Cultivated Reef

JBM's 40 breeder

JBM

Your both asshats!

J/k

I'm not ocd, really I'm not. I just like pretty, shapely things.

Frag placement tonight.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SO last night me & the wife, we found a new apartment. Still in massapequa, but about 10 minutes north.

SO all hands will be needed to help move this tank.

SO last night me & the wife, we found a new apartment. Still in massapequa, but about 10 minutes north.

SO all hands will be needed to help move this tank.

LMK what I can do for ya! ;)

SpankythePyro
No can do, then there would be no room for my future 150g.

Knock down your bedroom wall and claim some room in your neighbors apt.

it's in a house, so that wouldnt work out.

dave!

idk what you can do yet.... is your gf's tank up & running yet? Does she have a tank running? Maybe holding onto my frags

GAH!!!!

atleast this move will be the last for a couple of years & my wife promised me that i could add a refugium. SO in a month or so i'll have a 20g fuge

SpankythePyro

29 :P

and oh well just take over the house.... accidents do happen to people from time to time ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Either it's the luck of the draw, or I'm doing something right. Cleaner shrimp has only been in the tank for 30 hours or so; and has already molted.

It has an interesting behavior during feeding. It actually jumps off the LR & free swims to catch nearby food. I have yet to witness it cleaning any of my fish, but I'm sure it does or will happen soon.

Our shrimp feeds like that sometimes also. As far as cleaning I see our doing most of the cleaning at night. If you want to watch it clean just stick your finger next to it. We do that when we do our weekly water changes. Our duaghter loves it. :D

MAJOR PICHER UPDATE!

6690_124755285738_600630738_3042220_2354708_n.jpg

found this little guy at my LFS, i kinda like it & hope that it really colors up some more. I know my 14k bulb will help.

6690_124755290738_600630738_3042221_7385804_n.jpg

just another upclose macro of my zoa rock. I want to try fraggin, but i dont want to ruin the epic-ness of it

6690_124755305738_600630738_3042223_285318_n.jpg

these are the bleached out purple deaths. They have gotten much better since i moved them to it's current spot. Im hopping in a few more weeks they will be back to normal.

6690_124755310738_600630738_3042224_1032679_n.jpg

these are just some no named pink zoa's that my wife liked. you can also see more of zoa rock in this photo. Also in the background (not in focus) are some more "zoa rock" polyps from when it was in the 29g. A few transferred onto that arch looking rock.

6690_124755320738_600630738_3042225_7252064_n.jpg

reverse gorilla nipples basking in the 14k goodness. Since i've gotten them i've seen atleast 3 or 4 new polyps. & there are another easy 2-3 babys on the back side.

6690_124755330738_600630738_3042226_488282_n.jpg

jasmine & her man leaving the fish wash (next pic will explain more)

6690_124755340738_600630738_3042227_2827800_n.jpg

it's the fish wash, bubba cleans all the fish daily. it's cute.

thats all for now,hope you enjoyed.

btw, did a WC today.

i can see how it's a pain.

in other news, my hippo wont eat lettuce & doesnt like seaweed (the 6 line wrasse in there eats it more than anybody else). WTF!?!?!?!??

it's eatting mysis shrimp & a mixed flake (prime reef & formula 1 i believe) the flake i know has "added garlic" and the mysis shrimp i soak in xtreme garlic over night. But im concerned that the hippo isnt getting enough algae in it's diet.

any suggestion?

Love the new pics--great frogspawn! :D

As for the hippo, I would try another type of seaweed, and then not worry too much as long as he's eating the flakes, but that's my uneducated opinion. :D

I have 1 variety of the seaweed, idk why I called it algae. I'll have to try another brand.

I was watching it this am before I left for work. It's interested in the seaweed, I know this cause it will swim right up to it & look. Swim away for 10 seconds; repeate process. I guess it just doesn't have the balls to grab a snack.

It is eating the flake tho, which is algae based. I just hope I'm not starving the little guy. I generally feed that tank twice a day. Around 5pm & then again around 10pm. A good mix of frozen foods (mysis, plankton, shrimp,cyclopleez, garlic etc...) & flake food.

Also getting another bottle of tiger pods in today. I'm not stocking up for anything, just adding them cause I can.

Ap123,

I'm glad you like the frog spawn. If it does well (which it should, everything else in my tank is) I might venture into getting a hammer, or a torch.

SpankythePyro

Its a pain when you can get an extra 10mins of sleep lol, I volunteer 8 hrs a day, have class for 3hrs, and then run my business for 4-6hrs.

I would suggest culturing the tiger pods, $20/bottle is expensive

I was unaware that tiger pods could be cultured. But I guess once I have moved into a new place (god knows when that will be). I'm planning on hooking up my old 29 as a huge refugium (like 18 gallon fuge & 5 gallon return area) So that will be the place where I culture & grow more pods.

The full plan (atleast in my head) is to use my 600gph wier overflow box. Down 4' of flex tubing into a 4x4x18h corner inlet of the 29g. From there the fuge will be atleast 12 x 20(the 4x4 corner inclusive). With the remaining 12 x 10 being the return area. In the return area will reside a mag 5 (or other 350-400 gph equivalent pump) there will be a T & a ball valve to re-direct flow back into the fuge for further circulation.

Going back up to the tank will reside a 3/4 scwd, then to two spray bars on the ends of the tank facing each other (hidden by the black trim) for surface agitation.

But I will look into cultivating my own for now.

Anybody have any tips or tricks for catching a fish? A lfs wants my paired clowns in trade for a flame angel.

But the f*ckers are to quick for me to catch them

You know it's a tossup whether or not the Flame Angel will nibble at your corals, right?

Some do, some don't.

Hmm, wasn't it you who offered to catch my coral beauty earlier? :huh::P

PS: I posted new pics today! (shameless attempt to direct you to my thread)

Anybody have any tips or tricks for catching a fish? A lfs wants my paired clowns in trade for a flame angel.

But the f*ckers are to quick for me to catch them

Cyanide or bleach is always a good choice ... j/k. I guess I got lucky with my fishies ... put some food in the net and in they went. :D lol

You know it's a tossup whether or not the Flame Angel will nibble at your corals, right?

Some do, some don't.

+1

Archived