Coral Vue Hydros

Steely's 20H version 2 (new pics)

steely185

Justed wanted to put a little teaser out there. I'll post some pics shortly of what a bargain $50 bucks can buy you.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to pick up the following off a local reefer moving this week. He parted out and I picked up a 9 lb rock filled with a zoa colony in excess of ~150 polyps, some green palys(~10 polyps), kenya tree, red metallic mushrooms, and a seperate rock of green metallic mushrooms. The zoas have maroon skirts with a starburst yellow and green center. I picked all this up for 50 bucks.

In contrast I paid 30 bucks at the LFS and picked up a frag of ~15 polyps of zoas. These zoas have gold skirts with neon orange and purple centers.

Here are the pics so let me know what you think. Please keep in mind not all of the colony was open during the pics.

DSCN0411.jpg

DSCN0414.jpg

09-1-1.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

The $30 frag from the LFS:

DSCN0412.jpg

I need a better camera for better color representation.

i think those green palys are nuclear greens which are worth 50 dollars for just three polyps and the mushies are probaly worth 60 alone huge score for u plus i hate u. :P

i dont see any green palys... but i do see green mushrooms...

There's a few green paly's on the side and near the top of the rock. No nuclear greens from what I have seen.

Here's a pic of the zoa colony fully opened. The pic also shows the paly colony next to it. I only have a few of the paly's on my rock. Those paly's are hunter green in my tank under the MH. The original owner's tank was under T5's.

09-2-1.jpg

Well the large colony of zoas are Ring of Fire zoas (edit: from what I've seen on coralpedia, if anyone else has any better IDs let me know :huh: ). The other zoa frags appear to be eagle eyes (coralpedia pics).

In other news I am picking up a mated pair of maroons tonight for $30. He's throwing in 2 free blue chromis which I will trade in at the LFS for store credit. I may trade in the clowns as well depending on the size. I should make out ok under any circumstances.

For the low low price of $30 I picked up a mated pair of maroon clowns, some blue shrooms, some green/blue fuzzy shrooms, a small amount of favia, two chromis, and a large royal gramma.

I dropped off the royal gramma and two chromis at the LFS for some store credit.

You should frag off some of those alleged Ring of Fire's and send them to me. B)

I'll let things settle in a bit more over the next couple weeks first. I don't mind sending you a frag in a couple weeks.

Well my tank has turned into big momma's house with the new clowns. I would take some pics but the water is a bit cloudy. The female has been digging around the base of the rocks near the back of the tank. She rules the house right now. Hopefully she will settle in soon.

My maroon clown pair might possibly be breeding. I don't see much of them as they spend the majority of the time in the back of the tank near the heater. I see the female more often than the male. She has dug out the sand bottom in the rear of the tank down to the glass. I only see the male near feeding time.

I'll post a new video shortly.

I should have some new pics up later in the week when I get my radioactive dragons eyes zoas.

Here's the new video:

th_DSCN0422.jpg

Looking forward to the meetup this weekend. I've been fragging zoas and have about 6-7 people lined up for trades so I should have some nice new pieces.

I've got some nice stuff lined up for this weekend. As of right now I have lined up some frags of the following:

Blue Slimer

Pink and Blue Prostrata

Chips Acro

Pearlberry look alike

frogspawn

orange zoas

and some of these:

P5190006.jpg

This list may grow.

Let me start by saying the pics aren't the greatest but here they are:

They are of the following (I may of left something out):

tubbs blues

pink lemonade zoas

Blue Slimer (a bit bleached when I got it but will see how it recovers)

Pink and Blue Prostrata

Chips Acro

Pearlberry look alike

frogspawn

orange zoas

rics

radioactive dragon's eyes (haven't quite opened yet, only problem child)

orange monti cap

some green palys

I've got a new colony of zoas coming and some neon GSP to pick up this weekend.

It's coming along nicely.

P5190006.jpg

in the original owners tank

09-2-3.jpg

09-9-1.jpg

09-10.jpg

09-1-3.jpg

09-8-1.jpg

09-7-2.jpg

09-6-2.jpg

09-5-2.jpg

09-3-3.jpg

Here are some fresh pics with the new FTS and monti spumosa added. Tubbs blues already have 2 new polyps after a week so they are growing nice and quick (love these). I don't understand why they are so expensive when they grow so quickly.

Let me know what you think.

DSCN0448.jpg

DSCN0426.jpg

DSCN0435.jpg

DSCN0432.jpg

DSCN0456.jpg

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0439.jpg

I managed to pick up a free baseball sized pink birds nest piece tonight. I also ordered some ORA joe the coral, an orange ric and another shroom. I'll post some pics when they arrive.

I should be getting my new goodies (can't wait for the ORA joe the coral) in the morning.

In the mean time I decided to add a few actinic shots from tonight. The monti spumosa looks great, good shot of the polyps.

09-11.jpg

09-1-4.jpg

09-4-3.jpg

09-3-4.jpg

09-2-4.jpg

It's been a frustating afternoon as I have had to redo the rockwork (I had a loose troublesome rock). In the process I snapped off my monti cap and and another stony. I had to epoxy both and nothing is happy with me right now. Two hours of rock work :angry: .

Worst casualty was my emerald crab. I'm pretty sure he was crushed by a rock earlier. That really sucks. Hopefully everything will rebound well.

My tubbs blues were doing great. They went from 4 polyps to 7 in just over a week. Hopefully this is only a minor set back.

I really need to finish the 40 breeder and move everything over soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Got plenty of coral to add in the next week. Got about 10 different zoa frags to add that I picked up from fraggle reef and atlantic sea farms. Still working on a time to pick up my red planet frag from someone. Got a meet in two weeks and I think that will about max out the space available. The tubbs blues are doing great. They are at 9 polyps from the original 4.

I am aiming at end of july or early august to start the move to the 40.

I'll post some pics next week of the 20.

Here's some quick new pics (low quality). Still more to come. Looking for some feedback.

09-15.jpg

09-14.jpg

09-13.jpg

09-12-1.jpg

09-11-1.jpg

09-9-2.jpg

09-5-3.jpg

09-8-2.jpg

09-7-3.jpg

09-6-3.jpg

09-4-4.jpg

09-3-5.jpg