what i did was because i have my tek lighting sitting on top of the tank on brackets i made a screen door top a little smaller than usual and place it on top of the bracket and the bracket holds it in place

all i have to do to get it out is slide it out for feeding!

this leaves a very small gap that no fish can get through all around the screen top but thats fine

now for the rear what i did was i used the plastic piece on back of the glass top that came with my aqueon 40b and cut out the holes for my returns etc etc

the reason for that was with the screen top only it would allow a fish to jump through the gap at the back of the tank where the returns and such are

now with this plastic piece covering the back (only allowing the returns and such to pop through) and the screen top on top of the brackets everything fits perfect and i can remove the top for feeding just by sliding it out

sorry hope i didnt confuse! but im really stoked on this setup its so easy and works well for my spot feeding purposes since the turkey baster feeder i use dosent fit through the screen top mesh!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks tigah

im sucha newb to video, video editing, and imovie!

i just completely reaquascaped the tank once things settle down ill post a new fts im excited! hopefully when the dust settles its ok

heres scape 2.0

i created a two level cave, an island, and a ledge

i think the fish like this setup more then swim all around now!

any cc or advice for rock placement welcome!! cheers

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

OClownsandNanos

Elsefailed: Thanks for the info on your tank top - I'm going to see if they sell that plastic separately from glass tops. Your screen top does sound awesome and perfect for feeding - unfortunately I have Aquactinics brackets and they don't even go over the lip, just the very ends of the tank. Perfect for sliding the light back if I want to do maintenance, but not for what you've described.

Have to say I am enamored of your (old and new) two islands aquascapes. Love the two story cave. When I get my rock, I'll be aiming for two islands also - you've definitely inspired me. What type of rock is in your tank, BTW? It seems to lend itself really well to natural looking scapes. I ordered about 25 lbs of Pukani dry rock from BRS today, but still have to get some LR - trying to figure out whether to get it from a local LFS or online.

Keep up the great work!

Archived