ReefCleaners.org

Finally, Sunpod LED Actinics

evilc66

Thanks Evil for the answer, makes sense. I'm debating right now if i need that much added fluorescence to my system. I have always wanted 'just a little more' light to the front end of my system, which is why I had asked about the whites (or the better setup you had suggested of 2 whites and a blue), but as it seems like you're going to be inundated with requests, I wouldn't want to burden you with something added like this. Looks like a project for me to learn!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The closest LED is a 410nm UV LED, and really doesn't give that good of a result by itself. The 455nm royal blues are far more useful in regards to photosynthesis, and fluoresce a wider range of colors than the 410nm LEDs. As far as LEDs go, this is the best actinic you can get if you are looking for fluorescence.

Well I'm getting it regardless. Just wanted to ask.

It will definitely look better, but if I can't get the volume, the price of each unit has to go up to get it done.

Won't be able to bring the price down any more even if the quantity gets super huge. My cost on materials dosn't change until I get into the hundreds.

For annodizing, I would say 20-25 units would be the minimum to get it cost effective where I don't have to increase the price. That is, unless you guys would be able to swallow an extra $5 per unit to cover the annodizing if we don't get enough? I don't think it will be an issue though.

Tanque Verde

Hello Evil,

From one who has prodded you, sometimes mercilessly, for new led products, thank you very much for your ongoing design.

I have a request and a question:

1) At your convenience, would you please post a frontal picture of your BC 14 with the Sunpod and LED unit sitting on top. A picture like the first in this thread but backed up a few steps so that the Sunpod and LED are also visible in their operating position.

2) You mentioned in passing that the Current Powerbright is underpowered. Is there a quick and easy way to power one to its capacity?

Regardless of whether or not I order this device, I appreciate your work. I'd be curious what you could do with a Viper. (Sorry, couldn't resist. :D )

It will definitely look better, but if I can't get the volume, the price of each unit has to go up to get it done.

Makes sense - I will be signing up for one. And I would want it to be black - fwiw.

Keith

Thanks for the response Evil. Two units spiced together would be perfect! Black would be prefered so I guess I'll see you Monday and see if we got enough people!

Hello Evil,

From one who has prodded you, sometimes mercilessly, for new led products, thank you very much for your ongoing design.

I have a request and a question:

1) At your convenience, would you please post a frontal picture of your BC 14 with the Sunpod and LED unit sitting on top. A picture like the first in this thread but backed up a few steps so that the Sunpod and LED are also visible in their operating position.

2) You mentioned in passing that the Current Powerbright is underpowered. Is there a quick and easy way to power one to its capacity?

Regardless of whether or not I order this device, I appreciate your work. I'd be curious what you could do with a Viper. (Sorry, couldn't resist. :D )

1. I'll see what I can do.

2. Powerbrites only use 1W LEDs, so they are limited in that regard. It's possible they could be pushed farther with some mods, but I don't know by how much.

well as cool as these are and as bad as i want 2 for my solana, i will have to wait til the next GB as funds are short at the moment :angry:

but when the next GB rolls around i want them in black and preferably spliced together with 1 power source :) that would be sweet!

Sign me up for 2 as well!!!
Please, wait for the group buy on monday to sign up for these. I will only add your name to the list if you post on that thread, and not this.

Thanks

well as cool as these are and as bad as i want 2 for my solana, i will have to wait til the next GB as funds are short at the moment :angry:

but when the next GB rolls around i want them in black and preferably spliced together with 1 power source :) that would be sweet!

Too bad, but I understand. See you on the next one. I'll save you a spot ;)

What would be the estimated turn around time. I know you said the GB would be open for 2 weeks but how long after we pay can we expect a package in the mail :)

Figure about 3 weeks after the GB closes. It will take about a week to get parts, then assembly. LED and lens orders will ship out as soon as I get them obviously, but the actinics, pico LEDs lamps, and whatever else is ordered will ship as soon as possible.

evil, you mentioned that you would warranty these LED Actinics...

could you elaborate on what the warranty would be and for how long please?

thanx!

I don't think I mentioned it specifically on this part (I did on the 12" fixture), but I will warranty it for 6 months. It will last a lot longer than that, but if there is a failure that is relaited to manufacture defect (LED, or my own construction mistake) then I will take care of it. Beyond that, I will help you out as much as I can to get it repaired.

Anyway, these are now available in the group buy.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194886

This looks like a great product! It's more-or-less what I wanted to do to my BC-14 before I went with all LEDs. The Cree LEDs will destroy all other actinics, in my opinion. I did a test with 2 royal blue LEDs compared to my 27w actinic PC bulb and there was no comparison. The colors under the RB LEDs is so extreme and vibrant. It will even make your ugly corals pop w/ color you didn't know existed. Here's a demo vid I did a while ago:

Unfortunately, you can't really capture the colors on camera (at least not my gear :) ).

Evil,

I have a RSM, what LED retro would you recommend? I have always wanted the MH shimmer and light intensity but want to stick with the stock hood and low heat, ie no chiller.

Thanks!

Archived