Pod Your Reef

JBM's 40 breeder

JBM

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did my bi weekly 5gallon WC last night.

noticed a bit of brown algae starting to form on my koralia's & on the output of my fluval 304. either way i sucked it up.

other than that, the tank is fat dumb & happy. everybody is eatting nicely & all of my zoanthids are open all the time

did my bi weekly 5gallon WC last night.

noticed a bit of brown algae starting to form on my koralia's & on the output of my fluval 304. either way i sucked it up.

other than that, the tank is fat dumb & happy. everybody is eatting nicely & all of my zoanthids are open all the time

Tank is coming along nicely ... nice score at the swap! ... personally I would add a backdrop to the tank so you don't see all the equipment, tubing etc.etc. ... plus the colors of the corals will be more predominant. Just a thought! Also can you stick your hand in the tank with those Maroon's in there? Nasty little (well not really little) buggers! I saw you wanted to add a chiller to the tank ... I would try using some more fans ... you will get alot of evaporation but it's really $$$ to be running a chiller, let alone purchasing one ... exhaust the other options first! :D

-David

Weetabix7

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Closed Loops, so I won't be much help to you there.

I think you're on the right track in considering a way to get better flow in there though.

I was looking at your FTS and wondering if you had flow issues with the way you have your aquascape; I would think you might have a hard time getting very good flow through the middle of it.

Have you considered moving the LR a little bit to make it a more open aquascape?

I would be concerned that you would get some bad detritus build up with it the way it is, unless you can find another way to get good flow going through it.

Do you have any powerheads blowing behind your rockwork?

Have you considered just having some hidden within the rockwork and blowing through it?

Looks like you got a bunch of nice new Zoa frags, are they doing well for you?

Tank is coming along nicely ... nice score at the swap! ... personally I would add a backdrop to the tank so you don't see all the equipment, tubing etc.etc. ... plus the colors of the corals will be more predominant. Just a thought! Also can you stick your hand in the tank with those Maroon's in there? Nasty little (well not really little) buggers! I saw you wanted to add a chiller to the tank ... I would try using some more fans ... you will get alot of evaporation but it's really $$$ to be running a chiller, let alone purchasing one ... exhaust the other options first!

Yea, i had a huge list of things that i wanted.... sadly i didnt get 1/2 of what i wanted (and i still got alot) i really want purple & blue hornets, alfa & omega's, creamsicles... the list goes on & on really. Put it this way, if i got 1 polyp of everything i wanted, i would be missing 4 figures from my bank account.

Yes i do stick my hand in the tank. I even feed the larger maroon by hand 3-4 x a week. been doing it for a few months now (also hand fed in the hex tank). Now that i added a 6 line wrasse, it is starting to get "interested" in a hand out.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Closed Loops, so I won't be much help to you there.

I think you're on the right track in considering a way to get better flow in there though.

I was looking at your FTS and wondering if you had flow issues with the way you have your aquascape; I would think you might have a hard time getting very good flow through the middle of it.

Have you considered moving the LR a little bit to make it a more open aquascape?

I would be concerned that you would get some bad detritus build up with it the way it is, unless you can find another way to get good flow going through it.

Do you have any powerheads blowing behind your rockwork?

Have you considered just having some hidden within the rockwork and blowing through it?

Looks like you got a bunch of nice new Zoa frags, are they doing well for you?

i have 4 power heads in the tank. (2) koralia nanos & (2) koralia 1's

see here

n600630738_2364016_55489.jpg

n600630738_2364017_153340.jpg

& snapped off a crappy cell pic to show the whole shebang

follow the snail in the middle of the tank, straight down. you shall see 1 koralia hiding there. the other is hidden by the mushrooms

2874_97540135738_600630738_2558029_6009807_n.jpg

moving the lr isnt really an option, as it's all a very very tight squeeze (a nimble wont fit between the space i have), besides having a 14 month old running around isnt exactly good for aquascaping. You should have seen me trying to glue & mount my frags the day i came home from the swap. i was using any appendage i had free to stop her from grabing the zoas & trying to eat them.

all of the zoas are doing amazing. i think my candycanes are gonna split heads soon, one looks like it is trying to split into 3 sepperate pieces.

i'll try to get more pics soon

Yea, i had a huge list of things that i wanted.... sadly i didnt get 1/2 of what i wanted (and i still got alot) i really want purple & blue hornets, alfa & omega's, creamsicles... the list goes on & on really. Put it this way, if i got 1 polyp of everything i wanted, i would be missing 4 figures from my bank account.

Yes i do stick my hand in the tank. I even feed the larger maroon by hand 3-4 x a week. been doing it for a few months now (also hand fed in the hex tank). Now that i added a 6 line wrasse, it is starting to get "interested" in a hand out.

LMAO!!! Cool ... Purple Hornets are sick ... they are awesome! You are also on MR yeah? Check Bl007 or Lazibonez ... I think they will have the Blue Hornets for you! :D

-David

LMAO!!! Cool ... Purple Hornets are sick ... they are awesome! You are also on MR yeah? Check Bl007 or Lazibonez ... I think they will have the Blue Hornets for you! :D

-David

i have been trying to convince people to frag me a single polyp for ever. i guess i will have to wait another month or so for some stuff to grow.

oh & i hate my uncle right now, he just gave his neighbor a 150rr fully stocked (fowlr) tank for FREE

it was supposed to be mine.

i have been trying to convince people to frag me a single polyp for ever. i guess i will have to wait another month or so for some stuff to grow.

oh & i hate my uncle right now, he just gave his neighbor a 150rr fully stocked (fowlr) tank for FREE

it was supposed to be mine.

Damn ... that sucks on the tank ... you need to go and reclaim your territory boy!!! NOW!!! :D Don't let that tank get away from you!!!

Purple Hornets ... back room deals my friend ... back room deals ... that's all I got to say about that ;)

might have a line on blue hornets which is equally awsome.

high res pics tonight or tommorow

might have a line on blue hornets which is equally awsome.

high res pics tonight or tommorow

Give a shout out to Lazibonez (Alan) or Benny (i think that's hit name) BL007 ... they should have the Blue Hornets. :D

decided to hold off on adding more zoas

i noticed my nuclear greens are starting to loose there "luster" like they are nowhere near as green anymore. everything else is happy, so idk

maybe a bulb change? or move the nuc's?

as a side note,

i love my CUC from reefcleaners. It is such overkill that i only have to clean the glass once a week. And even then, it takes me maybe 2 minutes (even with my nimble)

this weekend i will be doing a wc & cleaning the filter again. Have to keep doing it as, im still running a canister.

Eventually i will sit down and make plans for my 15Lx12Wx15H sump

decided to hold off on adding more zoas

i noticed my nuclear greens are starting to loose there "luster" like they are nowhere near as green anymore. everything else is happy, so idk

maybe a bulb change? or move the nuc's?

I actually keep my Nuclear Greens and Purple Deaths (although they should really be called brown deaths since a lot of them lose their color, when I see them up for sale ... lol) in a slightly shaded area beneath some SPS ... colors stay nice and vibrant for both of these palys ...

So is this tank going to be completely zoa dominated?

-David

not really zoa dominated, but more crazy vibrant color dominated.

i really just want epic colors all over the place.

not really zoa dominated, but more crazy vibrant color dominated.

i really just want epic colors all over the place.

What you need are more SPS ;)

my daughter lost my memory card..... GRRRRRR

so now i have to go buy a new one. so no pics.

:-(

debating on which bulb to get,

ushio 14k

or

pheonix 14k

i believe there is a pheonix 14k in there now.

i also have a spare coralife 20k. what does NR think?

Archived