Pod Your Reef

Steely's 20H version 2 (new pics)

steely185

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick update on the tank. I've seen a little loss in color on a few SPS (i.e. lighter greens appearing a bit more yellow in color). I did some testing and all params including mag are well in check. Temps may be a little higher of late (~82 from time to time) and may have contributed to some loss in color but I'm not as concerned with this issue. Temp issue should be helped greatly by the move to the new tank. The new tank will be using a 6 bulb t5 fixture (arrives monday :D ) rather than MH and this should help some of the heating issues.

One thing I have just started doing is added amino acids to the tank. I've begun using FUEL by Sea Chem's aqua vitro line of products. I hope to see some improvement especially since I do not dose anything or feed anything other than the fish in the tank. I think this should help to get some growth going and colors popping.

Lastly the 40 is near completion. I will have the sump done this weekend and the light fixture arriving monday. I bought the 6 bulb tek fixture from ReefGeek.com and went with the following bulb combo:

3 ATI Blue Plus

2 ATI aquablue special

1 KZ fiji purple.

Looking forward to seeing this color combo in person.

you're from Richmond? that's where I am.

where do you go for livestock/equipment? Atlantis Aquariums at the intersection of Patterson/Gaskins is the best I've found around here. Also been to Fish World on Midlothian Tnpk, which I like and has an impressive variety, but does not seem to maintain the tanks as well as Atlantis.

I do go to both but prefer Atlantis for the frags available. Best place is with the Richmond Reef Club for trades/purchases. You can't find better deals than the club.

FUEL is apparently working pretty well. I have seen some good polyp extension using this twice a week (3 doses so far). I have noticed an increase in calcium while using this with no effect on kH. My garf bonsai has been slightly shaded by a powerhead lately but since using FUEL I have noticed some deeper purple in the tips that are more exposed to light in the past week. Not sure if this was a light issue or feeding issue that helped. I have since moved a few frags to get the bonsai more light. A few new additions of late were a mini colony of blue tort and a ORA Purple with green polyps frag (my guess is bonsai with an ORA name but pretty none the less).

I've had a few zoa eating nudi's that I've been killing off lately. I gave a fresh water dip with a coral dip to follow and it appears to be working well. I've patted down with paper towels to try and remove any eggs as well. All zoa frags but one have been bouncing back nicely.

Last bit of news. I took a look at my tank after dinner Sunday night and noticed it was cloudy. Upon inspection I noticed my astrea snails bunched together at the surface of the water releasing the milk of life into the tank. Hopefully this will equal a good meal for the corals.

Lights came in yesterday for the 40. I tested it out over the twenty and it was bright. I may have to swap out an Aquablue special for something bluer or other. Thinking of a 75/25 UVL or an ATI pro color (not blue) to see if I can quite get the pop I want.

• 3 weeks later...

New rock to be added to the 40 is almost done cycling. I'm really looking forward to moving it to the breeder and move a few less desirable pieces to the 20. Once this is done I have quite a few frags to move to the twenty to grow out and frag.

New rock for the 40, pre algae covered state.

09-18.jpg

09-1-8.jpg

09-3-8.jpg

This was some nice rock from bulk reef supply. I will definately do business with them again in the future.

New rock and old 20 are done cycling. Just need to get some cleaners in to trim down that hair algae that has developed. Once that's done it's on to rescape the 40.

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to post some new pics of the frag tank. I moved almost all my zoas to the 20 with some frags that were already there. I had a lot zoas that just wouldn't open or bleached out under the tek fixture in the 40. I will let them recover in the 20 for now and will decide where to go with them from there. I'll post some new pics of the start of the recovery after I get off of work today.

• 2 months later...

I've cleared a lot of the frags out of this tank and have ordered some more dry rock from BRS. I'm thinking of making this tank a zoa garden or something and still keep some frags in it.

I may be trading some frags for another drilled 20h with stand and a 10 gallon baffled sump. 3 or 4 frags for a tank and stand isn't a bad deal. If this happens I'll cycle the rock in that tank before eventually moving everything to that tank. The sump and having everything drilled will give me some flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Well sometime next week I think I will add my new rock to the 20. I think I will make it a zoa tank with some misc. sps. The rock has been sitting in a brute with a heater and skimmer running for the last two weeks.

I've been looking around a bit for a mp10 for this tank as well. Been waiting for the right deal to come up and I will probably act on it. There's a k3 and a k2 running in the 20 for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the new rock is in the tank and now I just need to figure what to do with this tank. I have plenty of zoas to move over (~20-30 varieties) but not sure I just want all zoas in there. Any suggestions?

I still need to work on the rock a bit since it's not that appealing right now. I like a little bit of sand bed but plenty of places to mount coral.

• 2 weeks later...

Long overdue update. Moved all but three types of zoas over to the twenty. Still moving some things and letting some zoas adjust to the lower lighting. T5s fried a few and really killed the colors not to mention shrunk them.

Tank still needs some adjusting and needs some peppermint shrimp to clean up some aptasia.

DSCN1057.jpg

54e49a6b.jpg

732c4cd6.jpg

b9da7d8b.jpg

2845d62f.jpg

42c427ed.jpg

Added a bit of sand to the right side of the tank yesterday to even out the sand bed. I also picked up a new bulb off the site. I'll be changing to a Radium 20K from the Current 14K which is in the fixture now. It was a good deal and I've been wanting to try a 20K bulb for a while but didn't feel like dishing out 80 bucks for one.

I broke down and ordered an mp10 today. I want to free up tank space (less pumps more viewing area). With the new pump and new radium bulb (assuming I'm lucky and it works for my sunpod, fingers crossed) this should help to start getting this tank back in shape. I need to catch it up with my breeder.

Excited about getting this project going again. I've missed some of my zoas and stuff. Almost makes me want to switch back to halides again. Looking forward to getting the mp10 on Thursday. Moved a few more corals back over to the tank this afternoon and attached a few frags. I'll take some new pics after the new pump gets here and the corals adjust to being moved.

Love the 20H! I've got one cycling right now and am watching how yours progresses. You mentioned frying them with T5's. I've got 4x24 on mine - you think that's too much? Just thinking softies and mushrooms for the most part - maybe 1-2 SPS down the road.

I wouldn't be too concerned with frying your corals with a 4 x24. You should be fine. My zoas got fried in my 40 breeder. The tank has the same height but has 6 x 39 watt T5s running (all high PAR levels) with individual reflectors. The light is very intense so they had trouble adjusting over time. They eventually got use to the light.

Everything started in this tank and moved to my breeder. Now both are running again.

MP10 and radium bulb arrived today. Radium 20K bulb fires in my sunpod but is whiter than my 14K bulb. Guess it really needs to break in for about 100 hours before getting blue. I have mixed reviews on the mp10 for now. At full speed I see movement on sps polyps but not much for surface movement but this may just be the wider flow. I may need to play with it a bit. I like the footprint in the tank though and it allows more light in more areas.

I'll need to let the bulb break in and get used to the pump. I'll post some pics once everything adjusts.

Well the new radium bulb isn't exactly firing for me so I will have to sell it. Didn't get lucky with my sunpod and a radium so I will be on the search for a new 20k bulb. The mp10 is doing better and everything in the tank seems to like it. It's growing on me. I love all the extra room in the tank and more light in the tank.

Archived