Pod Your Reef

Ribbies Rimless 15G Reef

ribbie

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep awesome tank in the making...

Try this ribbie... select the portion of the image that is washed out because of the glass reflection, and adjust the levels just on that portion... I would feather the edge of the selection by a couple pixels also, just so you don't end up with a line along the filtered area.

I try not to take pictures during the day because of that reflection in the glass, or getting the angle so it is minimized.

Not gonna lie, I can see that tank looking awesome down the road.

Thanks Bobby :)

Yep awesome tank in the making...

Try this ribbie... select the portion of the image that is washed out because of the glass reflection, and adjust the levels just on that portion... I would feather the edge of the selection by a couple pixels also, just so you don't end up with a line along the filtered area.

I try not to take pictures during the day because of that reflection in the glass, or getting the angle so it is minimized.

Thanks for the tip Blue. I used some free online image editor for that picture but I'll try find my photoshop discs here. I have it somewhere just need to find it and I'll try out your suggestion. I'm using a Canon SD1000 P+S so I cant really ask for much :D

I glued my first frag today!

dqkoz9.jpg

I dunno if I used too much glue or not enough:

13zwuxc.jpg

Side shot:

2eezpde.jpg

Then a couple of hours later:

29fxapg.jpg

1535ovc.jpg

Top down:

2rx7985.jpg

B)

Looks great, are you planning on gluing your softy frags to the rock (like permanently mounting them right on your rock)?

Looks great, are you planning on gluing your softy frags to the rock (like permanently mounting them right on your rock)?

As I understand it the glue isn't permanent but I'll be gluing whatever I can. I'm worried about my urchin bulldozing it though. My next coral is a plate so obviously he'll just be chilling on the sand bed.

I'll glue my gsp + frogspawn once I can find a good specimen.

Careful about attaching GSP to your rockwork as it spreads very quickly and will require frequent trimming.

Tank looks good so far!

Careful about attaching GSP to your rockwork as it spreads very quickly and will require frequent trimming.

Tank looks good so far!

Yeah I'm concerned about that. I've seen it spread in some peoples tanks and it doesnt look pretty. I have even seen some people attach it to the back wall which looked pretty cool...

I'm looking at adding a plate coral and a clown goby shortly, followed by an order from reefgate likely to include 2-3 zoas, an acan, and either hammer or frogspawn.

Hey Ribbie,

Looks really nice. Nice progress since the last time I checked it out. Try glueing putting GSP on a small rock and then putting it against the back wall. It looks pretty neat when it grows over. Have you thought of a background for the tank, like a piece of black bristol board cut to size?

Hey Ribbie,

Looks really nice. Nice progress since the last time I checked it out. Try glueing putting GSP on a small rock and then putting it against the back wall. It looks pretty neat when it grows over. Have you thought of a background for the tank, like a piece of black bristol board cut to size?

Thanks, it'll look even better when I get some more corals in there! :D

I originally was going to paint the back panel a flat black but I opted not to. I have a friend who can get me a vinyl decal but it will be pretty much impossible to put on where the tank is situated. So I was just going to leave it bare for now, maybe try grow some gsp off it like I had mentioned and hopefully let the coralline take over.

I thought about a black backing but thought that if it ever got wet it would look horrible and it's likely going to get wet.

Nice comeback!

Thanks seabass! :D

I'm on holidays so lots of pictures lately:

New FTS:

2n8dlvt.jpg

The newly glued frag:

3eb1s.jpg

looking awesome so far ribbie! i used to have a 15g long, i upgraded to a 20g for more space, and am now thinking of upgrading to a 20L. but i really LOVE the 15g tanks, and yours looks great

keep on keepin on

So I got some good news and some bad news today. The bad news is that my car is in the shop and it's going to need about $1500 worth of work.... because of this I'll have to postpone any further additions.

The good news? I figured if I'm going to be saving every penny for the next month or so then I might as well have a fish to look at.... so I picked up my first fish and second coral today after getting the bad news. It's made me feel better although it probably wasnt the wisest financial decision :P

First, here's my plate coral:

33onyvm.jpg

It's about the size of a ritz cracker right now.

Then my fish, who is currently unnamed, is a Green Clown Goby that I've had my eye on at the LFS for a couple weeks. He's been eating quite abit and was a curious fish. I decided to do some reading on them and have chosen it as my first fish.

From reefpedia.com :

300px-GrnClwnGoby.jpg

And me putting him in the water (little green thing in the middle of the net):

212sjli.jpg

The moment I put him in he went straight for the front glass, found the first cave in a rock and scooted in there. About an hour later I walked by the tank and checked to see if he was still in his cave.... nope. Hmm.. I looked everywhere for that little bugger and I couldn't find him. I almost gave up, when I noticed something on top of my mag float more than halfway up the water column.

2uf4xg9.jpg

That's the best picture I managed to take. I think I spooked him with the camera though because he darted off shortly after that photo was taken.

