Coral Vue Hydros

Finally, Sunpod LED Actinics

evilc66

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you mount it on the front or the back of the sunpod for your BC14?

Front. With the adjustment screws backed out all the way, it will cover about 90% of a BC14 or similar.

Sweet, I was just thinking about how to add actinics to my sunpod. I'd be really interested in the black anodizing.

I might be down for 2 for my BC29.

At this rate, annodizing looks like it will happen.

Please, wait for the group buy on monday to sign up for these. I will only add your name to the list if you post on that thread, and not this.

Thanks

1. Totally plug and play. Mount it, hook it to a timer and go.

2. $10 flat rate shipping anywhere in the continental US.

3. It's demo'd on a BC14. I would recommend two for a BC29. A single one barely covers all of a BC14 front to back.

Are those par ratings for the LEDS only? And I have a BC29 with the power compact lights. I'd love to boost it up a little if you could figure out a way to get LEDS into that hood. <pretty please? <g>>

That is LEDs only. A full retro would be better suited for a tank like that. Its hard to cool the LEDs with the PCs in there too.

evil...wonderful design...well done!

I do have one question though regarding the wiring vs. the mounting placement...

I noticed in your photos that the wiring for this unit is located on the RIGHT side (assuming it is mounted on the front of the Sunpod)

Again, based on your photos (and the position on my Sunpod on y BC14) it appears that is the best placement for your LED Actinics....

Therefore, is it possible for these LED Actinics to be made with the option of the wiring mounted on the LEFT side of the unit (again presuming it is mounted on the front) so the wiring can be wrapped around along with the Sunpods wiring?...

Thanks!

C

how long is the group by going to last for?

and would i need 2 to cover my solana?

and it looks like its not true actinics but like just blue..is that right? and do you still run the moonlights even though this really overpowers them?

How is this so bad?

I'm not bashing you or the prices, I'm just cheap.

It's a nice, low profile addon... Now I'm going to go back and finish making my ghetto actinic supplementation setup. :lol:

Well after all our PM's you know Im down for one. 1 question.... will you be able to have these in pure actinic instead of the royal blue?

evil...wonderful design...well done!

I do have one question though regarding the wiring vs. the mounting placement...

I noticed in your photos that the wiring for this unit is located on the RIGHT side (assuming it is mounted on the front of the Sunpod)

Again, based on your photos (and the position on my Sunpod on y BC14) it appears that is the best placement for your LED Actinics....

Therefore, is it possible for these LED Actinics to be made with the option of the wiring mounted on the LEFT side of the unit (again presuming it is mounted on the front) so the wiring can be wrapped around along with the Sunpods wiring?...

Thanks!

C

I realized this not too long after I started the project. I was too far along, and too lazy to change it. The ones that will ship out will have the cords on the end facing the power cords for the Sunpod. This means for anyone getting two, there will be a specific front and back.

I just got a 20k radium on my 150w sunpod. Would these be pointless to get with this type of blue bulb?

Depends on what you are looking to do. On a 20K bulb (depending one what it is), the LEDs probably won't make a lot of difference in the color while the MH is on. You can use them for just dawn/dusk simulation if thats the kind of thing that floats your boat.

how long is the group by going to last for?

and would i need 2 to cover my solana?

and it looks like its not true actinics but like just blue..is that right? and do you still run the moonlights even though this really overpowers them?

For a Solana, two would be needed.

Royal blue LEDs are the best actinics I have seen yet. They make corals fluoresce more than any other type of bulb. The picture in the first post does not do it justice, as I had mentioned. They add a blue tint to the MH, but add more fluorescence too.

These will be turned off while the moonlights are on. These are too powerful to be run as moonlights, as they will still keep corals "awake".

I'm not bashing you or the prices, I'm just cheap.

It's a nice, low profile addon... Now I'm going to go back and finish making my ghetto actinic supplementation setup. :lol:

I wish I could get them cheaper :lol:

Well after all our PM's you know Im down for one. 1 question.... will you be able to have these in pure actinic instead of the royal blue?

Not sure what you mean by "pure actinic". Like I mentioned above, these are the best actinics I have seen. Period. I'll have to get some of the other LED guys in here to tell you what a difference royal blue LEDs make.

Forgot to mention, group buy will last two weeks.

CaptainCarl

count me in too evilc66,

I am getting a 16.5" 70W sunpod next week for sweet deal to go on my BC14.. and Royal blue LED mod would make it look even better. Great mod, nothing to hack up on sunpod and for $60 you get Royal blue antinics.

will be following this thread.

Separate question from one I posed earlier. Are these only for actinic purposes, or will you offer a White LED pack as well to up the par to the MH. Perhaps (For a 24 gallon system) a blue in back and a white in front if ordering 2. Just wondering because I would love to get whites on my front end to get some more light to the bottom front (the darkest area of my tank) of my system.

Gotta agree now that I have my own LED setup you will notice more fluorescence on the corals using these royal blues. I need to take some pics of my blues only versus no blues. How can you go wrong.

Scott

Thanks for the answers...if i go for two is there any way that you could splice the two together so i can run the to one timer plug???

Evil - looks great!

I have the 34 gal Solana with the Sunpod and would need two units. How long before you come out with the linable units? I would wait if I could avoid two sets of wire and power supplies. There is already three sets of wires coming out of the Sunpod, so that would make five sets :)

will you also sell them after this GB? and if so, how much will they be then?

These will probably be only sold in my "group buys", as it's typically the only way I get the best price for all the parts, and the best price I can to you. I seem to be doing group buys every four months or so, so it won't be too long till the next one if you can get a set this time around.

Separate question from one I posed earlier. Are these only for actinic purposes, or will you offer a White LED pack as well to up the par to the MH. Perhaps (For a 24 gallon system) a blue in back and a white in front if ordering 2. Just wondering because I would love to get whites on my front end to get some more light to the bottom front (the darkest area of my tank) of my system.

Hadn't really thought about that. While normally I would say "Yes, I'll do it", I'm trying to limit custom orders so things don't get screwed up in the process of getting everything built. Cool whites by themselves might not look too appealing though. The warm color might stick out. Two whites and a royal blue would look better.

Thanks for the answers...if i go for two is there any way that you could splice the two together so i can run the to one timer plug???

I think I can do that for people looking for two units. Needs a different power supply than I had spec'd out, but it won't increase the price any.

Is this why you asked people to send you photographs of sunpods a few months back?

This was the intent, but as you can see, I went with a different angle. Thanks for the pictures though ;)

Like 420nm purple light?

The closest LED is a 410nm UV LED, and really doesn't give that good of a result by itself. The 455nm royal blues are far more useful in regards to photosynthesis, and fluoresce a wider range of colors than the 410nm LEDs. As far as LEDs go, this is the best actinic you can get if you are looking for fluorescence.

Evil - looks great!

I have the 34 gal Solana with the Sunpod and would need two units. How long before you come out with the linable units? I would wait if I could avoid two sets of wire and power supplies. There is already three sets of wires coming out of the Sunpod, so that would make five sets :)

Like I posted above, I will look into doing two units on one power supply.

Archived