SaltCritters.com

Ribbies Rimless 15G Reef

ribbie

even increasing my feeding mine still robbed my trumpets and brain while feeding. I finally just gave him to someone else that needed one. I sometimes miss him but he started pinching pieces off of my acro.

Hmm I'll keep that in mind. I almost sold him after the snail incident. I dont really have much in the way of coral just tiny frags so I dont really notice it much.

I want an acro but it's so expensive here. :(

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great tank ribbie ! Yours is the most like mine i've seen on NR, lets see an updated FTS after you get the skimmer on ! I can't believe you've been doing 4g WC's 2x a week ! I usually do 2-3g a week, hope the skimmer helps

great tank ribbie ! Yours is the most like mine i've seen on NR, lets see an updated FTS after you get the skimmer on ! I can't believe you've been doing 4g WC's 2x a week ! I usually do 2-3g a week, hope the skimmer helps

Thanks cruiZe! I will definitely be posting up some new pics after I get my shipment. I am finally getting test kits again to so I'm going to start to get really anal about the water chemistry. Recently the only thing I've been checking is the salinity and only after water changes.

Hey ribbie! The tank is looking good, you've added a nice variety of corals in there. Sorry about the yellow clown goby. It's kind of weird how he just "disappeared".

Here's my tracking id from UPS for my skimmer..... :mellow:

CALGARY, AB, CA 03/12/2009 14:42 ARRIVAL SCAN

RICHMOND, BC, CA 02/12/2009 22:17 DEPARTURE SCAN

RICHMOND, BC, CA 02/12/2009 15:30 ARRIVAL SCAN

CALGARY, AB, CA 02/12/2009 2:40 DEPARTURE SCAN

CALGARY, AB, CA 01/12/2009 19:29 ARRIVAL SCAN

RICHMOND, BC, CA 30/11/2009 23:45 DEPARTURE SCAN

RICHMOND, BC, CA 30/11/2009 19:32 ORIGIN SCAN

RICHMOND, BC, CA 30/11/2009 16:24 PICKUP SCAN

CA 30/11/2009 19:17 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

I cannot believe that lol. Now it's pushed back to a monday delivery day. :(

Hey ribbie! The tank is looking good, you've added a nice variety of corals in there. Sorry about the yellow clown goby. It's kind of weird how he just "disappeared".

Thanks. Yeah I know, it's just a mystery. -_-

So I finally got my protein skimmer in the mail the other day. AAAAAAaaaand I'm a big dummy. I dont know why, but I thought that I could attach the skimmer to the outside of the tank (duh I know). So now, I have to figure out where I'm going to put it in my tank.

I'm thinking about hooking it up on the right hand side and moving my heater over. I realllllllllllly wish I had a sump now and this seriously has me contemplating a new tank build.

For now, I will just have to put the skimmer in the display. Pics in a bit.

yup so even if I did put it in my main display I wouldnt be able to run it because the cup doesnt fit with my lights.

:(

time to start looking at tank options. Ever since I've been in the hobby I've liked the idea of an diy aio. Maybe now it's time to start looking into it.

yup so even if I did put it in my main display I wouldnt be able to run it because the cup doesnt fit with my lights.

:(

time to start looking at tank options. Ever since I've been in the hobby I've liked the idea of an diy aio. Maybe now it's time to start looking into it.

hey great tank btw, been a joy to read. sorry to hear about ur yellow goby. and its shame the skimmer doesnt fit. i just purchased a Deltec MCE 300 for my 15 gallon, abit over powered and it wasnt cheap. but its external which is what i wanted as i dont have a sump. only been running for a day so far.

keep up the good work in your tank tho, looks good. im going to start stocking up on my corals. im sure my skimmer will take care of any crap in my water :)

hey great tank btw, been a joy to read. sorry to hear about ur yellow goby. and its shame the skimmer doesnt fit. i just purchased a Deltec MCE 300 for my 15 gallon, abit over powered and it wasnt cheap. but its external which is what i wanted as i dont have a sump. only been running for a day so far.

keep up the good work in your tank tho, looks good. im going to start stocking up on my corals. im sure my skimmer will take care of any crap in my water :)

Thanks, I've got to debate now do I return the tunze and get a hang on model like you have or do I just keep it and put it towards my next tank. It would have to sit in a box for a couple months though.

So I decided to buy myself a brain so I don't make any more mistakes! :P Got it from a local looking to make space in her tank. I couldnt really capture the color but here's some photos of some corals in my tank that I just took. I think I'm figuring out my camera finally!

Brain:

11tlmwl.jpg

15xrh5e.jpg

67jivq.jpg

vxj0r6.jpg

Frogspawn:

awq1za.jpg

The ragweed:

keaqfr.jpg

Peach centered zoas with my remaining 3 pink panthers in front of it:

2ci76uq.jpg

My watermelon zoas:

28au5uq.jpg

My candy cane, finally splitting into new heads:

2weylv8.jpg

My other palys:

jf88qw.jpg

FTS with actinics:

14dltw3.jpg

FTS:

28k65b5.jpg

The corals look great. Your photography is def improving, the FTS looks great under actinics. I really like that brain. I'm still curious to know what's causing your brown algae. The skimmer would help for sure. I also think painting (or tinting) the back glass would clean up the look a little. Otherwise fabulous! Still striving to have my tank look like this someday!

