SaltCritters.com

Podpimp's SPS SOLANA

PODPIMP

I think my tank is doing really well with the MP10. I'm usually pro flow but I can't see me having more flow in the vortech streams path. If you run the MP20 on the short pulse mode, how is the flow in a solana?

It's AMAZING! -_-

B)

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm....I don't know. I get the sand kicked up on the other side of the tank with the MP10 and I like the smaller profile. I will borrow my buddies mp20 and see what you guys are talking about :)

+1, and mine is in a 20 gallon high. Although, my sand bed is not sugar fine.

Mine isn't either... That's probably a big factor!

B)

Hey? What made you choose short pulse over reef crest? This tank is awesome. I can't wait for this bad boy to fully grow out.

Hey? What made you choose short pulse over reef crest? This tank is awesome. I can't wait for this bad boy to fully grow out.

Thanks :D I like the wave effect from the pulse mode. It makes the SPS polyps sway and frees up mucus if the corals become stressed or exposed to the air (water changes).

• 3 weeks later...
:o:bowdown::o:bowdown:

Truely amazing... As always!!!

B)

Thanks David :) Everything is on cruise control right now. I dose, feed the fish, clean the skimmer, and do bi-monthly WC's. I can actually enjoy looking at it now without thinking something is out of place..LOL :)

Tank looks amazing Rich ... You think the corals are enjoying short pulse/wave mode on the vortech?

I have been playing around quite a bit with mine ... now that I have two of them. I like the flow from the reefcrest and lagoon modes so far. Being this tank is nearly 11 years old ... I am not too comfortable creating a big a$$ wave in there. lol.

Yeah I think they like the pulse flow. I see the polyps move back and forth. This type of flow is pretty effective at keeping the SPS free of detritus and those slimy filaments (forgot what you call them, starts with M) :D

BTA65, thanks bro :) I'm glad you like it :)

LebaneseDlight

Beautiful scaping. Your FTS just confirms to me that I have 2 times the live rock I need in my Solana. UGH! Why couldn't I have seen this tank a year and a half ago!

Why couldn't I have seen this tank a year and a half ago!

Because it's only been up since august :)

I like the idea of having a lot of rock because IMO it helps keep the tank stable, but I like the way the scape looks with less rock though. If I had a sump i would love to have a fuge with some rock added to this system. if I had that i would have probably never had to deal with a hair algae outbreak a short while ago.

If you could somehow make your scape look more open with more rock I think you would be better off. Perhaps if your rock doesn't touch on any sides it will make it seem more open.

Nemo Nibs to answer your question, NO! The SPS close to the glass even grow on their undersides due to the reflection :) I had a 250w on here and the T5 fixture is overall brighter (except for directly under the halide) and I get better, fuller growth.

Nemo Nibs to answer your question, NO! The SPS close to the glass even grow on their undersides due to the reflection :) I had a 250w on here and the T5 fixture is overall brighter (except for directly under the halide) and I get better, fuller growth.

So... Would you go with a 4x24w TEK fixture or a 250w Sunpod?

I can't afford better T5s, that's all I can work with.

That's a tough question. Tek is a good fixture from what I hear but I'm not sure how the output of the 4x24" fixture is since I never used it.

I know the 250w works well since I had one on this tank and my aquapod for 2 years. I will search around and see if I can find any SPS nanos using a 4 bulb tek fixtures

That's a tough question. Tek is a good fixture from what I hear but I'm not sure how the output of the 4x24" fixture is since I never used it.

I know the 250w works well since I had one on this tank and my aquapod for 2 years. I will search around and see if I can find any SPS nanos using a 4 bulb tek fixtures

Did you have heat issues? I'll run a pretty poweful fan under the 250w if I use it.

BEEE U TI FUL!!!!!! I AM SOOO jealous of the sps!!! Im just starting with sps, and am loving them so far. My question is I have the Outer Orbit 150wmh + 4-24w T5s, I have the phoenix 14k MH, and have ordered 2 ATI Blue +, 1 ATI aquablue special, and 1 fiji purple. I currently am using Geismann 2 pure actinic, and 2 actinic +. The tank right now looks a little washed out. The greens look kinda pale,as do reds, while yellows and oranges pop some. I am hoping the new t5s will change that. BUt now im concerned that I may have TOO much PAR with the new lamps? The new T5s have a much higher PAR tahn what im using now. Do you think it will be too bright? I just bought a new scoly and noticed that it had shrunk in size over the last couple days. I was told maybe the light was too bright, and I already had it near the bottom?

I would love any advice???

BEEE U TI FUL!!!!!! I AM SOOO jealous of the sps!!! Im just starting with sps, and am loving them so far. My question is I have the Outer Orbit 150wmh + 4-24w T5s, I have the phoenix 14k MH, and have ordered 2 ATI Blue +, 1 ATI aquablue special, and 1 fiji purple. I currently am using Geismann 2 pure actinic, and 2 actinic +. The tank right now looks a little washed out. The greens look kinda pale,as do reds, while yellows and oranges pop some. I am hoping the new t5s will change that. BUt now im concerned that I may have TOO much PAR with the new lamps? The new T5s have a much higher PAR tahn what im using now. Do you think it will be too bright? I just bought a new scoly and noticed that it had shrunk in size over the last couple days. I was told maybe the light was too bright, and I already had it near the bottom?

I would love any advice???

Thank You for the compliment Shaun.

I would use 3 blue+ and 1 fiji purple with a phoenix or at least add a fiji purple in with the bluer T5 bulbs that you have. It will help bring out some colors.

From what you're telling me I don't think the bulb choice is your issue. It sounds like it could be a combination of a lack of acclimation or possibly a ULNL syndrome (Ultra Low Nutrient Level). No big problem to fix either way. As for the scoly, they don't like a sudden increase in light. I had acclimation with my scoly when I upgraded lights. Just move it into a more shaded area and feed it at night. In a few weeks you should be able to pull into out into bright light. Be sure to feed it at night if you see it shrivel in the day

Do you have a full tank shot that you could post?

How long is your photoperiod?

Do you run GFO like phosban?

Are most your SPS colors pastel?

Are your phosphates detectable? If so on which testkit?

Archived