Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

On 1/23/2019 at 3:06 AM, Tigahboy said:

Nice to hear from you as well @d'Espresso!  Hope all is well.  

Just created this account a couple nights ago and was surprised to see this thread active as recently as a month ago 😱

sup Tigah! Back in 2005 when i was a 12 year old youngin on an embarrassing old account named Qwertyuiop, your tanks were an inspiration. Would love to see what you could do with a reef nowadays 😛 

ahhh the good ol’ days 😂

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Reefnectar said:

Just created this account a couple nights ago and was surprised to see this thread active as recently as a month ago 😱

sup Tigah! Back in 2005 when i was a 12 year old youngin on an embarrassing old account named Qwertyuiop, your tanks were an inspiration. Would love to see what you could do with a reef nowadays 😛 

ahhh the good ol’ days 😂

Nice to hear from you.  Tigahboy is still my embarrassing old account. 😂  Maybe I should start fresh with a new account as well.  

I'm in planning phase for my next nano reef tank.  So hopefully will be back in the swing of things soon.  

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
51 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I'm in planning phase for my next nano reef tank.  So hopefully will be back in the swing of things soon.  

Woohoo! 👏

Share some ideas if you need any help deciding 🙂 

7 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Nice to hear from you.  Tigahboy is still my embarrassing old account. 😂  Maybe I should start fresh with a new account as well.  

DON'T CHANG YER NAME!!!! 

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Woohoo! 👏

Share some ideas if you need any help deciding 🙂 

I'm kind of all over the place right now.  Probably glass (so a departure from my tendency to lean acrylic), debating whether to ditch the sump (and maybe skimmer)/keep it more low-tech/AIO (again a departure for me), and still torn between 10g or 20g (or somewhere inbetween).  I really like the UNS tanks and can get those easily here in socal, but none of the dimensions really call to me at the moment.  

Need to figure out tank first, then will move on to stand, lights and equipment.  But I want to keep 1 or 2 ocellaris for my son and the rest of the stocking plans are still TBD.

3 hours ago, Jim_i said:

DON'T CHANG YER NAME!!!! 

How about changing it to Tigahman at the very least?  I'm an old man now.  lol.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I'm kind of all over the place right now.  Probably glass (so a departure from my tendency to lean acrylic), debating whether to ditch the sump (and maybe skimmer)/keep it more low-tech/AIO (again a departure for me), and still torn between 10g or 20g (or somewhere inbetween).  I really like the UNS tanks and can get those easily here in socal, but none of the dimensions really call to me at the moment.  

Need to figure out tank first, then will move on to stand, lights and equipment.  But I want to keep 1 or 2 ocellaris for my son and the rest of the stocking plans are still TBD.

How about changing it to Tigahman at the very least?  I'm an old man now.  lol.

Hmmm, I am against this although I understand your reasoning.  Maybe just put a mustache on your Profile pic....

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Jim_i said:

Hmmm, I am against this although I understand your reasoning.  Maybe just put a mustache on your Profile pic....

LOL.  Not a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

New custom tank, stand, and lights (thanks, @DaveFason!) all ordered now!  Now the long wait (tank and stand projected to be done 3 weeks from yesterday).  Le sigh.

Slowly acquiring other equipment/parts as well, literally the only thing I had left from the old days was my refractometer.  

Given all the options out there now in terms of equipment and gadgets, I find myself having constant decision paralysis every step of the way (from heaters to pumps to skimmers, you name it).  This may be a slow, slow build.  

• Like 4
Christopher Marks
32 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

This may be a slow, slow build.

Us old timers need to go slow... lots to catch up on after all these years! 👴 😄 

That's exciting to hear it's all on order now! Waiting is the hardest part, but I'm sure you'll fill it with more decision paralysis haha! I had to start with a pico jar because it had the least amount of choices, but you wouldn't believe how much time I fussed over picking out an air pump for it 😅

What style of tank and stand did you go for?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Us old timers need to go slow... lots to catch up on after all these years! 👴 😄 

That's exciting to hear it's all on order now! Waiting is the hardest part, but I'm sure you'll fill it with more decision paralysis haha! I had to start with a pico jar because it had the least amount of choices, but you wouldn't believe how much time I fussed over picking out an air pump for it 😅

What style of tank and stand did you go for?

Yeah!  Hard to keep up with all these youngsters.  Haha.

Honestly, still have second thoughts about my design for the tank and stand (couldn't pull the trigger on that decision easily as well), but oh well.  It's done and I'll just live with it.  :)

20g low iron glass/Starphire with white stand.  I'll put more details with stocking plans in a separate thread once I actually get the tank and stand in hand.   :) 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yeah!  Hard to keep up with all these youngsters.  Haha.

Honestly, still have second thoughts about my design for the tank and stand (couldn't pull the trigger on that decision easily as well), but oh well.  It's done and I'll just live with it.  🙂

20g low iron glass/Starphire with white stand.  I'll put more details with stocking plans in a separate thread once I actually get the tank and stand in hand.   🙂 

Sounds good dude,cant wait to see it!🤙

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Sounds good dude,cant wait to see it!🤙

👍  And thanks for creating/posting the BTA care thread!  That was very helpful for me while I was planning my new  build.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

👍  And thanks for creating/posting the BTA care thread!  That was very helpful for me while I was planning my new  build.

Youre welcome man,glad its been of some use for you. Drop a line if ya got questions ya dig?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Reefnectar said:

Oooooh exciting! You doing t5, LED or hybrid? Any ideas about stocking? 

LEDs from Nanobox.  My first time doing LEDs actually, so excited to try them.

Except for a pair of clownfish (which is a must for my kid), rest of the stocking plans are TBD (though I do have some ideas floating around in my head).  But I want to keep things as clean and minimalist as possible.  

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

LEDs from Nanobox.  My first time doing LEDs actually, so excited to try them.

Except for a pair of clownfish (which is a must for my kid), rest of the stocking plans are TBD (though I do have some ideas floating around in my head).  But I want to keep things as clean and minimalist as possible.  

Seeing as your plans went from a goldfish tank to this, im gonna go out on a limb and say im excited to see you fill this nano to the brim with high end pieces and whatever your next reef will be too 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Reefnectar said:

Seeing as your plans went from a goldfish tank to this, im gonna go out on a limb and say im excited to see you fill this nano to the brim with high end pieces and whatever your next reef will be too 😛 

We will see.  Forgot how expensive this hobby is.  By the time I'm done with cycling the tank, I may only be able to afford 1 GSP frag with what's left in my budget.  😂

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

We will see.  Forgot how expensive this hobby is.  By the time I'm done with cycling the tank, I may only be able to afford 1 GSP frag with what's left in my budget.  😂

Id love to send you some pieces once i get over the fear of shipping corals! Would be happy to put some color towards your dive back into the hobby 🙂 

• Thanks 1
Just now, Reefnectar said:

Id love to send you some pieces once i get over the fear of shipping corals! Would be happy to put some color towards your dive back into the hobby 🙂 

Thanks! That's really nice of you.  We are still talking about GSP right?  Haha.