Pod Your Reef

Podpimp's SPS SOLANA

PODPIMP

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAYUM!

DIS TANK IS AS PIMP AS I EVA' SEENUM!

i broke my rule of no all caps, but it deserves it.

zjharva, tanks. I appreciate the caps :)

Thanks Hungriee. That's the beauty of tonga branch. I am able to utilize all heights in the water column to fit more corals.

Front to back

Blue+

Blue+

Fiji Purple

Blue+

Blue+

Ge 65k

I just added an Ice Cap Led T5 strip to the tank. OMG these blue LED's make the colors pop! It's insane. I broke my camera lens so I won't be able to get pics until next week :(

I just added an Ice Cap Led T5 strip to the tank. OMG these blue LED's make the colors pop! It's insane. I broke my camera lens so I won't be able to get pics until next week :(

Hey do you get any shimmer out of the Led T5 strip? I am getting a T5 set up for a new project, but I reaaaally enjoy the shimmer off of my halide.

I took some pics tonight of the IceCap LED strip that I added to the ATI fixture. I mounted it to the ATI using ez lock sticky pads like the ones you use to stick an ezpass to a windshield. The pop that the blue LED's give to corals is amazing.

post-33893-1267254180_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1267254262_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1267254275_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1267254282_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1267254289_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1267254303_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1267254319_thumb.jpg

Thanks reefman :)

nikeSB, even with more powerful LED's, I don't think you'll get a shimmer effect through the T5 lighting. The t5's illuminate the corals on every branch, from every angle. There are no shaded parts, and because of that there is no shimmer. I think you would need a 400w halide to start seeing a shimmer :)

thanks nemmy, I'm not sure what the last coral is called. I pick it up from a local vendor (Reefs Creation). It is the most intense florescent green acro that I have seen. It makes a green slimmer look dull in comparison. I can never get good pics of this coral. Here is a shot I borrowed from the vendor.

321.jpg

Front to back

Blue+

Blue+

Fiji Purple

Blue+

Blue+

Ge 65k

First off, WOW! Great job on the tank. :D

Any reason you run your bulbs in that order? Did you play with a bunch of combos before deciding that?

When I run T5's I usually try to keep my red bulbs in the second position or front of center and move the white bulbs out of the back. I do this so the light hits the viewing side of the corals. That is just me though. The GE really picks up the greens and yellows so I like mine more forward in the mix.

I am not saying your way is bad because it isn't. Your tank looks really good. I was just wondering if you noticed a big difference by putting the GE in the back.

Thanks rtparty!

I put the bulbs in this order to help bring out the colors of each particular coral underneath them. I also wanted to keep two blues on for the 2 bulb configuration(This is the 1st and 4th bulb on the ATI fixture). This left me 2 options, run the bulb 3rd in sequence (washed out colors), or run last and make the birdsnest look more pink :). The first pic of this thread from Fed 26th is actually only with 4 bulbs on (2 B+, 1 FJ purple, 1 GE65k). IMO the ge65k brings a little more natural look. I tried replacing it with an AB special but the tank was overly blue in my eyes and that bulb washes colors out IMO. I needed the hint of yellow in the spectrum :)

Thanks rtparty!

I put the bulbs in this order to help bring out the colors of each particular coral underneath them. I also wanted to keep two blues on for the 2 bulb configuration(This is the 1st and 4th bulb on the ATI fixture). This left me 2 options, run the bulb 3rd in sequence (washed out colors), or run last and make the birdsnest look more pink :). The first pic of this thread from Fed 26th is actually only with 4 bulbs on (2 B+, 1 FJ purple, 1 GE65k). IMO the ge65k brings a little more natural look. I tried replacing it with an AB special but the tank was overly blue in my eyes and that bulb washes colors out IMO. I needed the hint of yellow in the spectrum :)

Thanks for the quick reply. Makes perfect sense.

I actually have a 4 bulb ATI coming this week and am going to run 2 B+, 1 KZ FP and 1 GE 6500. I think it will be a little white for me but I also have 2 PAR38 LED bulbs on order in the 20k color. That way they will add the blue I want also.

I really like how sleek the LED's look. I might just have to look into those for night time stuff.

I think you'll love that combo, especially since you're adding the LED's. Post a pic when you get it all setup.

Thanks drakkor. This tank is a result of someone with too much time on their hands :D

NemoNibs, you can't see a difference from the LED strip when the T5's are on. It's strictly serves as a night viewing light. I don't leave it on all night though because it is strong enough that the SPS sense light. Usually when the lights are totally off the SPS will get VERY fuzzy. With the T5 strip they don't extend all the way as they do in the dark.

Archived