My next purchase will be through www.reefgate.com but unfortunately I'll have to wait a bit on my order. I'll have a better idea by the end of august how much reefing $$$ is available. -_-

edit: also forgot to mention, I picked up 3 more nassarius snails. (my favorite snails by far! so cool to watch)

Hey, sucks about your car man... but nice coral and fish! Sweet plate, I love those things.

I originally was going to paint the back panel a flat black but I opted not to. I have a friend who can get me a vinyl decal but it will be pretty much impossible to put on where the tank is situated. So I was just going to leave it bare for now, maybe try grow some gsp off it like I had mentioned and hopefully let the coralline take over.

I thought about a black backing but thought that if it ever got wet it would look horrible and it's likely going to get wet.

You should consider getting some auto tint and using that on the back of your tank. I have 35% on the back of my tank and I love the effect ;)

Curly Joe Reefer

I love that fish the color is amazing and the 15 gallon rimless is a very cool tank i wish i'd have gone with that size instead of the standard 10

I love that fish the color is amazing and the 15 gallon rimless is a very cool tank i wish i'd have gone with that size instead of the standard 10

thanks man. I'm going to try take some better photos of him today. He's out and about now seemingly at home. I'm feeding him for the first time shortly and hope to get some better shots then.

I've been reading that the green clown goby likes branched coral like a birds nest or something. Might have to get one down the road, adds a nice pink to the tank as well.

I want a 20L now haha It's tank envy man seeing everyones gorgeous tanks here makes it tough to love your own some days. :)

Fish looks great sorry about the car I know that feeling and it blows, I blew the trans on my car about a month ago been saving for the same reason. I bought a fish I figure It will keep me entertained till I can afford some coral.

What kind of fish is that in your avatar?

Fish looks great sorry about the car I know that feeling and it blows, I blew the trans on my car about a month ago been saving for the same reason. I bought a fish I figure It will keep me entertained till I can afford some coral.

What kind of fish is that in your avatar?

Thanks man. It really wasn't a good day yesterday.

The fish in my av is called a Mandarin Goby\Dragonet. It's a very difficult fish to keep in a smaller tank because it requires a large stable supply of copepods. Some members have successfully trained theirs to feed off pellets but it's very rare to see them. I think they look beautiful and would love to have one some day. Check out the target goby as well both super cool looking fish IMO. B)

Maybe when I move into the 20L I'll use the 15 as a sump and seed them in there. I'm going to wait a year or so before I make any decisions.

The fish in my av is called a Mandarin Goby\Dragonet. It's a very difficult fish to keep in a smaller tank because it requires a large stable supply of copepods.

Damn I love that fish saw one yesterday but didn't see what the name was. I was just about to ask if I could keep one oh well maybe later if I get a bigger tank and have more time for a fish like that its a jaw dropper it looks so exotic and expensive.

Damn I love that fish saw one yesterday but didn't see what the name was. I was just about to ask if I could keep one oh well maybe later if I get a bigger tank and have more time for a fish like that its a jaw dropper it looks so exotic and expensive.

They're actually quite cheap but they are very difficult to keep healthy. Lots of people buy them and the end up dying a couple months later for "no reason" (starvation). It's my favorite saltwater fish and my goal is to keep a healthy one some day. I'm a long way off from that unfortunately... there's a lot for me to learn still about the hobby before I think I'm ready.

Yeah that would definitely be my first choice if it wasn't so hard to keep. I guess as I get better at this I'll maybe keep one when I have a better tank and more knowledge. I just went through your whole topic WOW :bling: the prices in Canada are HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I basically live in the center of Canada so it's not exactly a popular hobby. There's a fair amount of people who are into it but most of the good stuff comes from the coasts. All the zoas and stuff I see around here are brown 9/10 times. No thanks.

So my tuxedo urchin, Fuzz, decided he was going to test out my gluing skills by leaning on my zoa frag for about 30 minutes. The picture doesnt show his little tentacle thingers but he had probably 70% of his feelers pushing on the zoa frag. I was super worried he was going to knock it over and then I'd have to evaluate how bad I want a tuxedo urchin! :P

e0sis9.jpg

Thankfully, it held and he retreated back to the top of the rock. The little bugger keeps picking up my ceriths though and gets them up in a way where there's no way they'll be able to right themselves. I guess their footprint isnt strong enough to overtake the urchin. I've had to intervene 5 days in a row now, which I hate doing because I want to try leave the tank be as much as possible not sticking my grubby hands in there every day. :lol:

Oh, and I counted 21 heads on my zoas (up from 18 in two weeks!). Still no pics of my clown goby little bugger is fast. I hope today I will see him eat. Also, he's earned the name Jesus (hey-zeus). I was trying to explain what he looked like to my gf over the phone and I said kind of like a jesus fish. Then it turned into a little joke and now his name is jesus (hey-zeus).

Archived