Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

I remember reading your thread on your 30g back in '04, haha..

This is a very slick build, awesome looking tank, nice equipment.

In regards to not having a background, I have an article in an aquarium magazine that goes into details on how darker backgrounds may deprive reef tanks of some light (I haven't read the full article yet but that's the gist of it..) So I'll be interested in how no background looks. Also, have you considered a white or cream coloured background (similar to the wall behind) I'd think a lighter colour would reflect more light back into the tank.

Daniel

Hey Daniel. Good seeing a familiar fellow'04 reefer. :)

That theory makes sense to me. The tanks I've had without backgrounds have appeared "brighter" inside the tank, but I don't have any concrete data to back that up.

I think a white-ish color background is definitely a cool idea.

Tigah,

How you you like the vortech mp40? Do you think you could have gone with the mp20?

Ron

I am very satisfied with my mp40. I have it almost at max, and for my size/length tank, it's perfect. I think it's worth it to get the mp40 over the mp20. B/c the mp40 has great flow, I've actually recently reduced the flow up to my display and the overall set-up is VERY quiet.

I think it looks much better on the back of the fixture. The moon looks more dramatic from that angle.

Coming along very nicely!

I am definitely torn b/t the placements. The back-mounted position definitely is more dramatic, but I'd like to see how my corals will look towards the front bottom with that position. I may have to wait til I start stocking this tank before making a decision on placement of my moonlights.

reeferbarra20

Hey Tigah, its been a while.. Glad to see you back in the hobby. I've been out for about 2 years myself. Tanks looking good, when are you gettin some corals in there??

Coming along nicely! Cant wait for corals!

Thanks. I'm dying to add some corals myself.

Hey Tigah, its been a while.. Glad to see you back in the hobby. I've been out for about 2 years myself. Tanks looking good, when are you gettin some corals in there??

Hey reeferbarra20. Long time indeed. Time to get back in. :)

Yes, I'm sure y'all are getting tired of staring at an empty tank. But I haven't had a full set-up shot in awhile. So here it is...

Tank67.jpg

Thanks. I measured my sump area, and I really don't have much space in my sump for a larger skimmer. Due to space constraints (I just can't fit any of the great skimmers you mentioned previously), I am still leaning towards the Tunze (probably 9010).

lakshwadeep
If only tanks would stay that clean. :lol:

Someone should make a roomba-like magnet scraper. Then the glass would always be clean! :lol:

Thanks. I measured my sump area, and I really don't have much space in my sump for a larger skimmer. Due to space constraints (I just can't fit any of the great skimmers you mentioned previously), I am still leaning towards the Tunze (probably 9010).

What are the dimensions of the available space?

HOLLY DAYME looks amazingggg,

i like the clean look i whis my tank was that clean are u going to keep it without a background? i realllly like it without one it makes it look more clean lol,

ha i just took the background off my 5.5 to see if it looks nicer and it does :)

Setup is looking great!

I vote moon light on the back. It looks too much like just any old actinic with it on the front. The point of the moonlight IMO is to just highlight stuff, not light the whole tank. I think the rear mount could create some dramatic silhouettes.

If only tanks would stay that clean. :lol:

Indeed. I generally try my best to keep my tanks as clean as possible, but I won't have as much time to do so this time around.

Someone should make a roomba-like magnet scraper. Then the glass would always be clean! :lol:

I'd buy that!

What are the dimensions of the available space?

9" x 7" would the be max I could squeeze in comfortably. I'd have to replumb to fit more than that.

HOLLY DAYME looks amazingggg,

i like the clean look i whis my tank was that clean are u going to keep it without a background? i realllly like it without one it makes it look more clean lol,

ha i just took the background off my 5.5 to see if it looks nicer and it does :)

Yes, my intention is to keep this tank without a background. It does look "cleaner."

I vote moon light on the back. It looks too much like just any old actinic with it on the front. The point of the moonlight IMO is to just highlight stuff, not light the whole tank. I think the rear mount could create some dramatic silhouettes.

I agree with you.

Set-up my ATO. I connected a line direct from my ro/di filter to a reservoir (cheap plastic tub) via float valve, then connected an MJ1200 from the reservoir to my sump via vinyl tubing and pvc.

