inTank Media Baskets

Finally, Sunpod LED Actinics

evilc66

WhatIsDharma

Are you for sure going to do another group buy in a few months? Because i would love one of these on my 18" t5ho for my 10 gallon but cant afford it right now.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evil,

I have ordered the dual LED unit for my 20" Sunpod 150w MH. I am ready to replace the stock bulb after the first six months I have been running the Sunpod. Should I get the Phoenix 14k bulb or will this be too much "blue" running along with the blue LED's?

Thanks

Depends on how much blue you like. I run the Phoenix, and the LEDs are noticable, but not too overpowering when turned all the way up. If it's too much, turn them down.

CorvetteJoe

I will be down for the next group buy. I am picking up a used sunpod hopefully next week and unfortunately need to recoupe my costs before more mods happen :(

I saw my buddy's MH setup with 3 powerbright strips last night and was just floored at how stunning it was. I immediately started looking for (and found) a sunpod and now want to get your LED setup to go with it.

I look forward to the next GB :)

1) I'm thinking of retrofitting it to a Tek fixture. Has anyone done this already?

2) Planning on setting up a 5.5 gal reef tank. Would 2 fixtures be enough light to grow most of the LPS group? How about SPS? I'm a newbie so I'm not really sure how much power these led fixtures have.

1. There is no easy way to mount these to a Tek fixture. The Teks lack the slot down the length that other fixtures use to mount the legs. You would have to hack both the actinic and the Tek fixture to mount it. What would you use it for anyway?

2. It's borderline enough light as far as coverage, but it's all blue light. It's kinda fun as a novelty, but I don't think it's something you will want to look at all the time. And no, I'm not doing custom orders with white LEDs.

I love the way you set up the lighting system.I am going to pick up the same fixture that you got on your tank.I mean Sunpod 150W.I don't know anything about LED and elcetronic staff.But I want to attach the LED on my Sunpod.Is it easy to set up the LED that you got?How much is going to cost?

Seriously?

Start searching and reading. There are a ton of threads on here that will give you an idea on how to build this yourself.

trakmasterrs

or you can just buy the whole thing pre-made from evil :)

Can you please give me the list that things I need to buy and where?
1. There is no easy way to mount these to a Tek fixture. The Teks lack the slot down the length that other fixtures use to mount the legs. You would have to hack both the actinic and the Tek fixture to mount it. What would you use it for anyway?

2. It's borderline enough light as far as coverage, but it's all blue light. It's kinda fun as a novelty, but I don't think it's something you will want to look at all the time. And no, I'm not doing custom orders with white LEDs.

Hacking or adding stuff isn't an issue. Initially thought perhaps I could free up a bulb on the fixture since I am using the LED as the actinics. Guess I will have to find some way around it.

But really really nice work by the way! Really like the design.

Gdubsvdubs@gmail.com

evil66, did you make your own constant current drivers for these? and if so hows the heat on them? did you go the transistor way, or integrated circuit? thanks

I did make my own drivers for this. It's a simple linear regulator. Heat isn't too bad and seems to handle everything well. The potting compound help transfer heat to the heatsink better.

I did make my own drivers for this. It's a simple linear regulator. Heat isn't too bad and seems to handle everything well. The potting compound help transfer heat to the heatsink better.

how exactly does it work? Can u adjust the intensity of the LEDs by turning the regultor?

There is a small pot the lets you adjust from about 100mA to 900mA. Just takes a small phillips screw driver.

fiction101

After running a 20k radium and now a 20k ushio, these are a must. It seems all 150w bulbs new additional actinic to really give your corals a good glow.

I wouldn't say it's a must, but it is nice. This is a great option for 70W Sunpods that have squat for really good bulbs.

lenismare

Evil-

Can you describe how this strip would compare to a Powerbrite? Besides being adjustable how about light dispersion (spotlight, or more dispersed)? Wattage, PAR comparison, etc?

thanx

GaryR1984

You should make something like this for TEK T5 owners. :)

(Which will be me soon!)

It would give them moonlights as well as the Shimmer effect for when Halides are on for those switching from MH.

Opp's just now saw this. :P I was thinking of hacking it into the backside of the angle of the fixture itself. I know I'd have to find a way to drill it in to make it work, but it's interesting to say the least.

I have idea kicking around that would be cool for setups like that, but I just don't have the time right now to do anything with them. Soon, maybe :)

No. I have been running at full tilt for a number of weeks without any failures. The max current is lower than most of use run in our full arrays anyway.

Archived