Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ribbies Rimless 15G Reef

ribbie

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm pretty happy with the scape. I nested the larger peice on the right into the middle peice to reduce the arch and add some stability.

I also found some hitch hikers! So far, I've noticed that I have 3 different feather dusters (I think) and two unidentified snails. I tried to figure out what kind of snail I had yesterday using the google but I couldnt figure it out.

I'll post some pictures later today but the snail shell is about 1 cm long, white and beige with almost a ying yang pattern. Any ideas based on that description are welcomed!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, now I notice one of my snails is dead laying in the sand on it's back not moving. But, I did notice a serpent starfish! :D I can spend hours looking at the tank my girlfriend doesnt get the obsession!

This morning, after about 12 hours of darkness, I turned on my actinics and I saw a LOT of worms hanging out. There were 4-5 that were about 2 inches in length (hard to tell because the curl). Some retreated into the rock right away while others just hung out as if nothing happened. I noticed some smaller specimen as well, along with a new burrow in the front corner of my tank.

At first I thought they were Bristle worms but after looking at the images at google I'm not so sure. And the serpent star was laid out on the sand under my "arch" on the right side of the tank just relaxing. Looks like he's lost part of his limb.

My girlfriend named her Stella the starfish lol. B)

• 2 weeks later...

So we're on day 12 of the cycle and there's been some changes! WATER CHANGES! mwhahaha

My ammonia was testing off the charts for the first 7 days and as a result it nuked everyone in the tank (including stella *sniff*). I decided that I would start to try cut down the ammonia by mass semi daily water changes. I've only performed two so far of around 4.5 gallons a shot but the ammonia has come down from 8.0 to >1.0 PPM. Nitrites have dropped a point as well.

Just tested:

dbrvro.jpg

Anyways here's some pictures of what's growing now! Green is good right?

FTS: don't mind the smear all over the left side lol

vife6b.jpg

These green things are all over my sand bed, rock and even on the glass.

2vs594l.jpg

4zxgxx.jpg

16hm6bq.jpg

I'll report back when I add my CUC. Don't have a timeline... just 1 week after my level zero.

umm, well, lets see how to say this...

good thing: tank looks sweet and love the scape.

bad thing: that green stuff is, bad. it is bryopsis.

good thing: just buy some tech-m magnesium, (or any maqnesium supplement) and start raising the magnesium in the tank. this should kill the bryopsis. there are a few other methods also, so just go to google and search: how to cure bryopsis. you can pick whatever think is best. but i did the maqnesium, and it worked, (give or take a lil)

also, cut light to your tank for a couple days. and not just the tank lights, you need absolute blackness. i wrapped a towel around the tank for 3 days. i had some zoanthids and shrooms inside and they were fine, but it helps.

good luck!

ps, this tank has lots of potential!

umm, well, lets see how to say this...

good thing: tank looks sweet and love the scape.

bad thing: that green stuff is, bad. it is bryopsis.

good thing: just buy some tech-m magnesium, (or any maqnesium supplement) and start raising the magnesium in the tank. this should kill the bryopsis. there are a few other methods also, so just go to google and search: how to cure bryopsis. you can pick whatever think is best. but i did the maqnesium, and it worked, (give or take a lil)

also, cut light to your tank for a couple days. and not just the tank lights, you need absolute blackness. i wrapped a towel around the tank for 3 days. i had some zoanthids and shrooms inside and they were fine, but it helps.

good luck!

ps, this tank has lots of potential!

Thanks for the comments! And thanks for the heads up on the bryopsis. The unfortunate part is that I wont be able to get any salt water supplies until tuesday now as the LFS is closed monday. I've shut off the lights in the mean time and have read up a bit on the topic.

I wonder if I should continue to do water changes to bring the ammonia down? I've got one planned for tuesday night and thursday. I obviously dont want to be dosing before any scheduled water change....

I'll see if I can get a test kit and dosing agent for Tues night to complete after my WC.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update. Still battling bryopsis but my chemicals came in finally and it looks like my tank has finished cycling:

mm63xc.jpg

10qlb0k.jpg

Latest FTS

35j9cw9.jpg

Paleoreef103

Looks good, the rock looks quality. One thing. I think the AC70 impeller would be fine on this tank. Yes it says that it's good for 70 gallons, but a lot of people here have that same filter on their 3 gallon picotopes! An AC70 is only 300 gph at full impeller and that's certainly not too much for a 15 gallon tank. I ran a 15 with a emperor 280 on it for carbon and flow (280 gph) and the flow certainly wasn't too much. If you think it's too much flow just push the intake tube to the right and it'll cut back flow to ~200 gph. Also, just because it SAYS it's good for 70 gallon tanks, does not make it so. Most people here use protein skimmers and other things that are way oversized compared to their manufacturers ratings. Filters are no exceptions.

