Cultivated Reef

Elsefailed's 40g Breeder

elsefailed

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks guys

i dont have the blue spot anymore he jumped out one night i left my screen top off

i have since then modified a new screen top area that is alot easier to move and has 100 percent coverage ( hard with over the top overflow and over the top returns )

so just one pearly, i really wanted two but im waiting to find the right mate if any hes pretty cool by himself

i readjusted the toms aqualift and moved it to hang off of the overflow instead of in the stand

this seems to have stopped the overflow from losing its siphon

i think that since the aqualift was lower than the overflow when i turned them off for feeding of whatever it would slowly siphon out the water making the utubes lose siphon

im really stoked now since this setup seems a lot better ill take a pic soon

so far hes great! he doesnt mess with my yellow corris wrasse and none of the other fish mess with him

at first he was very timid and in hiding but now hes swimming about and no one bullies him

he seems like a picky eater though or maybe still just scared, but in a sea of mysis he was very selective of whhich one he wanted!

i love his personality so far because he comes to the front of the tank whenever i come around and in general he just seems like a funny character

very expensive fish but im very happy with him

its amazing to have a tank full of mates that dont fight for once!

the only problem i have with livestock is overly large crabs stepping all over corals and trying to steal food from the duncans or dendros =)

For macros i have two setups

i have a 180 3.5 macro lens which gets really close

i also have a 70-200 macro that i put on a full set of kenko extension tubes thats a little more flexible since it zooms

most of all this is shot on a tripod with a shutter release while the pumps are off

i use a 580ex strobe on a 50d body in manual mode set with custom white balance and shooting in RAW

then i bring in the raw file to bridge and photoshop cs4 and remove dust on the sensor and try to match the colors and pop of the image as best as i can to what i see in real life

im using a 24 in color calibrated monitor on a powermac g5 for all the editing

other than that its just a waiting game really to find the right opportunity!

lately i have been trying live view mode and zooming in to get that perfect manual focus that seems to be working alright

i still cant seem to get my pictures as sharp as some of the pictures i see here and my lenses arent that bad so im wondering if i got something wrong going on =\

hey man thanks a lot tony

thanks for those frags and the live rock im stoked

theres a lot of hitchhikers man a few tiny aipstasia, a weird anemone, slugs, pods, polyps and all kinds of stuff

i added a few of those rocks to the display tank and the rest to the sump ill post pics tonight!

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

Update:

Moved the vortech to the front and dialed it down a bit

this has helped with surface agitation and has helped open the dendros up a bit

added a few smaller rocks to the DT and about 14 lbs to the sump

the added rock is crawling with hitch hikers, some good some bad

i had a few micro aipstasia on some of the new rock, ill try the cover with epoxy method again before it gets out of control

there also a few snails without shells, anemones, and palys on the new rock in the sump

added a yuma, acan, micro acan, and pink zoos any help with ID would be great!

IMG_0513.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

quick update

added jbj ato with 7 gallon reservoir

added reef octopus nwb110 instead of aqua c urchin (which already works wayyyy better)

adjusted plumbing a bit

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0808-1.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just a quick update nothing going on but growth!

also added a larger overhang cave on the right to allow more crevices for the fish to swim and hide.

added a small rainbow montipora frag as well

also wow im not sure how the store did it, the rock came that way sorry!

IMG_4528.jpg

IMG_4504.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

Archived