SaltCritters.com

Ribbies Rimless 15G Reef

ribbie

The LED's have anywhere from a 5-7 second delay which concerns me. :/

Mine does that too. Hopefully that's how it's supposed to be...

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good, though you need to get some rock to get that cycle really going. Good stocking plans, why not get another A. Ocellaris clown? or consider some of the gobies to add as a second fish.

Mine does that too. Hopefully that's how it's supposed to be...

Phew. I was worried that maybe it got damaged in shipping or something. I'm just testing out the timers now but I'm really happy that the light fits the tank so well. I was also going to start a 10G but I decided that a 15 was my best bang for the buck.

Looking good! Keep it up.

Thanks yeast, I cant wait to get some Zoanthids from you! :D

Looking good, though you need to get some rock to get that cycle really going. Good stocking plans, why not get another A. Ocellaris clown? or consider some of the gobies to add as a second fish.

Thanks! I'm dying to get some live rock but it'll have to wait a couple weeks unfortunately. I'm going to hopefully start cycling by June sometime. I have all of the test kits and everything I just need to make sure I have some time to recieve and set up the rock. I'm still researching the types of rock to determine what I should get. Right now I'm leaning towards bali alor but my only concern is not having many flat spots to mount coral. So I need to find out if I can mix two LR types ie) Vanautu and Bali Alor. If I go with jlaquatics again (great service! :D) then I really only have three options. Vanautu, Bali Alor, and Irian Jaya.

I thought about getting two clowns but I'm leaning towards a different species. I have looked at gobys, watchmen specifically, and they have caught my eye but I'm not a fan of their tendency to burrow. Honestly, I have so much to digest still that long term fish plans are low priority. I also might have to move in the next year so I'd like to keep the population down until I'm settled in my own place.

I'm really intrigued by the Jawfish pvc homes that are being sold in the hardware section.... my only concern is jumpers.

Vanautu rock is gonna be pricey, cuz they pretty much cant collect it anymore, I would look for more smaller sizes to mix and match, like some flat and round pieces.

Vanautu rock is gonna be pricey, cuz they pretty much cant collect it anymore, I would look for more smaller sizes to mix and match, like some flat and round pieces.

I realize it will be expensive. It's ~$10 a lb for bali alor ~$9 for Vanautu and I can get some plain "indo" rock locally for $10-12 a lb. I'd like to buy all my rock at once and am looking at ~$260 for 18lbs. There's not a lot of retailers who sell online and ship to canada.

Beautiful tank! Following your tank as well :)

In retrospect, i should have done more research and purchased a longer/lower tank like yours. Oh well, there's always next time. Can't wait to see your tank up and running with livestock!

Looking good so far :D!

Here's a photo of my 15G long so far, just got live rock in the tank so far, first few corals this weekend :)

100_5866.jpg

I'll be starting my thread soon :)

ColoradoNano
Looking good so far :D!

Here's a photo of my 15G long so far, just got live rock in the tank so far, first few corals this weekend :)

100_5866.jpg

I'll be starting my thread soon :)

Will definetly check that out!!! I love your aquascape 2-3 big rocks looks alot better then alot of smaller rocks put together props to you!

Thanks for all the comments gang! :D

As of today, I still have not placed an order for live rock so the tank is pretty much in the state as it was last update. I've visited several stores locally and have decided that it's in my best interest to order online. The big issue will be having the time to set everything up. Life is a bit crazy right now but I'm hoping to order my LR by the end of the month so I can have my tank up and cycled by July.

I will be updating this weekend with some pictures of my AC70 refugium mod. I purchased and installed an AC20 impeller, marine goop, and some extra plastic for baffles. I might even work on that this evening after work.

ColoradoNano
Thanks for all the comments gang! :D

As of today, I still have not placed an order for live rock so the tank is pretty much in the state as it was last update. I've visited several stores locally and have decided that it's in my best interest to order online. The big issue will be having the time to set everything up. Life is a bit crazy right now but I'm hoping to order my LR by the end of the month so I can have my tank up and cycled by July.

I will be updating this weekend with some pictures of my AC70 refugium mod. I purchased and installed an AC20 impeller, marine goop, and some extra plastic for baffles. I might even work on that this evening after work.

Any reason why your installing the AC20 impeller, that reduces the flow correct??? with the AC70 and 15G cant it handle everything the AC70 impeller throws at it?

Any reason why your installing the AC20 impeller, that reduces the flow correct??? with the AC70 and 15G cant it handle everything the AC70 impeller throws at it?

The AC70 is too strong for my 15G. It's rated for a 70 Gallon tank so it's not an issue cycling water. The problem is that it cycles too much which resulted in a lot of evaporation. I read a couple of other members tank threads who have similar refugiums and most are running the AC20 impeller. I just want to grow some chaeto back there and hide my heater (which is too big to fit now I should add.. need to buy a stealth 50W).

Keep in mind, the AC20-70 have interchangable impellers. The AC110 does not and requires modification either with a dremel or sanding. That seemed like a big PITA so I just downgraded to a 70 and got the AC20 impeller ($10).

ColoradoNano
The AC70 is too strong for my 15G. It's rated for a 70 Gallon tank so it's not an issue cycling water. The problem is that it cycles too much which resulted in a lot of evaporation. I read a couple of other members tank threads who have similar refugiums and most are running the AC20 impeller. I just want to grow some chaeto back there and hide my heater (which is too big to fit now I should add.. need to buy a stealth 50W).

Keep in mind, the AC20-70 have interchangable impellers. The AC110 does not and requires modification either with a dremel or sanding. That seemed like a big PITA so I just downgraded to a 70 and got the AC20 impeller ($10).

I assume im prob going to have to top-off quite a bit with the setup (mine is preety much just like yours) but please let me know how much the AC20 impeller helps as I might perform the same mod if it makes a substantial difference.

More photos! ;)

Ask and ye shall recieve!

So today was a huge day for me. I found out that one of our local shops recieved some Vanuatu on the weekend which is a rarity around here. Most of the rock is cured for months and extremely dense. I have hemmed and hawed about buying online but wanted to see what this guy could get before I made my decision.

Right after adding the LR:

v8ppw5.jpg

After about an hour:

28ilv12.jpg

20sdu9y.jpg

Right side:

242x0rm.jpg

14x1302.jpg

Left side:

357lzdh.jpg

My favorite little peice because of the beautiful red coralline:

neygig.jpg

Day one of the cycle begins. I'll update more later and respond to any questions.

Archived