Thanks for the comments as always!

Looks good, the rock looks quality. One thing. I think the AC70 impeller would be fine on this tank. Yes it says that it's good for 70 gallons, but a lot of people here have that same filter on their 3 gallon picotopes! An AC70 is only 300 gph at full impeller and that's certainly not too much for a 15 gallon tank. I ran a 15 with a emperor 280 on it for carbon and flow (280 gph) and the flow certainly wasn't too much. If you think it's too much flow just push the intake tube to the right and it'll cut back flow to ~200 gph. Also, just because it SAYS it's good for 70 gallon tanks, does not make it so. Most people here use protein skimmers and other things that are way oversized compared to their manufacturers ratings. Filters are no exceptions.

It looked to me like there was too much flow with the AC70. It was causing a lot of evaporation compared to the AC20 impeller. I'm sure it could work but I'm very happy with the AC20 impeller. It's quieter and will provides less flow which I hope will allow for better macroalgae growing conditions. For a $9 part it's worth it, I think. I can always swap the AC70 impeller back if needed. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Changed my aquascape after removing all the rocks and scrubbing them with a brush... lots of grime came off:

e6c9jl.jpg

zlajo6.jpg

I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me.

Modded my AC70:

m8ej60.jpg

Pretty hack job but it works lol.

Added a minor CUC consisting of a tuxedo urchin, 3 astreas, and a blue hermit.

f0u9mt.jpg

One of the astreas had a little piggy backer:

de7ej6.jpg

I'm going to be picking up some Chaeto on Sunday off a local reefer. I'm also going to purchase some zoanthids (buy some zoas, get free chaeto).

That's it for now, there's a bigger write up on my blog.

As mentioned in the previous post, local hookups:

2z8uekg.jpg

e182f9.jpg

New FTS:

2mooyft.jpg

Check the blog if you want more blathering by me.

The tank is lookin' good! No more bryopsis?

Mg levels are still up, photo cycle has been increased to 6 hours a day. I didn't really want to get zoanthids just yet but we'll see how things go. I couldn't turn down the deal for the chaeto but I think it'll be fine. I'm kind of hoping the chaeto will act as a natural competitor and help eliminate any trace that I cant see.

Nobody posts in my thread and it makes me sad. :(

Added the rest of my CUC today:

- 6 ceriths

- 3 trochus

- 3 nassarius

- 1 emerald crab

Only took a pic of the emerald in the bag:

2hxc7zr.jpg

That's Oz, named after the emerald city in the Wizard of Oz. He's a little bigger than I'd hoped but a welcomed addition.

New FTS:

308iots.jpg

The coral is doing well. I counted 19 jade rings today. I'm not sure what the proper name of the other coral on my frag. It is it a polyp? Anyone know?

Nice additions! Lol, you want a 20 & I want a 15. How long is a 20, would the lights fit?

Thanks. I'm going to add a plate coral and a clown goby next.

A 20L is basically the same size as my tank except it's 30" in length. I love the way a longer tank looks now and I'm jealous of the people who have pulled off two islands with their rockscape and tons of sand space in between. I'm going to continue on with my 15G until I move. But then it's time to upgrade to a 20L :D

I didn't want to buy a 20L initially because of the price difference between the 24" and 30" fixture but I've seen a few reefers use two glass peices across the top of the aquarium where the 24" fixture would sit.

Hmm... do you plan on stocking this tank much before you move?

I'll probably get a few fish and some sexy's. A frogspawn and a plate coral for now but maybe a few others. I'd like to set up a tank at my new place and then bring over the livestock after it's cycled.

I'll probably get a few fish and some sexy's. A frogspawn and a plate coral for now but maybe a few others. I'd like to set up a tank at my new place and then bring over the livestock after it's cycled.

Sounds like a great plan, that's how I would do it if I needed to (and had the option). I wonder if your sexy's will host the plate coral or the frogspawn... should be interesting!

Sounds like a great plan, that's how I would do it if I needed to (and had the option). I wonder if your sexy's will host the plate coral or the frogspawn... should be interesting!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it. There's an awesome orange plate coral specimen in town here that I'm going to pick up in two weeks for $35. I think I'll need to get a few more snails still though as I'm probably in need of a couple more nassarius.

I've noticed some green algae growing again on one of the rocks but it's not really hairy, so we'll see if the new additions help.

Caught Fuzz the urchin creeping by Oz the emerald crab. I tried making the picture better in photoshop... thoughts:

Unedited:

f2nbec.jpg

Edited:

2w6ghz6.jpg

Archived