Top Shelf Aquatics

Steely's 20H version 2 (new pics)

steely185

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice pics, but no FTS?

Last FTS was at the bottom of last page. Nothing new to take. I have two new corals but gotta figure where to put them.

I picked up a nice piece of Atlantis (The local Atlantis Aquariums) Blue Acro (second pic from the end) and about a 4-5" piece of purple montipora cap. I need to figure where to put both pieces. I will be switching the 40 over to halides in the next couple of days and may move them to that tank. I would ideally like to place the cap on a frag mag but I think it may be a little hard to do.

Picked up a nice size purple montipora cap for free. I need to pick which tank to put it in now. I'm leaning towards the 40 if I can mount it on a frag mag.

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Close call tonight. The legs to my sunpod broke and one side of the sunpod fell in the tank. It kicked the circuit on the outlet. Lucky not to have lost anything or have any ill effects. The sunpod fell in on the side with the switch so I had to dry it out with a fan for about 4 hours. The ballast stayed nice and dry. The bulb did get a bit wet and I don't trust using it anymore. It will fire up but I'm worried about the bulb exploding so I will probably go ahead and replace it. I have other bulbs laying around in the mean time. I will have to get some new legs for the light in the coming week . I have my old TEK fixture from my breeder on top of the tank for now.

holy crap, dude. legs just broke??

the legs on my light are very suspect -- beth just asked the other day what the odds were that, even if one broke, it could fall in the tank. i was like 'nooo.... that couldn't happen....'

i am going to make some "fixture hanging poles" out of some electrical conduit from lowe's when i get a few free hours. that's scary.

I had moved the fixture back a bit and the legs broke where the attach to the fixture. The have a kind of tooth that slides in side a rail on the fixture. That tooth is what has slowly bent over time and finally snapped when moving the fixture.

I had moved the fixture back a bit and the legs broke where the attach to the fixture. The have a kind of tooth that slides in side a rail on the fixture. That tooth is what has slowly bent over time and finally snapped when moving the fixture.

absolutely terrifying. that could've been a serious tragedy. glad to hear things seem at least not dead/broken/burned to the ground/etc.!

Well the tank is now running with the sunpod again. I managed to pick up a set of legs from a nova extreme pro and they work fine. I also picked up a tunze osmolator for this tank and plan to start adding kalk. Interested to see how much growth increases with the addition of kalk on this tank. Heading out of town for 4 days so I am only running the lights for about 2 hours a day. The fan on the sunpod only works for a bit and it heats up the fixture. I want to make sure nothing bad happens while I'm away so I want to keep the light period very limited.

Here are a few pics from right before the light fell in the tank. No change any corals though.

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

The tank did well on a 2 hour light schedule over the weekend. The fixture is doing fine with the fan going out for long periods of time. Only bonus from doing this was that what little algae was present died off. Hooked up the ATO and started using kalk on this tank now. Doesn't really need it but I want to see if things get even better with it.

I went ahead and ordered a phoenix bulb to replace the ushio that got wet. I don't trust using the bulb fearing it is damaged and may explode. I also picked up a reefkeeper lite mainly for temp control and timer capabilities. Now both tanks should be pretty well automated.

Arkayology

RKL? Very nice. The tank is looking really good. Any future plans you would like to share?

Also, how much Ca are your SPS sucking up? I am curious as I want to compare my tank to yours.

Not much for future plans with this tank. I'm picking up a tyree undata and leng sy cap that I will put in either this tank or my 40. My 40 tends to be my better tank. This tank is pretty easy. I haven't really checked my Ca in quite a while to be honest. Both my tanks sit at 400-420 usually. My SPS don't suck up near the calcium that my clams do in my 40 so I don't usually test.

So I picked up a frag of tyree undata and a tyree flower petal cap at the meet. I also managed to purchase earlier in a nice chalice and piece of ORA plum crazy.

New chalice

IMG_0522.jpg

FTS

IMG_0521.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the host's tank

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

insane amount of monti's

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

latest additions:

tyree undata, tyree flower petal cap, ORA wooly green, ORA hawkins echinata, ORA plum crazy,

ORA blue voodo, ORA plum crazy, and a red chalice

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

New FTS and new pics.

Added ORA acorpora nana and ORA verde

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

tenuis coloring up nicely

IMG_0567.jpg

stunner

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Well since the light took a dive in the tank the fan hasn't been working. The tank temps have been soaring lately as high as 85 with no problems but to close for comfort. I went ahead and picked up a small clip on fan and mounted it behind the tank to a L bracket used for bracing. I hooked up to the RKL and it is working nicely. Since adding it the tank temps haven't got much above 81 which is the set point.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Tank is doing well but has been running a little warm lately but not bad considering it's in a garage and it's 98 outside. Frags have healed up well and looking good. Only one new frag. I scored a really nice frag of setosa that is a good size. I'll try and post some pics soon.

taste the rainbow

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

shroom divided

IMG_0636.jpg

sunset

IMG_0632.jpg

tyree undata healed and polyps popping up, slowly coloring up

IMG_0634.jpg

new setosa frag

IMG_0635.jpg