So I'm not sure if it's just the time of year or if I'm just coming across deal after deal.... I got a great price on my brain coral from my local forum and today I log in to see someone is getting rid of two pom pom crabs for cheap! They both have their anemones still and he wants them gone asap for $40. He even lives super close. I'm thinking I have to pick them up! I wanted to get some ornamental invertebrates but I wasn't sure what. I've loved the look of pom poms but I never see them here at the LFS. I'm just concerned that my mithrax crab might not welcome them to the tank...

On top of that, I notice someone is trying to sell their 10 gallon nano with no livestock. PC lighting, 10 gal, rock and aragonite sand for $60! I pm'd him but there's another 'interested' buyer. If he doesnt sell by friday it's mine. Will make for a perfect little QT tank. :P

The corals look great. Your photography is def improving, the FTS looks great under actinics. I really like that brain. I'm still curious to know what's causing your brown algae. The skimmer would help for sure. I also think painting (or tinting) the back glass would clean up the look a little. Otherwise fabulous! Still striving to have my tank look like this someday!

Thanks! I think I have some high nitrates in there but I dont have any test kits currently (well I do, they're just wrapped under the tree). I'm going to focus more on my water chemistry in the new year to try and improve the growth of my tank.

So I missed out on the pom poms. The lady sold them an hour before I arrived (stupid work, taking up my days :P) but I did buy two sexy shrimp off her.

$30 for two, I guess that's a good deal. I've read they like to be in groups of 3 ideally but these two are like twins. Always within an inch of each other. I'll put some pics up soon once I get some good ones.

I love the watermelons.

Thanks. I think they were actually called "eagle eyes" on the site I got but I have the bad habit of calling them watermelons. -_-

I actually noticed yesterday that my greenberry zoas are finally propigating! I went from 4 polyps to 8 polyps in a matter of days! I also noticed that my peach centered zoas are growing like crazy too. I put a bunch of my zoas up on the rock today with some aquascaping clay. I'm going to take some photos tonight when I get home. Have a water change to do and some husbandry.

I'll let you know if I can get a frag of them going. I got some tips from rootbear at WFF on how to so I'm going to try it out.

So this morning I woke up and saw my brains feeder tentacles extended for the first time ever. Had to grab a pic! I've actually started to keep my camera (fully charged) at my tank for such an occasion. I've missed lots of awesome shots before just from looking for the camera or dead battery.

15xaal0.jpg

I also noticed one of my sexy shrimp was checking it out:

2itlhxi.jpg

There's two of these buggers in my tank but they dont come out much. Generally at night otherwise they're hanging out by the AC70 intake.

My clowns have taken to the frogspawn now and I always see the female in it. That's a good thing I think! lol It's tough to get her to pose nicely but this was the best shot from the 4-5 I tried to take

34revev.jpg

My green clown goby has started to come out a lot more. Unfortunately, he sticks to the center of the tank which makes it incredibly difficult to take a photo of him with my P+S. I got this one today but I'd still like to get a closer one. Note the zoanthid growth on my green berries!

2v7z8gj.jpg

And of course the FTS. Need to do a WC this weekend and bust out the scraper. I've reduced my feeding a lot and started feeding more pellets and I've noticed less brown algae growth. Cant wait to get my test kits (1 more week!)

167qm8l.jpg

I also got a stellar deal on a 10G nano of my local forum. 50/50 PC retro, 10g, heater, rock, sand, hob filter for $60 cdn. It's going to be my quarantine tank once I build a stand for it. The reefer I got it off of actually uses his own home made rock which I thought was really cool. He said it cost him about 8 cents a pound and he was able to shape it to his liking for the tank. The only draw back was the curing time apparently it takes several months to properly cure. It's always good to meet local guys and pick their brains. Thanks for havin me by Bzar!

Everything looks great! That's so cool that ur clowns are taking to the frogspawn, I want to get one of the ones that were bred locally and would love them to host mine. Definetly put me down for a frag of whatever zoas you frag if your succesful.

That brain is actually a scolymia! Nice deal!

Thanks, reading up on them now. B)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/reefslides/index.php

Everything looks great! That's so cool that ur clowns are taking to the frogspawn, I want to get one of the ones that were bred locally and would love them to host mine. Definetly put me down for a frag of whatever zoas you frag if your succesful.

I actually really wish I'd waited and got a school of those local clowns. The ones I've seen in person look very healthy and have great banding. I've read that sometimes clowns bred in captivity can have questionable markings. I cant bring myself to sell my fish though as I want them to go to a good home. I'll just keep them and hopefully one day they'll start spawning. I didnt even know that they can live for decades! (rare but possible)

Ya I could never sell mine either. I want to get one of the new ones tho and hopefult my clown and the new one will pair up. I'm just worried that my 6 line might turn aggressive and bully the little one. It's been peaceful so far though..

Tank is looking great... good to see it clearing up. Corals are looking happy too! Seeing the fish makes me excited for adding some to my tank! Keep it up!

Tank is looking great... good to see it clearing up. Corals are looking happy too! Seeing the fish makes me excited for adding some to my tank! Keep it up!

Thanks. I've cut down my feeding and kept up on the water changes and it seems to be better. I'm really going to start focusing on my water chemistry in the new year. Right now I'm only testing salinity and temperature. :o

My girlfriend pointed out that the female clown has grown quite a bit today. I hadn't even noticed until she said something but it's obvious now who the female is and who the male is now.

Archived