Tank68.jpg

Float switch is from autotopoff.com.

Tank69.jpg

Drilled holes in end cap to make snail guard.

Tank70-1.jpg

Plumbing for the MJ1200.

Tank71.jpg

Tank72.jpg

Done. Works great!

Tank73.jpg

And I think I'm going to modify my return line plumbing so I can fit a larger skimmer. :) I'll work on it over the weekend.

Needreefunds

Looks great!

Nice, clean work- as usual B)

Sweet!

Think I may add the snail guard mod to my setup.

Thanks for the idea ;)

Edited by Needreefunds
9" x 7" would the be max I could squeeze in comfortably. I'd have to replumb to fit more than that.

Tough dimensions.

I can think of a few things...

Tunze 9010 (as you have mentioned - could pick one up used pretty easily)

Tunze 9410 Skimmer. ($390. Slightly longer than 9", but cleaning the skimmer body might be easier, and performance might exceed 9010. I'd ask Roger at Tunze USA. The Tunze hydrofoamer pump on these things is a monster - air needs to be clamped a bit on this body IIRC).

MRC Ocean Force 100 (Their published footprint is wrong, but I think it is 7"x7")

ATB Multi-Use Skimmer (6" x 9" - $650) Baller choice; too bad they are not selling for $499 as originally priced ;(

---

I just broke in a Euro-Reef 3.5" dual-pump (alloy mesh) nano skimmer that I just bought for my 55g. That would be ~ 4.5" x 9" footprint, but hangs and needs >12" of water depth (my sump happens to accommodate this). I'll post my findings if there is any interest.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Just read the thread about how we lost all our posts for the last 2 weeks. Oh well, it happens. Time to repost my photos. :)

So here's my equipment updates for the past 2 weeks or so...

So shortly after my June 30, 2009 post I re-did my plumbing to make more room in my sump for a skimmer. I effectively increased the space from 7"x9" to 8"x10".

Tank75.jpg

So I picked up a Reef Octopus Extreme 160. It's been running for a little over a week now.

Tank76.jpg

Tank82.jpg

Also mounted by LED moonlights to the back of my light fixture.

Tank74.jpg

Tank84.jpg

As of yesterday, I finally found a clip-on fan for evaporative cooling. It's been super hot this past week, so the fan is offering some great relief. My temp went from 84 degrees to a constant 80 (my heater kicks in at that point).

Tank95.jpg

Edited by Tigahboy

With respect to my Clean Up Crew, I placed a large Reef Cleaners order to save some money and got 100 Astreas, 12 Tegulas, 12 Nassarius vibex, and 12 Ceriths. I quickly sold off most of them. Now I have about 20 Astreas (still would like to sell off about 10), 6 Tegulas, 10 Nassarius Vibex, and 10 Ceriths.

Here is the photo of my 100 Astreas right out of the shipping box.

Tank87.jpg

Here are some before and after photos of my tank. By this time I was in full brown diatom bloom. The CUC army totally cleaned my tank within 3 days.

Before.

Tank88.jpg

After.

Tank89.jpg

Before.

Tank85-1.jpg

After.

Tank92.jpg

Paleoreef103

Nice! Looks great. When do you start with livestock? Well more than your shrimp and didn't you get a pair of rods clowns?

post-40807-1246467338_thumb.jpg

With respect to livestock, I added a cleaner shrimp the same day I purchased my Reef Octopus Extreme on July 3rd.

Tank77.jpg

Tank78.jpg

I recently also purchased Reef Rod's Onyx Clownfish from premiumaquatics. They are small juvies, but they are eating like pigs and doing great!

Tank91.jpg

Tank90.jpg

Tank94.jpg

Tank93.jpg

OK. That pretty much gets everyone back up to speed. :) Now I gotta get to work. Later!

Nice! Looks great. When do you start with livestock? Well more than your shrimp and didn't you get a pair of rods clowns?

Thanks! I believe I added the Rod's Reef Onyx back on July 8th.

Oh, and I forgot. I have videos!

Moonlight shimmer vid.

Onyx clownfish vid.