Pod Your Reef

Finally, Sunpod LED Actinics

evilc66

Are you looking for something pre-packaged, or are you willing to build it yourself? I'm assuming you are talking about doing a complete LED retrofit.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi evil...

I also have a BC14 like you with a 70W Sunpod fixture...

so my question to you is do you recommend a single (front mounted) fixture or would there be any benefit to using a dual unit (front & back mounted) ?.....

also, is there any "tilt" angle on these units or do they project light straight down?

thanks!

C

A single on a BC14 will be enough to cover about 90% of the tank. The adjustment screws allow the unit to tilt in a little to get the most coverage, so it's not perfectly straight down in this situation. Wider tanks you would clamp it and run two. You can run two if you like. It will just give you more blue (which can be dialed down), and more complete coverage. Even at 90% it looks good.

This is almost perfect for the 70W Sunpods, as the bulb selection isn't as great as a 150W. You can now dial in the perfect color.

Are you looking for something pre-packaged, or are you willing to build it yourself? I'm assuming you are talking about doing a complete LED retrofit.

What would adding two of these pre-packaged units to with my current setup do? How much expense and effort would it take to do a complete LED retro? Im open to your ideas and appreciate your expertise.

Thanks!

These will not do well in a hot enclosed area. They don't have the surface area to deal with that kind of heat. You can add LEDs in other ways (using larger heatsinks), but typically the effort required to cram them into small spaces outweighs the benefit produced by them. Many times it's more effective to go with a complete LED replacement to get the most out of it.

el fabuloso
Royal blue LEDs are the best actinics I have seen yet. They make corals fluoresce more than any other type of bulb. The picture in the first post does not do it justice, as I had mentioned. They add a blue tint to the MH, but add more fluorescence too.

Not sure what you mean by "pure actinic". Like I mentioned above, these are the best actinics I have seen. Period. I'll have to get some of the other LED guys in here to tell you what a difference royal blue LEDs make.

I got my retrofit LED fixture for my pico from Evil and the Royal Blue LEDs are the best I've seen anywhere. They bring the best colors out of your corals that you have to really see to believe. I recently transitioned to a predominantly LPS/SPS tank and I've been seeing great coloration and amazing growth in SPS corals.

This video isn't current but it shows just how intense the Royal Blue LEDs are and how much it affects color temperature:

Would the blue be strong enough to overcome the intensity of 150watt Sunpod? Also how long would you say the lights would last from your experience. Thanks :D

All the demo pictures were taken on a 150W Sunpod with a Phoenix 14K.

If the LEDs don't fail from manufacturer defect and the temperature keeps in check (which they seem to do), it should last many years. Technically, the LEDs should last 13+ years on a 10 hour day.

Evil,

I have a RSM, what LED retro would you recommend? I have always wanted the MH shimmer and light intensity but want to stick with the stock hood and low heat, ie no chiller.

Thanks!

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. Lot's of things going on at once.

I had recommended to others in the past about 28 LEDs for and RSM retro. The extra room in the RSM hood lets you spread things out a little more and add a few more LEDs for better coverage. Adding 60 degree optics will get you performance similar to a 150W MH. The interior of the hood will need to be gutted though, as there is the opaque splash guard surrounding the lights.

coachfraley

I have a 24" current nova extreme T5 fixture. Do you have any idea if your unit would fit on this fixture? I would love to add some shimmer to my tank!

Am I correct in assuming that one unit would only light up the center portion of a 24" tank?

vincienzo45

I have a 20" Nova Extreme Pro T5. The LED fixtures should fit fine on it since the groove where you attach them is identical to the ones on a Sunpod. But will the LED fixtures give that shimmer effect? or is this only possible if a MH is used in conjunction with it?

I have a 24" current nova extreme T5 fixture. Do you have any idea if your unit would fit on this fixture? I would love to add some shimmer to my tank!

Am I correct in assuming that one unit would only light up the center portion of a 24" tank?

LEDs will most certainly add shimmer to a T5 setup. Coachfraley, I could do you one unit without optics to give you the widest spread if all you are looking for is shimmer.

vincienzo45

REHEHEHEALLY, hmm..would one unit suffice or would I need the dual to get the shimmer for my 20" NEP unit ?

LEDs will most certainly add shimmer to a T5 setup. Coachfraley, I could do you one unit without optics to give you the widest spread if all you are looking for is shimmer.

Depends on your tank. Anything under 14" wide will need only one. Above that, two would be better. Come to think of it, this could be a fantastic way to get more color on the 18" T5 setups. It's a much better blue than the 460nm actinics it comes with, and adds far more fluorescence.

vincienzo45

I have a 29g Biocube and the width is about 19".

The fact that the bulb selection is currently lacking for the NEP 20" unit is why I'm willing to give your fixtures a shot. And having the oh so pretty shimmer lines :bowdown: is also a big plus, since I don't want to use MH.

I'll be sure to reply on your current GB for a Dual fixture then...thanks man!

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. Lot's of things going on at once.

I had recommended to others in the past about 28 LEDs for and RSM retro. The extra room in the RSM hood lets you spread things out a little more and add a few more LEDs for better coverage. Adding 60 degree optics will get you performance similar to a 150W MH. The interior of the hood will need to be gutted though, as there is the opaque splash guard surrounding the lights.

Thanks for the reply, I understand that you are really busy. I will become more educated about LEDs and try to get more details on everything I need to make this project yield the best possible results. The reason I want to keep the hood is that I like the clean look and mainly because I have fish that would jump out if the top was open.

Looking forward to having LEDs. I'll try to catch you on your next GB.

Thanks again!

Todd

Didn't say you need to remove the hood, just take all the crap out so you have room to work inside.

Not going to guarantee anything. I would love to work on some of those, but time is short. It's also a ton more work for me than what I have made so far.

I just put my name down for 1 of the Sunpod LED Actinics singles, But I will also need a new 70mh soon. In your opinion what would be the best bulb choice other than the astrulux. I like the bluer look but hopefully that will be covered with the new leds.

Archived