Pod Your Reef

Ribbies Rimless 15G Reef

ribbie

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting a lot of water in the collection cup so I decided to move it up a bit. Big water change tonight as well. Not much else to report.

• 2 weeks later...

I sold my salt to my friend and Im going to switch to reef salt. Will this harm the tank by straight switching to a different salt??

That's my plan. :o

I sold my salt to my friend and Im going to switch to reef salt. Will this harm the tank by straight switching to a different salt??

That's my plan. :o

People always say to mix it gradually. I think that its stupid. As long as you arent doing a 100% WC then what is the harm? The of it like you acclimate new corals to your tank. Everyone in the world doesnt use the same salt. Remember its salt not dog food.

People always say to mix it gradually. I think that its stupid. As long as you arent doing a 100% WC then what is the harm? The of it like you acclimate new corals to your tank. Everyone in the world doesnt use the same salt. Remember its salt not dog food.

yeah I dont want to stress the livestock that's my big concern. I'm still going to go ahead with it unless someone tells me otherwise.

Ribbie when you got your Remora, was the screw in the intake in there tight or was it loose?

I ask because I am getting a lot of frothing and it has drained out a few times and lots of microbubbles in the tank.

I switched from IO to Red Sea, no probs. I don't see how doing a 10-20% WC with a different salt would harm anything as long as sg, temp were similar as usual...

Ribbie when you got your Remora, was the screw in the intake in there tight or was it loose?

I ask because I am getting a lot of frothing and it has drained out a few times and lots of microbubbles in the tank.

The screw is in there pretty tight. I haven't adjusted it at all. Lately I've got some microbubbles in the display but I haven't cleaned the unit yet and it's been running two weeks. Going to do a massive clean tomorrow with a water change and I"ll let you know.

I'm getting much better results now that I've raised the collector cup.

I switched from IO to Red Sea, no probs. I don't see how doing a 10-20% WC with a different salt would harm anything as long as sg, temp were similar as usual...

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks cruiZe.

• 2 weeks later...

It's time to replace my stock bulbs in my Current Sundial. I'm looking at getting:

- 1 KZ Fiji Purple

- 1 KZ Coral Light II

- 2 Giesemann Actinic+

Any thoughts?? I think this will give me a bluer look and help promote some coloration in my sps?

New bulbs have been ordered. Went with a fiji, coral, actinic and a blue. Should be pretty darn blue now! I also ordered some reef salt.

Bad news though, my white goby has disappeared now. :'( Just like the yellow one it's just vanished without a trace. I'm quite sad about that, I guess there's just not enough territory in the tank with my green clown goby and my two clowns.

I'm done adding livestock for a good while just going to let it grow now while I prepare to find a place.

FUUU now I cant find my green clown goby :angry:

And my salt still isnt here.... :( I need to do a water change badly. It's going on 2 weeks now.

New bulbs and salt will hopefully be here tomorrow.

YAY! Lights are here.

Ended up going with:

- 1 KZ Fiji Purple

- 1 Giesemann AquaBlue+

- 1 KZ Coral Light II

- 1 Giesemann Actinic+

In that order. Here's the pics:

This one is with manual settings auto whitebalanced before the picture was taken:

120otgi.jpg

Here's an auto:

2wm3xw9.jpg

Manual with the KZ+ Coral Light:

72x4x0.jpg

Manual with the Geisemanns:

2dam1qw.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with the look. I kind of worried that I'd gone "too blue" but I think it looks great. I also got my reef salt so I'm going to switch to that this weekend. :D

I've put the breaks on stocking right now. I'm looking to buy a place and likely upgrade to something a bit larger with a sump when I move. We'll see! Thanks for the comments.

new reef salt is in :D

not much to report on the tank. I'm going to forward with the new tank build but unfortunately that brings a lot of research.

Liking the idea of a 2' cube.

Must haves:

ATO

Overflow

Sump

I'm thinking about getting the ATO set up and hooking it up to my existing tank so it's easier to run when I'm not around (and in my new place).

Also, gotta start saving for an mp20. New tank direction will be on my clowns and some anemones. :D

I was thinkiing of looking into a almost exactly similar build. Except i want to go AIO, i saw one made by ewing last time i was there and he can put them together really nicely. I just want a tank big enough for a tang :P

Hmm, looks pretty great! Also, can't wait to see how the next build goes (I almost enjoy the building part more than the maintaining part :lol: )

Oh yeah, one more thing... if an animal dies in a well operating reef tank, I don't think that there should really be anything left (and the water doesn't get polluted by dead bodies like in a freshwater tank). Scavengers are efficient that way.

• 2 weeks later...

dirty glass is dirty

24137g9.jpg

growth photos

k55s2s.jpg

my brain is growing

b9g7rb.jpg

dunno what this is but it's not dying so that's good! (the one tip has been dead the whole time)

2z4xmw8.jpg

candy cane is doing ok.... when I added my sps I changed the flow in the tank and didnt realize the candy can was gettign high flow. Poor thing had a huge hole ripped in it and I thought I was going to lose it. So far, the bottom heads are splitting again and the top heads are remaining the same size. The hole is still present but closing slowly.

16915s2.jpg

my zoanthids are growing out of control... I really dont know how to frag them but I should look into it one of these days. :o

f2vqms.jpg

in fact, there's so many I cant even count them all!

zjgf9u.jpg

my gsp has roughly doubled in size (another item i'd like to frag)

99piy8.jpg

99piy8.jpg

I dont know what this algae is but it's really started to fourish:

2rbz7lx.jpg

And my first frag, still doing it's thing in the back corner of the tank!

9zq9h1.jpg

Thanks for looking

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello again!

I have been completely silent on these forums for over a year now but I do still have my tank. I recently moved into a new place and will be setting up my tank again this weekend. Currently everything is in a big rubber maid with a light over it.

The zoos are THRIVING. I have well over 200 watermelons. I've added some new pieces and also lost some. I'll be putting up some new pics soon!

Will also be updating the first post with more recent shots and updated list of CUC. Ordered a whole new crew from JL which will be here tomorrow afternoon.

Archived